`MRD etiquet for the foreign glutton er sorry cruiser

fishtaco

In Australia MRD cruise Dinner has Appetizer, entrée, main, desert then cheese and crackers.

I know Americans can be big eaters but have we surpassed you? it seems as if Carnival has less courses on the MRD menu!

We usualy have the lot with a Ceaser or garden salad on the side :eek:

We count the calories and lead a fat free healthy diet at home but let loose on a cruise (possibly why

"I" love cruising so much :rolleyes: ) so MRD Dinner is a "big" part of a cruise for us.

Will we need to watch what we order as not to offend table guests if we are put on a larger table? we have requested late dinning because We dont enjoy the your time dinning.

Den

No problem. The menu has all the same options but has cut the number of "courses" down I guess to encourage less eating. Carnival has an appetizer / salad / soup course, Entrée course, and desert course. You can still order an appetizer, salad, soup, entrée from the main menu then a dessert, and cheese plate from the dessert menu. Each will be delivered one at a time in the proper order.

To most on a cruise that would not offend them. I almost always get an appetizer then a salad or soup before the Entrée.

in the past 25 years, carnival has not only cut back the number of courses, they cut back the portion size.

then they added insult to injury by downgrading the food quality.

but remembering back to that first insult of portion size, i countered by ordering whatever and how many of all courses. it's quite common for me to order 2 entrees being there's now more plate than food.

which is quite the contrast on land, where comparitable eating venues pile so much food that the average diner uses a doggy bag. somehow, i never find a need for them.

btw, what is mrd?

Until not too long ago, most lines (even Carnival) separated their menus into apps, soups, salads, some even had a pasta course (Celeb comes to mind), entrees & then of course, dessert/cheese course.

A good waiter might have double checked with you if you didn't order something from each course!!

So order away and enjoy! Don't let 'em trick ya!:p

Eat what you like and don't worry about it. I'm sure there will be a lot of people eating MORE than what you order. Last cruise, one night, my son had three entree's. Of course he was 16 years old and a growing boy :-) But my point is lots of people do have quite a lot so you won't be the only one.

In Australia MRD cruise Dinner has Appetizer, entrée, main, desert then cheese and crackers.

I know Americans can be big eaters but have we surpassed you? it seems as if Carnival has less courses on the MRD menu!

We usualy have the lot with a Ceaser or garden salad on the side :eek:

We count the calories and lead a fat free healthy diet at home but let loose on a cruise (possibly why

"I" love cruising so much :rolleyes: ) so MRD Dinner is a "big" part of a cruise for us.

Will we need to watch what we order as not to offend table guests if we are put on a larger table? we have requested late dinning because We dont enjoy the your time dinning.

Den

My husbands diet is TERRIBLE. He drinks a lot of soda and sweet tea, and will rarely touch a vegetable. Hes a big meat and potatoes kind of guy and He is one of those who may very well end up ordering 3 lobster tails. To be fair, though, he is very tall. He's 6'5" and 350 lbs so you look at him and don't see "OMG OBESE!" you just see "Jesus I won't mess with him!"

I don't say anything because he is an adult, and he is such an awesome person, and is very active so I don't want to nag him and make it worse.

I try to watch what I eat - no fried foods, seldom eat sweets.

I physically can not eat much; I can never finish a meal. A subway foot long with NO chips is 3 meals for me. My kid eats more than I do most the time.

My 6 year old isn't allowed to eat junk food except on occasion. He only drinks water or milk, he isn't allowed to have refined carbs. If it comes in a cellophane wrapper, he's not allowed to have it unless it's a treat. He does't know or mind - he would just as soon have an apple, yogurt and cheese stick for desert.

That said, on vacation, my kid can eat whatever he wants and I won't say a word. If he wants ice cream 4 times a day, so be it. He can eat all the chicken nuggets and mac and cheese in the world.

I plan to do the same.

So, my opinion - do what makes you happy and if your table mates don't like it, they can sit somewhere else the next night.

Den

Dont worry about it. Heck many champion eating plenty. One member here was bragging about her husband eating over 20 lobster tails.

I doubt you will come close to that but if you do and are comfortable doing it, go for it.

The waiters, if anything else, will recommend that you order more food than you think you will eat.

Our last server gave us the low-down:

Initial orders are color-coded and are of the highest priority in the kitchen. You can order 5 entrees and they will still take precedence over other orders. If you are still hungry at the end of your dinner and want to order more food, the order will be colored different and be of lower priority so it will take longer for you to get your food.

Dont worry about it. Heck many champion eating plenty. One member here was bragging about her husband eating over 20 lobster tails.

and seemed to be proud of it. until the g word got thrown around, and that poster then claimed to be offended by that.

I don't pay attention to what others eat. But I don't like to see food wasted, either. It is annoying when someone orders a bunch of different dishes "just to taste them" and leaves most behind. But if you "clean your plate", go for it!

(Yes, I know, sometimes someone orders something and find they really don't like it..or it's prepared wrong, or too hot/too cold or whatever. I don't mean that -- I mean what I said..those who order 1 of everything "just to taste them".)

I don't pay attention to what others eat. But I don't like to see food wasted, either. It is annoying when someone orders a bunch of different dishes "just to taste them" and leaves most behind. But if you "clean your plate", go for it!

(Yes, I know, sometimes someone orders something and find they really don't like it..or it's prepared wrong, or too hot/too cold or whatever. I don't mean that -- I mean what I said..those who order 1 of everything "just to taste them".)

I do see your point, but on the other hand, I am going to be trying some things I've never had before because it won't cost me extra to do so.

If I'm going to not like a food and it will go to waste ANYWAY, it might as well be while it won't cost me anything extra.

That said, I don't plan to do it all in one night, either. But at dinner, I will likely try something I've never had before knowing full well, it may go to waste. If I don't like it, I will just order something else.

RARELY going to clean my plate on a cruise, there is just so much to try. I only eat ALL of something if it is excellent, otherwise I have a few bites and let it go. I usually order at least two starters in some combination of app, soup, salad (or even all three sometimes) then an entree & dessert! I enjoy all of it, but there is NO WAY I could begin to finish it all, and I don't feel bad about it:).

I personally have never nor would I be offened by what or how much someone eats. It's your vacation, you paid for it so enjoy it as you please. I sometimes just have soup and salad, DH typically has Prime Rib and Lobster. Now at home he would never do that but it's "vacation" and you should do what you want and eat what you want...enjoy!

Most of the meals are premade anyways, so if they don't get ordered by someone, they're going to go to waste. So, might as well order them if you want to taste them.

untouched cooked foods are always reworked, so it is not going to waste.

good food is not just thrown away.

RARELY going to clean my plate on a cruise, there is just so much to try. I only eat ALL of something if it is excellent, otherwise I have a few bites and let it go. I usually order at least two starters in some combination of app, soup, salad (or even all three sometimes) then an entree & dessert! I enjoy all of it, but there is NO WAY I could begin to finish it all, and I don't feel bad about it:).

I rarely clean my plate. I do think it is the secret to remaining thin. If I'm going to finish something, it better be worth the calories!

untouched cooked foods are always reworked, so it is not going to waste.

good food is not just thrown away.

I seriously doubt Carnival reserves food that has been served, even if its not touched. I know you're pretty vocal about the food on Carnival but I assume you have no proof whatsoever of this claim, right?

I seriously doubt Carnival reserves food that has been served, even if its not touched. I know you're pretty vocal about the food on Carnival but I assume you have no proof whatsoever of this claim, right?

I don't think he meant food that was already plated or served but not touched!:eek:

But meat that hasn't been served, soups, vegetables etc. will undoubtedly show up the next day on the buffet in some form, nothing wrong with that.

i never said served food.

Archived