Queen Elizabeth reviews- seconds thoughts?

1straveler

Yes, you won't see Dover sole in Britannia, a shame.I had it 3 times on our last QM2 trip. I'd be very willing to pay extra for it. Perhaps that's what Cunard should consider, an extra cost Al a Carte menu for Britannia.

I bet that idea gets used soon. Makes them more money which is the reason they exist.

I bet that idea gets used soon. Makes them more money which is the reason they exist.

We found the food in Lido(the tastings) to be better than Britannia. The service was outstanding. Very much like what we had in the Grills. I thought the $10 was a bargain. I know some are unhappy with the charges, but I found the food & ambience well worth it. For the most part, most followed the dresscode for the evening, which was nice,too.

We found the food in Lido(the tastings) to be better than Britannia. The service was outstanding. Very much like what we had in the Grills. I thought the $10 was a bargain. I know some are unhappy with the charges, but I found the food & ambience well worth it. For the most part, most followed the dresscode for the evening, which was nice,too.

Kieth, from what you and others have wrote, I get that the alternative dining venues are a good option. Regarding following the evening dress code: Just from my experience, the flooring in the dining areas on Deck 6 QM2 is not suited for women's high heeled shoes, (even lower heels). Yet, if a woman was to follow the dress code on a formal evening, most often that would mean wearing heels (and good luck to those passengers on the deck below the clumping of the high heels)! Anyway, when I visit Deck 6, I wear deck shoes, after experience wearing different shoes and sandals with less than postive results on slick floors at sea. Hence, I believe there are several good reason why the dress code is relaxed in the alternative dining venues on QM2, both from a practical standpoint, and also to accomodate those who prefer not to dress formally. -

Thanks for that advice- I will particularly look out for it now. I like VERY spicy :)- well, no more spicy anyway than what you would find in a street food market in Asia :)

Barry

Hi Bazzaw, please let us know how you find the cocktail sauce...on one voyage it became a challenge as to whose eyes would not cry tears after a few mouthfufs...maybe it was just that one voyage?* Frankly, the defrosted shrimp was much in need of something to enhance the taste - which I understand is a long standing cooks secret: when the basic ingredients can't stand alone, cover them with inexpensive spices to mask the taste.

*I tried the shrimp cocktail on several voyages subsequent to that first experience, and to me it was fairly consistant.

Hi Bazzaw, please let us know how you find the cocktail sauce...on one voyage it became a challenge as to whose eyes would not cry tears after a few mouthfufs...maybe it was just that one voyage?* Frankly, the defrosted shrimp was much in need of something to enhance the taste - which I understand is a long standing cooks secret: when the basic ingredients can't stand alone, cover them with inexpensive spices to mask the taste.

Salacia

I know exactly what you mean by "defrosted shrimp" (or prawns as we would call them.) Tiny little fresh-watery tasting things. They are a prime example of what I mean about eating frozen seafood. I do however also believe that they would still taste much like this even if they were eaten fresh out of the farm water that they have been grown in. Specimens like this would be much better for a delightful prawn cocktail - with or without spicy sauce :)

Barry

Now that we are completely off the original subject and talking about seafood---I have never eaten a "Dover sole" and am aware of it's inflated price in the UK. What is it about "Dover sole" as compared to other varieties of sole found elsewhere in the world? - or even the UK?? . I recently had a sole which was so big on the plate that the waiter comes to you to turn it over - when you are ready. It was delicious but was no more expensive than any other kinds of fish in the seafood restaurant.

Barry

Salacia

I know exactly what you mean by "defrosted shrimp" (or prawns as we would call them.) Tiny little fresh-watery tasting things. They are a prime example of what I mean about eating frozen seafood. I do however also believe that they would still taste much like this even if they were eaten fresh out of the farm water that they have been grown in. Specimens like this would be much better for a delightful prawn cocktail - with or without spicy sauce :)

Barry

Oh boy, I'm really confused. Where I live, a prawn cocktail is not the same as a shrimp cocktail. And on QM2, you can have a prawn salad sandwich at the Carvery at lunch (choice of bread, but I recommend on a roll - quite tasty but small - ask for two if hungry), but at dinner in Britannia, you can order a shrimp cocktail (whether or not it appears on the menu) and both "shrimp" orders differ.

Ok, I think I'm going to have to buy some fresh shrimp from Long Island for dinner tommorow night (about $20 a pound btw)

Ok, I think I'm going to have to buy some fresh shrimp from Long Island for dinner tommorow night (about $20 a pound btw)

BOY!! - that's even more expensive than fresh King or Tiger prawns here.:eek:

Barry

BOY!! - that's even more expensive than fresh King or Tiger prawns here.:eek:

Barry

You don't want to know what Alaska King Crab Legs are going for at the fish market in NY! Just my personal suggestion, but if fish is on the menu on your voyages - go for the fish! (If you find it not to your liking, ask for something else on the menu).

Nah! This is the good stuff. And where else but Down Under. Near Coffs Harbour I think Bazz or maybe Surfer's Paradise, I forget.

Shiny

Yes Shiny - down near Coffs Harbour. Just the shell of a small prawn that I caught!!

Barry

What do you mean "an awful lot of food"?

That's just the first breakfast.

Anon

Never managed more than one breakfast but last week we did lunch in The Verandah (the best cheese I've ever had on board) followed by fish and chips in the pub. Bad planning meant we had no time left for a pub lunch so it had to be done. I did skip afternoon tea though!

MrsH

Archived