port of call Saguenay

Hello dear CC members !

I am from Saguenay region and it appears that many cruise ships will stop by our wonderful region this coming fall. I've been on cruise in the carribeans before and knows how easy it is to find good shore activities and excursions. Being a relatively new stop for most cruise lines, there's about nothing developed here to propose activities to tourists arriving by cruise ships. Especially for peoples who wants to go a bit farther than dock surroundings. In fact, the best of what Saguenay can offer is often located in small villages outside La Baie city. My idea would be to create a website (in English) to propose shore excursions and give opportunity to visitors to see those hidden treasures.

Knowing the popularity of CC. I would like to get feedbacks from new and past cruisers who will stop or had already visited our port in order for me to measure the interest for this service.

thanks,

marc

We visited Saguenay last fall on Maasdam. I think it was the last ship call of the season.

I was able to find a fair amount of information on the web about the area. We used the HoHo bus to go to Chicoutimi and had a nice day there.

Are you part of the local government or chamber of commerce? Or would this be a private enterprise?

It will be private business but on a small scale. I live in village of L'Anse-St-Jean on Saguenay fjord shore. We are located about 45 min East of La Baie. I want to focus on excursions available in our immediate area.

I think this is a wonderful idea. We will be at La Baie and Gaspe in October and it has been a challenge to locate info on what to do. I requested and received wonderful tourist info from both of the regions and I feel confident we will do the HOHO in La Baie. I couldn't locate a private guide in Gaspe in our price range so we will probably do the "Perce On Your Own" transportation shuttle over to Perce, but it isn't a tour. I guess there isn't a public bus over to Perce. Is that true? Thanks.

I think this is a wonderful idea. We will be at La Baie and Gaspe in October and it has been a challenge to locate info on what to do. I requested and received wonderful tourist info from both of the regions and I feel confident we will do the HOHO in La Baie. I couldn't locate a private guide in Gaspe in our price range so we will probably do the "Perce On Your Own" transportation shuttle over to Perce, but it isn't a tour. I guess there isn't a public bus over to Perce. Is that true? Thanks.

If you do the HoHo and go to Chicoutimi, get off at the art museum at the top of the hill. It's in an old mill. On the grounds are ruins of other mill buildings. If you like old buildings, it's cool to walk around there amd look at the waterfalls. We got some good photos. From there we walked down toward the town. and picked up the bus at the other end of town.

I couldn't find any public transport to Perce, so we did a ship's tour. We did the tour of Perce, and had a lovely guide. We also had a little time on our own. I had to laugh at the number of guides in Canada who apologized for their English because for them it was a second language. I kept telling them that they were doing better in English as a second language than many Americans for whom it's a first language!

After Gaspe, our ship sailed around the penninsula and southward. On that sail, we had our best views of the rock from our balcony! I was surprised at how close we sailed. I got some gorgeous shots with the afternoon sun on the rock.

• 4 weeks later...
If you do the HoHo and go to Chicoutimi, get off at the art museum at the top of the hill. It's in an old mill. On the grounds are ruins of other mill buildings. If you like old buildings, it's cool to walk around there amd look at the waterfalls. We got some good photos. From there we walked down toward the town. and picked up the bus at the other end of town.

I couldn't find any public transport to Perce, so we did a ship's tour. We did the tour of Perce, and had a lovely guide. We also had a little time on our own. I had to laugh at the number of guides in Canada who apologized for their English because for them it was a second language. I kept telling them that they were doing better in English as a second language than many Americans for whom it's a first language!

After Gaspe, our ship sailed around the penninsula and southward. On that sail, we had our best views of the rock from our balcony! I was surprised at how close we sailed. I got some gorgeous shots with the afternoon sun on the rock.

We'll be on a stern balcony. Can we expect to get good pictures of the rock?

We'll be on a stern balcony. Can we expect to get good pictures of the rock?

Lighting varies with the time of year, so it's hard to say. We were headed south and in a starboard cabin. It was afternoon, after leaving Gaspe. If you're going south and at the stern, I think you might miss the best angle. Just hang out on deck after leaving Gaspe. The whole sail around the penninsula is pretty.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello dear CC members !

I am from Saguenay region and it appears that many cruise ships will stop by our wonderful region this coming fall. I've been on cruise in the carribeans before and knows how easy it is to find good shore activities and excursions. Being a relatively new stop for most cruise lines, there's about nothing developed here to propose activities to tourists arriving by cruise ships. Especially for peoples who wants to go a bit farther than dock surroundings. In fact, the best of what Saguenay can offer is often located in small villages outside La Baie city. My idea would be to create a website (in English) to propose shore excursions and give opportunity to visitors to see those hidden treasures.

Knowing the popularity of CC. I would like to get feedbacks from new and past cruisers who will stop or had already visited our port in order for me to measure the interest for this service.

thanks,

marc

Marc,

My problem is to get information about a car rental. I am from Québec city and want to do 'le tour du lac st Jean' but all the car rentals seem to be located at Bagotville airport... is there a car rental location near the cruise terminal. What would be the easiest way to get to the airport.

Merci.

What about Whale watching tours? How would one get transportation to an area where these are offered, especially to get a chance to see the Belugas??

Thanks.

I wonder if a guide had enough reservations, that he would pick you up at the pier? The tourist guide book for Gaspe which I requested, has a couple companies out of Perce for whale watching. You can request tourist info by e-mail and they send a wonderful packet. info@cctgaspe.org

The below document has more info too about Gaspe.

http://cctgaspe.org/?page_id=5372&lang=en visitor's guide which includes maps and places of interest in Gaspe, you have to scroll down a lot to see it all

• 2 months later...
Hello dear CC members !

thanks,

marc

Hello Marc, I will visit your city and I am looking for tours. Do you have anything to offer?

Kind regards

RFLS

Having more means of Commerce makes an area Strong not wrong.

An indentured servant who escaped Boston said.. "Penny wise and Pound Foolish"

That was Benjamin Franklin.

Having availability of transportation, tours, cuisine, tours as even in dog sleds , whale watching..etc.. is an important way for the people in this great area to make it better for themselves and all. Yes a Mutual Benefit, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marc:

We will be in Saguenay on September 22, 2012. We are looking for ideas of the best sights to see. We are Nature lovers. Any information/assistance you can give us is greatly appreciated. We are boarding the Holland America ship Eurodam on September 14, 2012. Can you recommend some private tour guides in that area and Quebec?

Thank you so much for your consideration of this request.

Sincerely, Joyce;)

(Cruiserjoy)

Hello dear CC members !

thanks,

marc

• 11 months later...

Good Morning Nelina:

I am very interested in your feedback. In 2008, I took a cruise on the "Explorer of the Seas" which did a three-hour tour into the Saguenay Fjord. Just an amazing experience! Next year, I have a choice between the "Norwegian Dawn" going to La Baie or other cruise ships stopping at Ville Saguenay or just stating that they stop at the Saguenay Fjord. First off, are these two places the same? Secondly, from what I can see, La Baie seems to be much further along into the Saguenay Fjord than Ville Saguenay. Is Ville Saguenay the commercialized area. The representatives from the cruise lines are not very informed or helpful. Therefore, when I read your comment, I was hoping you could provide some insightful information.

Thank you for taking the time to read my inquiry.

Best Regards, Norma Walewski

They are two different places but are now apparently one municipal unit: https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=la+baie&daddr=Saguenay,+QC&hl=en&ll=48.454709,-71.122742&spn=0.92352,2.705383&sll=47.616769,-71.12336&sspn=1.877285,5.410767&geocode=FV-V4QId8mrG-yktz0Gl-BvATDEZUofQvldfFA%3BFRX04gIdtJTD-ym9A0IwaCfATDE0Pdk4LHsQ_g&oq=sag&mra=pr&t=m&z=9

Ville Saguenay means the city of Saguenay (as opposed to the river). La Baie is a much smaller resort town but is now apparently part of the city of Saguenay according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saguenay,_Quebec

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Baie,_Quebec

Archived