Say goodbye to DODs and Hurricane cups

dotshub

Sargent Schultz, I don"t know how long you have been a Carnival customer, but if you can"t acknowledge all the cutbacks since the Bean Counter replaced Uncle Bob, then you haven"t been paying attention. I have been sailing with Carnival over twenty years and am a loyal customer and at one time was a cheerleader, now there is nothing to cheer about. I have been on other lines including RCCL several times and thought they had the prettier ships, but came back because I thought the food was superior on Carnival and I liked the Carnival experience,but alas I can't overlook the shrimp cocktail being gone, it pains me that I'm Platinum and now have to build up my status somewhere else. I just can't tolerate any more cutbacks. I say I have to agree with dclark on this one. Carnival was always a great experience with good value, no longer the case, they would have been better served to raise the cruise price than cutback, which wouldn't affect new cruisers as much as cutbacks affect repeat customers which is the backbone of any cruise line.

Uncle Bob was one of the biggest penny pinchers ever. Back in the day, hurricane glasses were made of real glass. Can't blame that on the current administration.

The people who are still upset over a few cheap, harvested from polluted water, imported shrimp is underwhelming. Carnival probably saved your life by reducing your exposure to such hazards. You're welcome.

I've been on RCCL, NCL, Princess, HAL, and more. Carnival is still home for me.

What is amazing is the glasses haven't been eliminated. If a piece of plastic makes your day, book a Carnival cruise and stock up. You have plenty of time. 2.0 will take years to implement. :)

And yes, they are still on Carnival Magic. Cheers!

DSC_6441.JPG

DSC_6442.JPG

Let me see if I have this straight.

People can still get the same Drink of the Day in the same size for a lower price but they are upset about not having the privilege of paying a dollar extra to be served in a two-cent plastic glass that's either going to be thrown out the same day, get broken at some time during the cruise, or wind up in your home along with a bunch of other tacky souvenirs gathering dust.

Uh huh.

No, you didnt get it straight. The new daily drink specials are served in a SMALLER cup, and they no longer offer the lower refill price we used to get using the hurricane cups for drinks after the first one.

There are NEW souvenir glasses available...

The disco ball pictured earlier - $12.95 including Rum Punch Fever, but I would imaging you could get other drinks

disco2.jpg

Souvenir shot glasses - almost free with shot purchase (ok, not quite, but cheap - $1.50 and GLASS}

ss3.jpg

There are others.

I turned the other cheek when the Captain's Gala was eliminated. No more free drinks and apps. Just 1 dollar off of drinks for an hour or so. Yes I know they moved the free drinks to the last night but they managed to get rid of the delicious apps in the process. The Captain's Gala was a nice event and it was somewhat worth it to get dressed up. There were tons more evening gowns and tuxes back in those days, but now? I see why it has toned down a lot. I mean what's the point?

I didn't say anything when the apps at the past guest party went from peppered shrimp and quiche to cheese, grapes and chicken salad. I was in shock the first time I saw the waiters bringing these around.

I didn't say anything when the grill eliminated the steak sandwiches and the Lido eliminated the fruit punch.

I didn't say anything when the ten to twelve piece show bands dwindled down to, what...5 members?

I didn't say anything when Carnival touted the Comedy Club as some new amazing experience when in fact all they did was move the comedians from the main show lounge to a smaller lounge in the back and eliminate the Jazz Band that used to play back there at night.

I didn't say a thing about the elimination of the nightly dirt cheap shrimp cocktail.

I didn't say anything when I no longer had an assigned table for ALL of my meals in the MDR. This was actually fine with me, no big deal. But I do know some people loved seeing their wait staff at all meals. Definitely personalized the service.

Which brings me to the service. LOL. I didn't say a word when I realized that my servers now had twice as many tables and the quality of the service in the MDR started to dwindle. Same with room stewards. Wonder why so many people rarely see them or don't even know who they are? They don't have time because they now they have twice as many rooms as they have had in the past.

I continued to wait patiently as Carnival remained the only cruise line in the industry with no type of hot food on their room service menu. I knew it wouldn't be long before it was changed but here I am 16 years later...still waiting.

And don't even get me started on the circus that is the loyalty program.

Now the elimination of the hurricane glasses...while not a big deal, it so much represents a Carnival cruise. What beats the feeling of hearing your Sail and Sign card ding and stepping aboard the ship the first time and having a waiter hand you a Fun Ship Special in that "Officially The Best Day Ever" glass? Nothing.

I could go on and on but I'm tired of typing. All these "little" cuts here and there, while they don't seem to be a big deal at the time, add up to be completely annoying.

I don't usually quote long blocks of text, but this post is exactly why CCL is headed in the direction that it is. Not this particular poster, but the thousand's of CCL past guests who sucked up every little cut that CCL has thrown our way with nary a whimper. And to those of you who say, "Oh well, I don't like shrimp." Or "Oh well, they're only cheap plastic glasses." What happens when the next small, insignificant cut is something that you happen to love?

I don't pretend to understand all the economic-speak being bandied about on this thread, but I've always been lead to believe that repeat customers were the backbone of a business. New customers are great, and necessary, but loyal customers are who get you through lean economic times. Loyal customers are also worth their weight in gold when it comes to word of mouth advertising. How many friends and family have you folks taken on cruises because of your enthusiasm for the product?

It seems to me that CCL doesn't value it's past guests as it should. That's been apparent from the crappy loyalty program for years. And now, all these tiny, little cuts, one at a time. Big deal, right? :rolleyes:

There are NEW souvenir glasses available...

The disco ball pictured earlier - $12.95 including Rum Punch Fever, but I would imaging you could get other drinks

disco2.jpg

Souvenir shot glasses - almost free with shot purchase (ok, not quite, but cheap - $1.50 and GLASS}

ss3.jpg

There are others.

This. :)

Change ^= Cutback

Carnival has added a number of new choices while occasionally removing old, tired, choices.

There are an ever declining number of passengers who think men should still dress like penguins for dinner. While you may dress like a penguin, if desired, there are other choices, too. Choice is good. Change happens. :)

Those stuck in a rut need to get with the program. Or not. Embrace or be run over by change. Once again - choice. ;)

This is NOT rocket science...

2.0 "upgrade" changes the bars on the Lido...and they no longer

offer the DOD/"hurricane" glass

They still have the whale tail, coconut head, the new disco ball, blowfish

and some "shooter" flashing glasses for extra cost ....and the new "yard" glasses

OP said that DOD hurricane glass not available on his recent Dream cruise...MY guess is they are phasing this in, after all Dream is the next ship to get a (limited) 2.0 makeover

Rum bar in .....DOD glass out

Everything else here...escargot, comedy club, tons of posts about "I just had DOD hurricane glass on the Imagination/Freedom/Pride/Conquest/whatever whatever fill in the blank with a ship name means zip....those other ships have NOT had the 2.0 upgrade (yet/if ever/whatever)

All the cruisers from Liberty after her 2.0 renovation have said this...I am simply compiling the facts here

(geeze o peezo LOL)

I'll be boarding the Miracle on Saturday and will keep an eye out for the Hurricaine glasses if I remember to think about it. Last year saw them abandoned all over the place.

Anyway, wanted to say some of the comments about some comments made on this thread were really funny. Thanks for the belly laugh.

Also, regarding selling cabins for cheap just to fill the ship: Cruise lines eat some of the cost of the cabin, but will most likely make up the difference, plus, on extras such as drinks, photos, excursions, etc. It's a wise business decision.

I like cruising on Carnival, but I'm less than thrilled about the 50% increase in Bon Voyage pricing. Luckily, I read CC and bought my BV stash before the increase. Not sure what we'll do for next year: Go back to land vacations, go back to smuggling? Don't know yet. At least the wine package wasn't TOO bad this year.

I'm sorry to hear your (and Gator Mans) complaints. I understand that it is the constant drip drip drip of small issues

that add up to dissatisfaction with Carnival. I guess Carnival Corp wants to encourage experienced cruisers such as yourselves to

move up to their multiple other brands like Princess and Holland.

I would just say that things don't seem so much better at RCI and NCL. At NCL it is all a la carte if as many say, you want a quality experience.

RCL seems to want to put distance between themselves and Carnival certainly in terms of $$$'s and perhaps prestige.

They are also adding a lot more reserved seats,areas and services for those that wish to pay for them.

I don't want this for Carnival or RCI (A thread on this issue is called -Grumble????? Gripe???? Get nasty???? )

Multiple level of service are leading to a return to various classes in cruising. Steerage anyone.:rolleyes:

I think Carnival is trying to minimize the amount of additional fee's and premium add ons on its ships unlike its competitors.

Maybe they will prove to have been incorrect. Hope not.

Back to the topic, perhaps Carnival believes the tacky plactic glasses are tacky and plastic?

Totally disagree with you here. As Platinum CCL cruisers who grew tired of the cutbacks and degrading of service so we ventured out and other lines . Last year we sailed on 2 Carnival cruises. We went on the Fantasy in the Spring and the Dream in the Summer. We decided we had enough of the cutbacks and the continued degrading of service on CCL. We cruised on the NCL Star and Epic last year also and was by far the 2 best cruises we have ever been on. Yes, NCL has paid restaurants but they also offer 2 MDR, the Blue Lagoon, and the buffet. Our food in the dining room was equally as good if not better than what we have had on CCL and the Blue Lagoon was by far the best comfort food we have ever had on the high seas. Yes, NCL offers a ton of pay restaurants but look at the direction CCL is going with the new ships, fun ship 2.0, and the Sunshine (whats next the Carnival Rainbow?) with their pay venues. Yes, other lines have had cutbacks as well, but not in the areas CCL has done. CCL hired Mr. Cahill to replace "Uncle Bob" and in my eyes he has done nothing but destroy the product especially the service and entertainment. The MDR service has really becoming atrocious and its sad to see what used to be outstanding. NCL, on the other hand went out and found Mr. Sheehan who has done a remarkable job of making NCL a great product. He got to a NCL that was viewed by many as a pathetic and tarnished product and has turned that brand around and made it to where NCL is picking up loyal customers from other brands at a record pace. Where NCL shined in our view was in the entertainment department with their production shows and service. Every NCL crew member wears a pin that says S.T.Y.L.E. and its all about putting customers first. We tried CCL one last time this March and after that cruise our kids said if it wasn't NCL they wanted to stay at home...even they noticed the difference. CCL used to be innovators, now the only thing they are industry leaders in are counting pennies.

I agree with you. And my next cruise on the Magic will determine if I break up with Carnival for good. I've really had enough.

I turned the other cheek when the Captain's Gala was eliminated. No more free drinks and apps. Just 1 dollar off of drinks for an hour or so. Yes I know they moved the free drinks to the last night but they managed to get rid of the delicious apps in the process. The Captain's Gala was a nice event and it was somewhat worth it to get dressed up. There were tons more evening gowns and tuxes back in those days, but now? I see why it has toned down a lot. I mean what's the point?

I didn't say anything when the apps at the past guest party went from peppered shrimp and quiche to cheese, grapes and chicken salad. I was in shock the first time I saw the waiters bringing these around.

I didn't say anything when the grill eliminated the steak sandwiches and the Lido eliminated the fruit punch.

I didn't say anything when the ten to twelve piece show bands dwindled down to, what...5 members?

I didn't say anything when Carnival touted the Comedy Club as some new amazing experience when in fact all they did was move the comedians from the main show lounge to a smaller lounge in the back and eliminate the Jazz Band that used to play back there at night.

I didn't say a thing about the elimination of the nightly dirt cheap shrimp cocktail.

I didn't say anything when I no longer had an assigned table for ALL of my meals in the MDR. This was actually fine with me, no big deal. But I do know some people loved seeing their wait staff at all meals. Definitely personalized the service.

Which brings me to the service. LOL. I didn't say a word when I realized that my servers now had twice as many tables and the quality of the service in the MDR started to dwindle. Same with room stewards. Wonder why so many people rarely see them or don't even know who they are? They don't have time because they now they have twice as many rooms as they have had in the past.

I continued to wait patiently as Carnival remained the only cruise line in the industry with no type of hot food on their room service menu. I knew it wouldn't be long before it was changed but here I am 16 years later...still waiting.

And don't even get me started on the circus that is the loyalty program.

Now the elimination of the hurricane glasses...while not a big deal, it so much represents a Carnival cruise. What beats the feeling of hearing your Sail and Sign card ding and stepping aboard the ship the first time and having a waiter hand you a Fun Ship Special in that "Officially The Best Day Ever" glass? Nothing.

I could go on and on but I'm tired of typing. All these "little" cuts here and there, while they don't seem to be a big deal at the time, add up to be completely annoying.

I have never sailed Carnival because it was cheap. Ever. I could sail any line I choose to but Carnival gave me everything I wanted. I used to be able to go toe to toe with those that cruised other lines and talked about how cheap Carnival was and how horrible it was with facts, pictures, and evidence to the contrary. Sad to say this is no longer the case. I'll be looking forward to cruising other lines in the future. At least on most other lines I have the option of upgrading my experience if I need/want to.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Many of the posters on here do not know what it was like to cruise CCL back say 2004. CCL simply shined in every area and for those of us who remained loyal customers its sad to see just how far they have fallen. The "cheerleaders," and yes I used to be one just simply don't understand...why because the majority of them have never set foot on another cruise line, or they had never cruised when CCL was on top of their game. Which brings me to this and thats the direction CCL has decided it wants to go which is obvious with the pathetic loyalty program. They want to go after the first time cruiser who is not tired of the cutbacks because generally the first timer is awe struck at being on such a massive ship for the first time they seem to think they can get more money out of the newbie and not the repeat cruiser which I think in the end will be a poor business decision. You take the repeats off the ship and that ship is sailing at 40% capacity...not saying its going to get to that, but its not going to take much more for the extremely loyal and long time customers to start leaving in masses.

Pretty sure the bartender was pulling your leg :rolleyes: we just got off the Spirit, and although they have "featured daily drinks" and "today's drink special" they are the same prices as the DOD's, and yes the hurricane cups are still available, I threw 3 away last week.

Pretty sure he misunderstood before passing on the info.

Change ^= Cutback

Carnival has added a number of new choices while occasionally removing old, tired, choices.

There are an ever declining number of passengers who think men should still dress like penguins for dinner. While you may dress like a penguin, if desired, there are other choices, too. Choice is good. Change happens. :)

Those stuck in a rut need to get with the program. Or not. Embrace or be run over by change. Once again - choice. ;)

exactly.

choose either the line that have decreased their service and amenities to match the "low prices", converting value to cheap, or "buy up". not only to a staekhouse, a coffee, a sweet, a drink, but a whole new line, to.a whole new experience.

and carnival is helping to make that switch.

having attended two family gatherings over the weekend, i was amazed at some swear off conversations to carnival that ensued.

none of them had screen names. they were real people.

Pretty sure the bartender was pulling your leg :rolleyes: we just got off the Spirit, and although they have "featured daily drinks" and "today's drink special" they are the same prices as the DOD's, and yes the hurricane cups are still available, I threw 3 away last week.

Pretty sure he misunderstood before passing on the info.

Pretty sure that the elimination of the cups is being rolled out...just hasn't made its way to the Spirit yet.

Of the "Big" 3 NCL will be the first to go bankrupt - they have come close before. Enjoy NCL while they last.

On snails, it isn't just Carnival that is TEMPORARILY not serving them. Cruise Line Conspiracy Theory book coming out soon.

For all the Carnival haters - why are you still here? Enjoy your next cruise line and start posting on those boards. Oh, that's right! There are whiners and complainers on all of them. I think that says more about the direction of society than of cruise lines. :cool:

Pretty sure that the elimination of the cups is being rolled out...just hasn't made its way to the Spirit yet.

Exactly.....geeze oh peezo.....where is the little head knocking a desk smiley???

For all those who list ships with the hurricane glasses...or promise to tell us "if" your soon to be sailed ship has them.....it doesn't relate to the topic here

The topic here is ....they are apparently NO longer on the Dream....which is the next ship to get 2.0....we already know they are NO longer on the Liberty (1st 2.0 ship)

"roll out" is perfect explanation....when I board the (new 2.0) Glory in Nov I don't expect to find hurricane glasses *unless they change their corporate policy which I doubt

What is on other ships/cruises has NO bearing on this thread....where is the smiley that bangs it's head on the desk LOL?? Or busts up a computer screen???

Reading is fun...reading is fundamental....common sense is not common anymore

and whatever LOL

Just off the Valor yesterday and the hurricane glasses were everywhere ...and in EVERY color too! Also, the signs for the drink specials did not have any hand written price in. They were $7.50 I think.

But seriously...who cares what kind of glass the drink comes in...

Of the "Big" 3 NCL will be the first to go bankrupt - they have come close before. Enjoy NCL while they last.

On snails, it isn't just Carnival that is TEMPORARILY not serving them. Cruise Line Conspiracy Theory book coming out soon.

For all the Carnival haters - why are you still here? Enjoy your next cruise line and start posting on those boards. Oh, that's right! There are whiners and complainers on all of them. I think that says more about the direction of society than of cruise lines. :cool:

Sarg you are correct .I cant really comment much or I get in trouble but wikipedia is a wonderful thing

Sarg you are correct .I cant really comment much or I get in trouble but wikipedia is a wonderful thing

actually, the up and coming breakaway is creating quite a stir in these parts.....

the new ceo seems to have his finger on the pulse of the cruising community.

Archived