Star Princess Nav. Q. Largin can you help?

skynight

Largin, You appear to have a navigational background. Please help me understand. The Star Princess Mar. 26, 2013, 28 day voyage crosses the date line twice between Pago Pago and Apia. There seems to be something not just right with the way Princess states days and times on their itinerary. You can see this on their web site. The way I see it is:

Mon. 4/8 depart Pago Pago 7PM

Tues. 4/9 cross dateline westbound at approx 1AM

Immediately time and date changes to Wed. 4/10, 1AM

Arrive Apia Wed 4/10, 7AM (total sailing time approx. 12 hours)

Leave Apia Wed. 4/10, 4PM

Cross date line eastbound between 5PM & 7PM

Immediately time and date changes to Tues. 4/9 between 5PM & 7PM

Wake up Wed. 4/10 at sea

Thurs 4/11 at sea

And so on. Can you comment?

There seems to be something not just right with the way Princess states days and times on their itinerary.

Hi. We know each other from the S. America cruise in Feb.and we'll also both be on this cruise to the S. Pacific in 2013.

The way I understand it is that that Samoa (Apia) has been moved to the Western side of the date line on Dec. 29/11.

Here's the explanation from Wikipedia

"Samoa was previously located east of the international date line but in 2011, Samoan Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele announced his country would move the International Date Line to the east of the country, so that Samoa would lie to the west of the date line.[41] This change took effect on the night of 29 December, so that the Friday was skipped altogether and the following day was Saturday 31 December.[42]"

Princess's itinerary was probably published before Samoa moved to the west side of the date line to be on Australian time. I would think Princess has just neglected to update their itinerary dates.

Anyway this is just my interpretation of the situation.

Archived