New to Cruising

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sue. My husband and I are planning our first cruise for our 25th wedding anniversay. I've chosen Royal Caribbean. We are going out on the Explorerer of the Seas this September from NJ to Bermuda.

Any info or pointers about the cruise line, ship and port are very welcome since we have never done this before.

Thanks so much, I look forward to learning a lot about this new exciting vacation!

Sue

Hi Sue! Congratulations on your first cruise and 25th anniversary! I think my biggest piece of advice is just to relax and enjoy it! I think you will find that the Explorer has a lot to offer in the form of entertainment and activities. My husband and I were on the Mariner of the Seas - Explorer's sister ship - for our honeymoon last June. While I have never cruised out of NJ, nor to Bermuda, the one thing I know that is common with all cruises is that there will be plenty of people to meet and things to do. Don't be afraid to join in the fun and make new friends! Hope this helps. :D

I've not sailed out of New Jersey, so hopefully someone who has will chime in with authoritative information, but since you'll be sailing the Atlantic, it may be cooler until you get down toward Florida. Be sure to bring a jacket or wrap for mornings and evenings. We've forgotten jackets on a cruise out of Florida in January and it's been chilly the first few days! You'll have a couple of days to get used to the ship on your way down, which will hopefully be fun and relaxing for you. We find the at sea days, with their set-your-own-pace schedule, or lack of a schedule, so relaxing. Enjoy!

I've not sailed out of New Jersey, so hopefully someone who has will chime in with authoritative information, but since you'll be sailing the Atlantic, it may be cooler until you get down toward Florida. Be sure to bring a jacket or wrap for mornings and evenings. We've forgotten jackets on a cruise out of Florida in January and it's been chilly the first few days! You'll have a couple of days to get used to the ship on your way down, which will hopefully be fun and relaxing for you. We find the at sea days, with their set-your-own-pace schedule, or lack of a schedule, so relaxing. Enjoy!

The Explorer September itinerary to Bermuda does not sail any further south than there, which of the Carolina's. However, September (in particluar early) is still high season and very comfortable in terms of temperatures. It could maybe be a little cool at night in transit but by the second day you are far enough south and into the Gulf Stream that I don't think that is a major concern. We've been in Bermuda in early September - althought not on a cruise - and found the weather delightful.

Hi Sue,

Congratulations on your first upcoming cruise!

Many people have a preconceived idea as to what a cruise will be like before they take one. They are often times surprised to find out that when they actually go that the experience ends up being far better than they imagined it would be! So I am sure you and your husband will love it!

Throughout these boards you will probably find all of the information you want to know ahead of time..and probably make some new friends along the way.

One good place to frequent is the group for your particular ship and date. You will probably find that in here somewhere:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=260

If you start reading this "All Thing Explorer of the Seas" thread now, you might be finished by the time your cruise starts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1424019

I love the voyager class ships like the Explorer. I've been on the Voyager of the Seas 5 times and the Mariner of the Seas twice.

One good place to start is youtube videos. Here are some I found, all available in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox-hpnK5h2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7jGHk1lz_Y

Archived