Eastern Caribbean - November or January?

DanishDonut

Which month offers better weather for snorkeling?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which month offers better weather for snorkeling?

• Early November 2012
    • Late January 2013

We're considering a Liberty + Freedom B2B.

Which dates would you choose and why?

Early November 2012 or late January 2013

Carnival Liberty 7 day

Half Moon Cay

At Sea

St Thomas

San Juan, PR

Grand Turk

At Sea

Carnival Freedom 8 day

At Sea

At Sea

St Thomas

Antigua

Tortola, BVI

At Sea

Nassau

Weather is the most important criteria for us. In your experience, which month offers calmer waters and warmer temperatures for snorkeling?

Which cruise would most likely have fewer children?

In the past the CC community has offered great advice and I hope you'll be kind enough to post and keep this thread bumped to the top. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

I have to decide today (Thursday 26APR12) if I want to book at Early Saver rates for the 10/27/12 sailing.

Sorry I cannot compare Jan to Nov.

I can just say that from my experience, Jan is a great time to cruise! We've always had wonderful weather (and no, I'm not exaggerating).

And yes, there are some children, but not many - I think parents don't want to take their kids out of school right after the winter holiday break, plus that's an extra cost that would be due at Christmas time.

Sorry I cannot compare Jan to Nov.

Thank you anyway for replying and offering your advice :)

I can just say that from my experience, Jan is a great time to cruise! We've always had wonderful weather (and no, I'm not exaggerating).

And yes, there are some children, but not many - I think parents don't want to take their kids out of school right after the winter holiday break, plus that's an extra cost that would be due at Christmas time.

Our very first cruise on the Carnival Legend was in late January, weather was great. I'm hoping it will be just as warm in late Oct/early Nov.

Anyone else have advice on which month is better and why?

Thank you again.

Believe me, HMC is the best place ever... But it sucks when the water is too cold to enjoy!

This itinerary has 2 new ports we have never visited: Tortola & HMC

So late Oct/early Nov should be OK temperature wise?

How does HMC compare to Princess Cays?

This itinerary has 2 new ports we have never visited: Tortola & HMC

So late Oct/early Nov should be OK temperature wise?

How does HMC compare to Princess Cays?

Never been to Princess Cays, so I cannot offer a comparison to HMC. I can tell you that I was in HMC last September and it was wonderful. Our roll call rented out the private oasis and it was the best cruise day ever. I went back once in Dec and twice in Jan and it was nice, but just not the same because the water was too cold to go in. If you're more into sunning and laying out on the beach, then maybe it would be ok for you. Late Oct/Early Nov should still be warm enough to enjoy water activities.

Never been to Tortola either, but I will be there in 3 weeks!

We have sailed late January the past 2 cruises,the water was beautiful for swimming,and the weather was perfect all week, Less kids at this time ,it is right after Christmas break. Late November you will run into your Thanksgiving break,lots of kids. My thoughts.Enjoy your cruise.

We have sailed late January the past 2 cruises,the water was beautiful for swimming,and the weather was perfect all week, Less kids at this time ,it is right after Christmas break. Late November you will run into your Thanksgiving break,lots of kids. My thoughts.Enjoy your cruise.

Good point about Thanksgiving but I think the OP's sail date is late Oct/early Nov, although I could have misread that?

November is still hurricane season. I vote for late January!!

I think either cruise would be nice.....seems like the more southern itin. is a little more adult-oriented, so perhaps few kids. I'm going on the Liberty end of Nov, same itin - but with little kids so we ruled out the southern itin. We cruised last November (Thanksgiving), no hurricane. Water I can play in seems more enticing than lying on a beach and not being able to get in as it's too cold. So I say November!

I am on the 10/27 liberty sailing!

I have cruised several time late october... weather everywhere we are going will be hot. 82-88 degrees. The most northern place will be HMC... last year same time frame I was on the dream and we were in Nassau. In late October the water is still very warm in the bahamas. It is also the very end of hurricane season. Typically most hurricanes that form late in the season develop in the Western Caribbean that time of year.

We don't snorkle but cruise almost every November ( early ) and January ( late ) . Being from Michigan we don't feel the water is too cold either time of year. Seems like the southerners can't handle the LITTLE difference in water temp.

We did a western caribbean cruise in December this last year and the water was too cold for me... now granted I am from Florida and since I usually don't HAVE TO swim in freezing cold water like those up north are forced too I just don't like cold water...

Oct/November is usually still warmish in Florida so the Caribbean water would stll be warmer... I'd pick November

Many years ago I lived on St. Thomas and Jan. was when you saw minks on the island... yes FURS! The evenings would get "down" into the 60's (a rare high 50's) and all the ladies would take furs out of storage and wear them in the evening... I guess the "blood" is so thin from living in the tropics that it was actually cold for them. So I would vote for Nov.

Definitely early November for nice warm water for snorkeling. We sailed two years ago the end of April and snorkeled in St. Thomas and the water was so cold I had to get out. If we have a cold winter in the States, some of that cold weather always manages to inch its way into the Bahamas and Caribbean. Last year we went to Half Moon Cay in mid-May and the water was so cold even my grandson wouldn't go in.

Of course, water and air temperature is relative...we live in Florida and are bundled up in the winter months when the temperature hits 50 or lower. I know, I know, we're wimps.

We don't snorkle but cruise almost every November ( early ) and January ( late ) . Being from Michigan we don't feel the water is too cold either time of year. Seems like the southerners can't handle the LITTLE difference in water temp.

We Wisconsinites are the same - it's all warm to us! :D

Archived