`MRD etiquet for the foreign glutton er sorry cruiser

fishtaco

I don't pay attention to what others eat. But I don't like to see food wasted, either. It is annoying when someone orders a bunch of different dishes "just to taste them" and leaves most behind. But if you "clean your plate", go for it!

(Yes, I know, sometimes someone orders something and find they really don't like it..or it's prepared wrong, or too hot/too cold or whatever. I don't mean that -- I mean what I said..those who order 1 of everything "just to taste them".)

All the perishable food that isn't used at the end of the week gets trashed. So the whole 'wasted' food arguement doesn't really work, either it gets eaten, eaten partially and the rest fed to the fish, or goes to the landfill when the ship gets back into port.

I say if someone wants to order order a lot of food while in the Dining Room, more power to them! I would hope that they give their wait staff a very generous tip above and beyond their cut of the $11.50/person/day!

I say if someone wants to order order a lot of food while in the Dining Room, more power to them! I would hope that they give their wait staff a very generous tip above and beyond their cut of the $11.50/person/day!

i used to, until i started serving myself for 2 out of the three meals yet still tip for 3.

and seemed to be proud of it. until the g word got thrown around, and that poster then claimed to be offended by that.

lol gluttony is gluttony though. Its a harsh word for some, especially when its applicable. Hell I bet I fit that description the other night after doing 3 hours of cardio. I was a damn glutton for sure (burned over 2k calories before dinner)

I can put away serious amounts of food if I prepare myself, but I only would do that where its to be expected. BBQ or steak eating contest for example even then its rare.

The only problem I see with people ordering multiples of each item is that it delays the meal for others at the table who want to see the shows or have other activities. If I am seated with someone who does that, I ask to be changed to another table.

why would that be? the food all comes out the same time.

some waiters will put down both side by side. others keep it on the tray.

The only problem I see with people ordering multiples of each item is that it delays the meal for others at the table who want to see the shows or have other activities. If I am seated with someone who does that, I ask to be changed to another table.

That has never happened to us. The servers typically bring everyones order at the same time, multiples and all.

why would that be? the food all comes out the same time.

some waiters will put down both side by side. others keep it on the tray.

I have not seen waiters serve two or three bowls of soup or plates of food to a person all at the same time. Perhaps we have cruised different ships.

Besides that, it takes longer to eat that much food.

I have not seen waiters serve two or three bowls of soup or plates of food to a person all at the same time. Perhaps we have cruised different ships.

you apparently have never been at my table, nor have ever seen me eat.

They certainly do. I almost always order two entrees, and usually two or three apps. They'll ask you if you want them one at a time or all at once. I usually get two entrees at the same time....and I'm quite certain I can eat two before you're done with 1:)

LOL - Americans not being offended easily. In my limited experience, we offend more easily than we take offense. When I was a college exchange student in England (decades ago), I could offend half the people in the room just by walking into it.

OP - What or how much my tablemates order wouldn't offend me. I don't care if you eat 10 steaks, 21 lobster tails and drink six martinis as long as you don't have gross table manners. That would be a real bummer because even though I would be offended (or at least grossed out), I wouldn't have the nerve to say, "Hey, Mate! Chew with your mouth closed, please!" or "You're grossing me out using your shirt sleeve to wipe your greasy chin!"

DH has ordered two entrees before and gotten both at the same time. We have also ordered two apps each (or app and soup or salad) and got those at the same time.

To those who have said that American sized portions are larger, while I agree with that generally, I am not sure its as true on a cruise ship. The appetizers can be very small (which I prefer). I thought the shrimp cocktail was like 2 to 4 shrimp or something. If we went to land restaurant and DH and I split an appetizer, I probably would take half of my meal home (or feed it to DH- more likely). If I remember right from my last cruise, I could eat my app, most of the meal, and atleast a few bites of dessert. I wouldn't say that they are small portions (except maybe the appetizers), but they are HUGE like you get at a casual dining chain restaurant.

To the OP, eat whatever you want to eat and don't worry about what others think.

They certainly do. I almost always order two entrees, and usually two or three apps. They'll ask you if you want them one at a time or all at once. I usually get two entrees at the same time....and I'm quite certain I can eat two before you're done with 1:)

Go for it !!!! I will be at a different table the next evening !!

In Australia MRD cruise Dinner has Appetizer, entrée, main, desert then cheese and crackers.

I know Americans can be big eaters but have we surpassed you? it seems as if Carnival has less courses on the MRD menu!

We usualy have the lot with a Ceaser or garden salad on the side :eek:

We count the calories and lead a fat free healthy diet at home but let loose on a cruise (possibly why

"I" love cruising so much :rolleyes: ) so MRD Dinner is a "big" part of a cruise for us.

Will we need to watch what we order as not to offend table guests if we are put on a larger table? we have requested late dinning because We dont enjoy the your time dinning.

Den

I say what you eat is your business, but you might want to tell table mates to feel free to leave if they have finished and you want to linger over your cheese plate.

Go for it !!!! I will be at a different table the next evening !!

How do you know the next nights tablemates won't want to deviate from what you find acceptable as well? Maybe just stick with a table for two if you are that sensitive to how much food your tablemates order. Sounds like it is not just a time issue for you, since you say you would move even thought he could be finished with two entrees before you eat one..

While not for the same reasons as you, we will only do a table for two in the MDR, there's nothing wrong with wanting to eat without the distraction of others.

How do you know the next nights tablemates won't want to deviate from what you find acceptable as well? Maybe just stick with a table for two if you are that sensitive to how much food your tablemates order. Sounds like it is not just a time issue for you, since you say you would move even thought he could be finished with two entrees before you eat one..

While not for the same reasons as you, we will only do a table for two in the MDR, there's nothing wrong with wanting to eat without the distraction of others.

I have two reasons, and neither has to do with the amount of food he eats. First-- I don't believe him and Second -- I would prefer more polite company or would prefer not to be in the company of that person.

We count the calories and lead a fat free healthy diet at home

Den

You've been duped. I personally apologize for the last 30 years of FDA nonsense that has apparently invaded other countries, as well. It's likely a result of corn subsidies and the American propaganda machine.

"You need 12 servings of processed carbs everyday!!!" <--- give me a break

Fat >>>> Sugar

/rant

I rarely clean my plate. I do think it is the secret to remaining thin. If I'm going to finish something, it better be worth the calories!

You sound like me. I am not a big eater and am on the thin side also, but I will tell you one thing, if they ever had hot boiled crayfish on a cruise, I just may be the last one to leave the table....................hmmmm, sometimes, I feel like I can't get enough. :):p:D:eek:

Archived