Say goodbye to DODs and Hurricane cups

dotshub

I just got off the Elation today and we had the plastic DOD hurricane cups!! They also have the disco ball, funnel, fish, and coconut head cups to buy. I bought the monkey head yesterday!!! I also have 8 of the DOD cups in my bag!!! Maybe they didn't get the shipment in for that cruise. I don't see how that would be a cut back because we are paying for them cups anyway. They make a fortune on alcohol!! I doubt that they will just completely stop selling them!!

Carnivore loves cutbacks. Newbies love em. No more shrimps and escargot gone. Whats next? Chocolate Mint on Pillow

Wow, it took 4 whole minutes for you to chime in. Slowing down in your old age? Carnivore, hardy har har har! U so funny....not!

I can see it now, telling RCCL you booked with them because Carnival wouldn't give you your fancy glass:D

To be honest with you I don't even buy them because it is a cheap overpriced plastic glass. I also can see that several of you are very loyal to Carnival, which is fine. I have nothing against them. I just agree with Dave994 "cheap doesn't = good value." They are just making cuts in way too many places. Just increase the cost of the trip. I have priced several lines and Carnival is usually the cheapest so I don't think that they would lose any clientele.

I also know that RCCL is making cuts too but to me there's aren't as noticeable because they still seem to offer more.

I guess you can start thumping me now for my comments. Please remember I didn't say Carnival was a bad cruise line. I enjoy going on them still and I prbably always will. I just don't expect a lot of glitz and glamour from them

Wrong, but thanks for playing.

The prices are lower because Carnival can. Their fixed costs are substantially lower than other cruise lines. The variable costs are the only thing they monkey with, which again, are substantially lower than other cruise lines.

Repeat business doesn't grow a cruise line or pay for new ships or major renovations. New customers do.

You are giving an armchair opinion- can you say how that relates to microeconomics? Of course you can't, you are just typing the equivalent of hot air.

If CCL were to double the price of their cabins, would that double their revenue? Of course not, cabins would go unsold and they would lose money. The people who set prices at CCL are not like you, ignorant on the concept of economics, they do understand it and study a variety of factors to set prices. Cabins are a perishable commodity, they have to be priced to sell. Too high and they go unsold. Too low and profit is lost. And, you are quite wrong about repeat customers- they are the backbone of the company, if there were no repeat customers, these ships would be half empty. No one knows the exact % of repeat customers, but I bet it is declining with all the cut backs. CCL tracks this (see, these are the kind of things people do when they have a business background) and that is why they have reps they make cold calls to past CCL cruisers to get them back on board (got two last week).

They price cabins as high as they can, without being stuck with money losing vacant cabins. Prices are low because they can't sell them for more. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Shoot~now I will actually have to buy some souvenirs instead of giving away my hurricane cups :eek:

Nah, If you need more, just go to the local Thrift Store or Goodwill. I don't think that I have been in a Goodwill or Thrift Store in the last ten years that didn't have 4 or 5 of the Carnival Hurricane Glasses on the shelf for under a buck each.

(Although, I haven't seen the Puffer, Whale Tail, or Disco ball in the stores yet.

And you usually help a charity by buying there.

You know you are one of the most helpful posters on this site. Thank you

You're welcome!

I found the disco balls in the, Disco. You can buy them with or without a drink. In my case, they handed my coupons at the door for $2 off anything - must have been a slow night.

I didn't get a fish cup, but those are by the pool bars (and maybe other places). On Magic they seem to rotate through different cups on different days and when they sold out for the day, it as too bad, so sad. Even though I knew that had more in central stores.

All I'm going to say is, I love watching the armchair economist and ship operators on this site. I didn't realize how easy it is to run a cruise line. Maybe we should all start our own and run it exactly like we want...

+1

Those who can, do. Those who can't, post about those who do?

I'm writing to you from the Legend, it's my final sea day and I'm back in Tampa tomorrow. So far I've collected the Hurricane glass, the Whale Tail, the Puffer Fish, and the Monkey Head. The DOD's are going strong here.:D

Here's to you keeping the boat safe for me for my Sept. cruise

We have two DOD glasses from the Mardi Gras 1985. Same shape as the plastic ones. Clear glass w/ the red and blue Carnival logo on one side and "The fun ships of Carnival on the other. Anyone want to bid on them. LOL

:D Oh I have those too! From over 20 years ago!

Agree, it's not very festive to run around with a thin plasic glass. It's tradition to overpay for that hurricane glass.

Awwwww...that bums me out! I was so looking forward to my bright pink hurricane DOD to add to my collection! :eek:

I still miss the glass foo do drink glasses, tall and short. Still have my entire collection, using them on many party occasions, and are free advertising.

You can keep the plastic crap, regardless of the color or design.

Come on folks, this site is suppose to be for helping fellow cruisers, not debating them. As far as the DOD glasses, in any given hour, you can find close to fifty of them sitting around where people bought them and didn't take them with them. Maybe "The Ties" saw this and figured it was a way to save money. Who knows for sure. Not worth arguing over though.

Glad I have about thirty of those hurricane glasses at home. A few years from now ebay and I will get along just fine.

Maybe we should all sell them back to Carnival at a discounted rate so they can continue the DOD tradition! I mean after all...it seems we have quite an abundance of cups with just the members of CC here :D

Sargent Schultz, I don"t know how long you have been a Carnival customer, but if you can"t acknowledge all the cutbacks since the Bean Counter replaced Uncle Bob, then you haven"t been paying attention. I have been sailing with Carnival over twenty years and am a loyal customer and at one time was a cheerleader, now there is nothing to cheer about. I have been on other lines including RCCL several times and thought they had the prettier ships, but came back because I thought the food was superior on Carnival and I liked the Carnival experience,but alas I can't overlook the shrimp cocktail being gone, it pains me that I'm Platinum and now have to build up my status somewhere else. I just can't tolerate any more cutbacks. I say I have to agree with dclark on this one. Carnival was always a great experience with good value, no longer the case, they would have been better served to raise the cruise price than cutback, which wouldn't affect new cruisers as much as cutbacks affect repeat customers which is the backbone of any cruise line.

Gator Man, I carefully read your well written comments. 3 points. First, haven't other lines also cut back.

Reading the RCI, NCL boards suggest they have.

Secondly ,perhaps you have gotten a bit bored with the same old same old with Carnival and need a change.

Finally, the current Carnival loyalty program is sadly lacking. John assures me the new program is coming any day now.:rolleyes:

Perhaps new perks will brighten your outlook.

Archived