Celebrity Millenium Alaska Cruisetour

kr9457

We will be a land tour prior to the ship leaving from Seward. We take a bus from Anchorage in the morning to Seward and the ship leaves port at 8 pm. Anyone know about what time we actually get to Seward and board the ship

We are on #12 and it says it leaves port at 8 pm so we are trying to figure out what to do in Seward or on the ship. Any advice from someone who has done this and knows the timeline?

We are on #12 and it says it leaves port at 8 pm so we are trying to figure out what to do in Seward or on the ship. Any advice from someone who has done this and knows the timeline?

The drive to Seward is 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. I assume this is a transfer, so no sightseeing stops along the way, right? It seems that the buses and trains are timed so that passengers can take a Kenai Fjords cruise at 11:30am, so your bus will probably do the same. Can't Celebrity provide departure/arrival info for you?

If you have several hours in Seward and don't want to do the Kenai cruise, there's no point in rushing onto the ship (you've got all week for that!). You could take the shuttle out to Exit Glacier and follow a path out to the glacier. You can get quite close so it's very interesting and provides great photo ops.

http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm

Or just look around the Small Boat Harbor; it's interesting to watch the charter boats come and go and see the proud fisherman with their catch. If it's a clear day you'll have a beautiful view across the Bay to the mountains and glaciers. There's a path along the waterfront that leads from the harbor to downtown; beautiful views all the way, plus the opportunity to spot bald eagles and otters. The SeaLife Center is downtown if thats of interest.

Other info on www.seward.com

Most cruiseline bus transfers, I see arrivie way after noon and closer to late afternoon. This is a negative in my opinion, since it leaves Anchorage too early and arrives in Seward too late for much of any activity.

There is plenty to see and do in Seward, top choice touring, that I never recommend being in any rush to get on the ship.

The drive to Seward is 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. I assume this is a transfer, so no sightseeing stops along the way, right? It seems that the buses and trains are timed so that passengers can take a Kenai Fjords cruise at 11:30am, so your bus will probably do the same. Can't Celebrity provide departure/arrival info for you?

If you have several hours in Seward and don't want to do the Kenai cruise, there's no point in rushing onto the ship (you've got all week for that!). You could take the shuttle out to Exit Glacier and follow a path out to the glacier. You can get quite close so it's very interesting and provides great photo ops.

http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm

Or just look around the Small Boat Harbor; it's interesting to watch the charter boats come and go and see the proud fisherman with their catch. If it's a clear day you'll have a beautiful view across the Bay to the mountains and glaciers. There's a path along the waterfront that leads from the harbor to downtown; beautiful views all the way, plus the opportunity to spot bald eagles and otters. The SeaLife Center is downtown if thats of interest.

Other info on www.seward.com

I have never seen any cruiseline buses arrive in time for any Kenai fjords boat tours. I see them showing up around 2 pm and later.

• 3 months later...

I know this is probably too late to answer the OP, but thought I would put it for others.

Celebrity Cruisetour #12 for us who took the July 20, 2012 cruise from Seward:

Depart from Alyeska Resort at 2 PM and arrive to Seward at 3:30 or 4 PM. There was a hint of looking around the town a little bit, but of course there would not be time for any excursions.

(unfortunately a rogue gunman caused the Seward Highway to be closed for hours, and we didn't leave Alyeska until very late. We boarded the ship just as she was leaving, at 8 PM!) You're welcome to read about it at my blog, if you would like! http://thechickadeefeeder.xanga.com/766694752/item/

I know this is probably too late to answer the OP, but thought I would put it for others.

Celebrity Cruisetour #12 for us who took the July 20, 2012 cruise from Seward:

Depart from Alyeska Resort at 2 PM and arrive to Seward at 3:30 or 4 PM. There was a hint of looking around the town a little bit, but of course there would not be time for any excursions.

(unfortunately a rogue gunman caused the Seward Highway to be closed for hours, and we didn't leave Alyeska until very late. We boarded the ship just as she was leaving, at 8 PM!) You're welcome to read about it at my blog, if you would like! http://thechickadeefeeder.xanga.com/766694752/item/

A simple alternative to consider, if anyone wants to take advantage of some Seward touring is to exit the cruisetour in the am, and get on the Alaska RR, booked yourself. You then would have an opportunity to go on a Kenai Fjords boat tour, or many other options, instead missing out.

A simple alternative to consider, if anyone wants to take advantage of some Seward touring is to exit the cruisetour in the am, and get on the Alaska RR, booked yourself. You then would have an opportunity to go on a Kenai Fjords boat tour, or many other options, instead missing out.

What a great idea!!

Archived