Say goodbye to DODs and Hurricane cups

dotshub

Carnival is cutting back on way to many things. If this is true (on top of everthing else) I think I will stick with RCCL. I would rather see them raise thier prices a little instead of always cutting back. Lower prices are nice to a point and then you start to get what you pay for. In other words pay little, get little. :(

I can see it now, telling RCCL you booked with them because Carnival wouldn't give you your fancy glass:D

I disagree. Keep hearing this argument but the reality is that Carnival is simply just cheaper than any other line. Having sailed others I found the money invested was invested well and thus giving me a good value for my money.

Cheap doesn't = good value.

Then we agree to disagree.

Your Reality ^= The Reality of the Majority

Enjoy the other cruise line!

Carnival is still the best values, bar none. Enjoy RCCL (who has really cutback).

I enjoy RC too, but I seem to remember a few years back people being really disappointed when they got rid of the chocolates on the pillows at night. (Did they bring those back?)

Just got back from our quick getaway on The Fantasy April 13-18th and DOD's in the hurricane glasses were plentiful with the drink changing daily, just as it did in the past. Also plentiful were Coconuit Monkeyheads, Blowfish cups, Whale's Tail cups, etc.

Same on the Miracle..we just got off yesterday. Lots of people don't even take the cups.

Then we agree to disagree.

Your Reality ^= The Reality of the Majority

Enjoy the other cruise line!

Why would I limit myself to one cruise line? I Would sail carnival again when my budget called for that. Never said I didn't like Carnival, just that I have found better value for my money on other lines.

My uncle and his partner are on the Magic as I type this. They have been posting pics and updates on Facebook. They are still being served drinks exactly like Sargent Schultz posted above and also in the clear hurricane glasses with blue lettering ;)

Isn't this already in place on Liberty since 2.0 upgrades?

I seem to recall they no longer have the DOD glasses on Liberty,

they have the Rum Bar etc huge glasses, the new "blowfish" and disco ball

available at some point but no more DOD "Best day" or whatever glasses?

My guess is they will start selling the "yard" glasses etc, like they do on Liberty. Carnival may have figured that Senor Frog's is making $$ on them

and they plan to follow??

Yup, there weren't ANY hurricane glasses during our Liberty sailing in November.

Why would I limit myself to one cruise line? I Would sail carnival again when my budget called for that. Never said I didn't like Carnival, just that I have found better value for my money on other lines.

I think everyone should try other lines if they can afford it.

I stand by Carnival is the best value for my money and apparently a lot of other cruisers agree.

I'm writing to you from the Legend, it's my final sea day and I'm back in Tampa tomorrow. So far I've collected the Hurricane glass, the Whale Tail, the Puffer Fish, and the Monkey Head. The DOD's are going strong here.:D

We have two DOD glasses from the Mardi Gras 1985. Same shape as the plastic ones. Clear glass w/ the red and blue Carnival logo on one side and "The fun ships of Carnival on the other. Anyone want to bid on them. LOL

Please don't flame me,because I too think the the prices of four beers at over twenty four dollars is a little high.However,I love to criuse ,and love the prices of a week at sea.This is what I found on the internet---Bunker fuel out of Los Angeles is at $1.66 a gallon.Yes, that a lot cheaper then over $4 that I put in my Corvette,but I read that a large ship can go 44 feet on one gallon of fuel.So mess with my drinks if they must,but don't put a surcharge on my ticket price or raise it so high we can not afford to travel anymore.We were on the Valor last Feb,and there wasn't a thing I could say that I needed to complain about,even the $24 beer.

Since everyone loves them so much you would think CarnivaL could just raise the price of the drinks by a nickle so they could keep the cups.

Cabin prices are not set according to cost plus adding profit on top; they are set by market demand. That is why prices are higher in summer and holidays- demand. If demand is real low, they'll lower prices until ship is full, even if they are losing money on those sold cabins. A small loss per cabin is more acceptable than a larger loss if they sail with that cabin being vacant. If, overall they have to keep prices so low that they are losing money, they move the ship- it is as simple as that.

CCL prices are lower than everyone else's because the market thinks they are worth the least. They can't increase prices because demand will drop even more (I am really digging into that micro econ class I took 25 years ago here !), so the only way they can increase profit is to make more cuts. Of course, what is happening is the more cuts, the less likely people are to repeat cruising with them, which decreases demand, so they are in a vicious cycle, a race to the bottom.

Just off Freedom's six day....no souvenir hurricane cups in sight. I did see the disco ball, monkey head, whale tail, and flashing shot glass (during deck party). Do not recall seeing the puffer fish but that doesn't mean it wasn't there - I'm just saying I don't recall seeing it.

On last sea day, I did see some pineapple thing. Didn't think to get a pic of it. (sorry!) I think it was a real pineapple with top cut off and drink poured in, but not certain. I don't ever recall seeing this before in previous cruises, but then again I'm more of a beer/wine drinker so I don't pay much attention to the souvenir cups/drinks.

I couldn't care less if you could care less. :p This is the only thread, from one ship, by one person, that has been duplicated on other sites.

Reminds me of Mayor Schiro - "Believe No False Rumors Unless You Hear Them From Me!" :D

I never get why some people want so much to believe negative Carnival rumours.

Betting these cups are not being discontinued. Still haven't heard why Carnival would want to do this. Silly.

If they are out it is just temporary.

Cabin prices are not set according to cost plus adding profit on top; they are set by market demand. That is why prices are higher in summer and holidays- demand. If demand is real low, they'll lower prices until ship is full, even if they are losing money on those sold cabins. A small loss per cabin is more acceptable than a larger loss if they sail with that cabin being vacant. If, overall they have to keep prices so low that they are losing money, they move the ship- it is as simple as that.

CCL prices are lower than everyone else's because the market thinks they are worth the least. They can't increase prices because demand will drop even more (I am really digging into that micro econ class I took 25 years ago here !), so the only way they can increase profit is to make more cuts. Of course, what is happening is the more cuts, the less likely people are to repeat cruising with them, which decreases demand, so they are in a vicious cycle, a race to the bottom.

Wrong, but thanks for playing.

The prices are lower because Carnival can. Their fixed costs are substantially lower than other cruise lines. The variable costs are the only thing they monkey with, which again, are substantially lower than other cruise lines.

Repeat business doesn't grow a cruise line or pay for new ships or major renovations. New customers do.

Absolutely true!

Look at the prices of new Breeze! Not exactly cheap. Why? Because they can. Carnival would love to raise price when they can. But they have to keep it low when they can't, which is most of the time.

I was on the Glory back in Feb and we had the carnival hurricain logo glass but only for the drink of the day thats it if you wanted a miami vice or kiss on the lips you got in in a clear hurricain class that was a little smaller there were no discounts for refills and they take the class and recycle it when your done they also had the monky whale tail the new puffer fish and at night the bars had a big disco ball ... they only change was that you cant get any drink in the DOD glass

Archived