oceania and kids?

wyomom2

All those impacted by a decision have a right say whether it is correct or not. Frequently, I see parents seat their children in the elderly section of our local busses. My guess is that they feel they made the right decision ... But this elderly rider does not.

My family has taken 24 cruises to date with 4 more booked for the next year. When my son was younger, Disney was a perfect fit. Gradually, we branched out and have sailed on RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, and Seabourn. My son, now 15, liked Seabourn better than all of the other lines. He enjoys fine dining, relaxing while reading a book or listening to music on his iPod. Most of all, our family enjoys a true "family vacation." We want to spend time together, talking over dinner and seeing the world. The idea that children need to be constantly entertained with kid's clubs and water slides is frankly sad. My son plays plenty of video games, etc. while at home. Taking your child on a trip, spending time together and exposing them to other cultures isn't cruel, it's a gift. We have an Oceania cruise booked for next summer on Marina to the British Isles. I think it looks like a great fit for my family.

All those impacted by a decision have a right say whether it is correct or not. Frequently, I see parents seat their children in the elderly section of our local busses. My guess is that they feel they made the right decision ... But this elderly rider does not.

I suppose if you feel vulnerable, in a sense impacted by the decisions of others, then you might best live in a cave and never leave.

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

As much as some might feel children can get out of hand on some cruises, adults are equally prone to get out of hand. On a Radiance of the Seas cruise in 2011 the adults were so out of hand in the pool deck area day in and day out I never wanted to bring my grandson out there.

JMO

I think the passenger demographics on RCL are quite different than the ones on Oceania ;)

Having been on a cruise with toddlers I found that it took a great deal of commitment by the parents, and those of us on the Oceania cruise appreciated their concern for fellow passengers.

Since Os marketing clearly is directed to people without children, or children that are able to amuse themselves in a low key manner, I think parents, or grandparents, should make choices based on the maturity and personality of the child.

What I often find challenging is when parents don't take into consideration that on a line like Oceania passengers do not expect children running up and down the hallways, banging silver on tables,jumping into pools, or tantrums. And it is not fair for parents to be upset when activities are not provided, or to expect that since the ship is self contained young children should automatically be allowed to roam the ship unsupervised.

What the passengers do request is consideration for other passengers who perhaps selected the line for the quiet ambiance. That is true for all passengers no matter the age.

Please don't slam me for my point of view.

Having been on a cruise with toddlers I found that it took a great deal of commitment by the parents, and those of us on the Oceania cruise appreciated their concern for fellow passengers.

Since Os marketing clearly is directed to people without children, or children that are able to amuse themselves in a low key manner, I think parents, or grandparents, should make choices based on the maturity and personality of the child.

What I often find challenging is when parents don't take into consideration that on a line like Oceania passengers do not expect children running up and down the hallways, banging silver on tables,jumping into pools, or tantrums. And it is not fair for parents to be upset when activities are not provided, or to expect that since the ship is self contained young children should automatically be allowed to roam the ship unsupervised.

What the passengers do request is consideration for other passengers who perhaps selected the line for the quiet ambiance. That is true for all passengers no matter the age.

I think you summarized the situation on O perfectly.

Your remarks would be fairly stated if they also referred to the often cranky, inconsiderate older folks (yes my generation) whose behaviour

can be as offensive to other passengers as any unconcerned parent might be of out of control small children.

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Your remarks would be fairly stated if they also referred to the often cranky, inconsiderate older folks (yes my generation) whose behaviour

can be as offensive to other passengers as any unconcerned parent might be of out of control small children.

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

World span my last statement is that all passengers should be considerate not matter what the age. Please read carefully.

"What the passengers do request is consideration for other passengers who perhaps selected the line for the quiet ambiance. That is true for all passengers no matter the age."

What is it about the statement doesn't apply to cranky folks in our generation.

All we ask is that people exercise courtesy, respect , and acknowledge this is not a ship that supports drunken behavior for adults or pool hairy chest contests, or provides an environment that is conducive to parents dropping their children off for activities, or that need alot of activities to keep them occupied.

Enjoy the trip with your grandchildren.

Rude behavior by immature adults will only affect those in the immediate vicinity. Unruly kids running up and down hallways, pushing every elevator button, jumping into the pool and splashing everyone nearby, banging sliverware on the table, yada yada yada, will affect all passengers. The question that parents who want to bring kids onto cruise lines which are clearly not designed to accommodate them is this: Am I doing it for my own enjoyment or for my kids? If it's the latter there are certainly far better options. If it's for the former then there's really nothing left to say, is there?

The only time we saw children on an O cruise was when they accompanied their parents, who were entertainers. They were "children" doing "children" things. Unfortunately one of the "children" things was jumping into the pool and hitting a passenger on the head, causing a slight injury. No, the parents were nowhere to be seen -- probably rehearsing.

However, we did see a mature couple bring their doll on board and have it with them all the time. It did cause a problem because they wouldn't let someone have a seat because said doll was occupying it.

pacheco18, just curious, what makes you an expert to know what is best for me and the OP. Have you even traveled on O with kids?

The OP (not you) asked for the following advice:

"I'm guessing from what I read that O might not be the place to bring the family??

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks."

So I would not begin to tell YOU anything or know what is best for YOU. The OP asked those of us who cruise O what we think about kids on O. Many gave their opinions. These opinions were solicited by the OP.

You do not have to have travelled with kids to have an opinion -- you just have to have been subjected to the kids.

I traveled with one awful screaming baby and his obnoxious parents and grandparents on my first O cruise. Everyone on that ship was very unhappy.

Archived