Upgrade after an Upgrade!!

Murphy26

We are leaving on Sunday for the repositioning cruise from San Juan and we originally booked and ocean view GG guarantee and got assigned an F OV obstructed. I have been constantly checking the rooms on the ship and it seemed like there was a lot of empty cabins, so I was thinking there was a chance that we might get an uprade. Our cruise personalizer closes tomorrow so I just checked and we got upgraded to a BC balcony on the Aloha deck. Wow... so excited! Can't wait for 4 relaxing days at sea! See you on Sunday CB!!!:D Gonna make up new luggage tags right now. Yeah. Double Yeah.

We are leaving on Sunday for the repositioning cruise from San Juan and we originally booked and ocean view GG guarantee and got assigned an F OV obstructed. I have been constantly checking the rooms on the ship and it seemed like there was a lot of empty cabins, so I was thinking there was a chance that we might get an uprade. Our cruise personalizer closes tomorrow so I just checked and we got upgraded to a BC balcony on the Aloha deck. Wow... so excited! Can't wait for 4 relaxing days at sea! See you on Sunday CB!!!:D Gonna make up new luggage tags right now. Yeah. Double Yeah.

We just got our Cat. L guarantee cabin assignment for this Sunday CB full 15 night TA cruise and we were assigned a regular Cat. II inside. I called Princess and got it changed to a extra large midship Riviera deck Cat. II inside cabin. I was considering paying to upgrade to an oceanview guarantee to get a larger cabin but certainly won't be doing that now.

I hate to tell you that if you are only doing the 4 night cruise from SJ to NYC, there is only three sea days for relaxing.icon9.gif

Also, don't forget you are under the Lido deck!

We thought about that but since we are doing a northern route TA cruise there shouldn't be much activity around the Calypso Reef pool at this time of the year so having the much larger room, shown below, won out. If that cabin had been under the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe area it would have been something to take into consideration more.

attachment.php?attachmentid=231231&d=1335261847

GrandR407b.jpg.c057f421512a10599809ac4ebc3544e9.jpg

We just got our Cat. L guarantee cabin assignment for this Sunday CB full 15 night TA cruise and we were assigned a regular Cat. II inside. I called Princess and got it changed to a extra large midship Riviera deck Cat. II inside cabin. I was considering paying to upgrade to an oceanview guarantee to get a larger cabin but certainly won't be doing that now.

I hate to tell you that if you are only doing the 4 night cruise from SJ to NYC, there is only three sea days for relaxing.icon9.gif

Since we will be on the ship at 1pm on Sunday and we won't be on land, I am "at sea" to me:D

We are on this cruise as well as the British Isle that follows. We have also benn upgrade twice (sort of);) We originally booked this as two cruises to get the added benefits (OBC). We were upgraded from a balcony to a minisuite, for both legs, a couple of weeks ago:). Yesterday, in checking the website, I found that we had been upgraded to a "better" minisuite but only for the first leg. Still booked in the other cabin for the second leg. I have a call in to our TA so will see just where we are staying. I don't think moving from one minisuite to another and then back is worth the effort:confused:. Maybe to a full suite.:p

We thought about that but since we are doing a northern route TA cruise there shouldn't be much activity around the Calypso Reef pool at this time of the year so having the much larger room, shown below, won out. If that cabin had been under the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe area it would have been something to take into consideration more.

We have been in that type and location cabin in the summer. No noise at all from above on the pool deck.

attachment.php?attachmentid=231231&d=1335261847

Were your booking with Princess direct or with a TA? Reason I ask is, in the past if we booked a guarantee, then even we were assigned "better" category, we could not change cabin in the assigned category because of the price difference. That was couple years ago.

We had been in one of those before on Emerald's Westbound TA 2 years ago. No noise from above. The only noise was from next door's working area when the stewards prepared the room service breakfast - apparently the coffee / tea was made there.

We are sailing this Sat on Crown TA. We were assigned I on Aloha deck with a Quad room. I wanted to move to a regular room but our cruise agent said I had no cabin other than guaranteed. She could not move us even to the downgraded J / JJ. Then in the afternoon she called and asked me, Did you call Princess? Nope. What happened? You got upgraded to an Ocean View DD. Yay! :)

It does seem the ships are not sold out. Many folks seem to get upgrades.

Were your booking with Princess direct or with a TA? Reason I ask is, in the past if we booked a guarantee, then even we were assigned "better" category, we could not change cabin in the assigned category because of the price difference. That was couple years ago.

We have had no problems changing cabins in the assigned category as long as one we might want was still available.

We booked this cruise directly with Princess but in the past had bookings with TA and were able to change our upgraded cabin to another in the same category that was available but had to make the request to the TA, which is the norm in this situation.

That's ok. I will take every available minute to be laying in the sun! :) Just getting away is a huge bonus for me...I work about 60 hours a week.

We are going to have a great cruise!

We are booked on a cruise in October and have already received an upgrade on our guaranteed cabin. Is it possible that we would receive further upgrades before sailing?

~doris~

Yes, it is possible depending on how well your sailing is selling and what categories are in abundance.

We are sailing this weekend on a CB TA cruise and many on our roll call are posting about second upgrade to an even higher category. It appears with most that the first upgrade were done early and were marginal. I also suspect the price they paid was higher since they booked early. After the final payment date Princess was offering flash specials pricing which is what we booked. Now very close to the sailing date, IMO, Princess is doing these second upgrades to have the lower priced categories to offer since there were lots of higher balcony categories availability. I monitored the availability closely after we booked our guarantee and saw lots of cabin availability changes. Lower categories suddenly had lots of availability after having no availability followed by the upgrade posts on our roll call.

This is a northern route TA so I suspect seasoned cruisers, which a TA cruise typically have many, didn't want to pay for balcony that probably would have limited use, so these weren't in high demand. That was our thinking after having a balcony cabin on a similar route TA two years ago.

Awesome for us all! It seems your experience is pretty much the norm for those of us booked on this short sampler cruise. I also received a double upgrade as didi my friend I'm traveling with and many others. Princess really went into overdrive with the upgrades on this sailing. I'm not really sure why but I sure am happy! It's pretty rare for any line to give double upgrades and "real" upgrades from inside to balconies instead of just a different location in the same cabin type.

Nice to be on the receiving end this time!

Yes, it is possible depending on how well your sailing is selling and what categories are in abundance.

We are sailing this weekend on a CB TA cruise and many on our roll call are posting about second upgrade to an even higher category. It appears with most that the first upgrade were done early and were marginal. I also suspect the price they paid was higher since they booked early. After the final payment date Princess was offering flash specials pricing which is what we booked. Now very close to the sailing date, IMO, Princess is doing these second upgrades to have the lower priced categories to offer since there were lots of higher balcony categories availability. I monitored the availability closely after we booked our guarantee and saw lots of cabin availability changes. Lower categories suddenly had lots of availability after having no availability followed by the upgrade posts on our roll call.

This is a northern route TA so I suspect seasoned cruisers, which a TA cruise typically have many, didn't want to pay for balcony that probably would have limited use, so these weren't in high demand. That was our thinking after having a balcony cabin on a similar route TA two years ago.

Thanks. How do you go about monitoring prices and cabin availability?~Doris~

Go through the Princess website process of booking a cruise, but stop after seeing cabin availability.

If you see six cabins listed in a category, that means at least six are available as they display a maximum of six. You can however also check out individual cabin numbers.

If you see less than six listed in a category, that is all that reamains.

If you see only GTY in a category, it means all cabins in that category have been booked, but you can book the category and may be assigned to a higher category if space does not onen up in that category.

If you see "waitlist" as the only option for a category, it means you can put down a deposit, but actually getting on the ship is not a certainty. You may or may not clear the waitlist.

If you see "sold out", it means that not even being placed on a waitlist is possible.

Go through the Princess website process of booking a cruise, but stop after seeing cabin availability and price.

If you see six cabins listed in a category, that means at least six are available as they display a maximum of six. You can however also check out individual cabin numbers.

If you see less than six listed in a category, that is all that remains.

If you see only GTY in a category, it means all cabins in that category have been booked, but you can book the category and may be assigned to a higher category if space does not onen up in that category.

If you see "waitlist" as the only option for a category, it means you can put down a deposit, but actually getting on the ship is not a certainty. You may or may not clear the waitlist.

If you see "sold out", it means that not even being placed on a waitlist is possible.

This is exactly what I do to check availability and price for a cruise I've booked to see if a better cabin or price (the latter can only be gotten before the final payment date) is available for the category I currently have or if there is a better category worth booking..

Archived