Queen Elizabeth reviews- seconds thoughts?

1straveler

We did have Lobster as our last formal meal on QV this past Jan. It was done up as a thermidore. It was the cheaper "Rock" vareity. We had Maine/Canada variety in the Grills.

The portion was tiny, about 3 small forks worth.They would take the meat out add thermidore ing. reinsert into the shell. An easy way to control and reduce portion size..a sign of cheapness,sorry. I should have had the Beef Wellington. I know I could have had "seconds". I was just a bit disappointed in what really SHOULD have been a memorable meal. We're in the food industry, so we really like getting "wowed". We weren't that night. We found the 3 tastings in Lido to be far superior & easily worth the $10. You never felt rushed.(more like the Grills) We were always done no later than 7:45, but always felt a little rushed in Britannia. Do try oredering a Sorbet "Intermezzo" between Apps. & entree.

I have been on several cruises, different lines and not once has there not been lobster served on any of them. However, never on any of them have I had Maine lobster. I am spoiled being from New Hampshire originally where there was only Maine lobster served . Even here in Connecticut our lobsters are just the same as the Maine variety. I guess they cross borders (the lobsters I am talking about). I find the rock lobster tasteless and tough. I have finally decided after about twelve cruises that I would much prefer the Beef Wellington as well. Better late than never.:)

I have been on several cruises, different lines and not once has there not been lobster served on any of them. However, never on any of them have I had Maine lobster. I am spoiled being from New Hampshire originally where there was only Maine lobster served . Even here in Connecticut our lobsters are just the same as the Maine variety. I guess they cross borders (the lobsters I am talking about). I find the rock lobster tasteless and tough. I have finally decided after about twelve cruises that I would much prefer the Beef Wellington as well. Better late than never.:)

Yeah, I think I'll order the Wellington,too. In the Grills we did get Maine(or Conn.Lobster.They are the same)I found if you ordered Lobster in the Grills, you got the "Rock" variety. you need to order the "Lobster American" & do specify American Lobster, or you'll get the rock variety done "American" style. I do understand the cutbacks. That being said, Carnival Corp. needs to be careful here! The quality is slipping & it shows. We're now seriously looking at Oceania. We're foodies & that line excells in food quality. They have much poorer entertainment, as much of that budget goes to food. I don't care too much for their "Country Club" casual stance, but the food might win us over. The other reason is Cunard's big cut back in the US market. You now can't do B2B TA's since they now are starting in South Hampton. Do to our being in the catering bus. I'm relegated due to our busy season to travel mostly in the winter months.Many other lines have plenty of travel at that time..HAL/Celebrity/Oceania, etc.

Yeah, I think I'll order the Wellington,too. In the Grills we did get Maine(or Conn.Lobster.They are the same)I found if you ordered Lobster in the Grills, you got the "Rock" variety. you need to order the "Lobster American" & do specify American Lobster, or you'll get the rock variety done "American" style. I do understand the cutbacks. That being said, Carnival Corp. needs to be careful here! The quality is slipping & it shows. We're now seriously looking at Oceania. We're foodies & that line excells in food quality. They have much poorer entertainment, as much of that budget goes to food. I don't care too much for their "Country Club" casual stance, but the food might win us over. The other reason is Cunard's big cut back in the US market. You now can't do B2B TA's since they now are starting in South Hampton. Do to our being in the catering bus. I'm relegated due to our busy season to travel mostly in the winter months.Many other lines have plenty of travel at that time..HAL/Celebrity/Oceania, etc.

I enjoyed HAL very much, the food was very good.

What do they do about the claws to make the rock lobsters look American?

I enjoyed HAL very much, the food was very good.

What do they do about the claws to make the rock lobsters look American?

What claws? They just cook it in an American style...With brandy etc. Personally I like it bake stuffed with crab/lobster meat. Simply steamed with butter is a great way as well. Some chefs totally go over board with something that should be done very simply. I'm sure you'll agree with me on that.

I was in Britannia on a leg of the world cruise on QM2 last month. Lobster was on the menu one night but I did not order it - on my waiter's advice. He told me that several diners at the first sitting complained that it was 'tough' and he suggested I might like to order something else.

I tend not to order any seafoods at all on cruiseships. By the very nature of what ships do , seafood on a ship will have been frozen. Seafood however should be eaten fresh - the fresher the better, preferably straight out of the water onto the fire. I have yet to have any seafood on the ships we have been on that I would consider to be first class.

Barry

Not speaking from experience, as we've not yet been on any cruise, though about to go transatlantic on QM2. However, coming from Maine I'd have to agree that I'd probably not choose to have any kind of lobster on a cruise; even if it's good Maine lobster, it's certainly frozen, and we are terribly spoiled by having access to very fresh lobster. I will say that lately, the freezing techniques and product seem to have improved a lot, and we've tried using frozen lobster meat from a smaller local producer in a few cooked dishes, and it's pretty good. (I realize I'm contradicting myself here about frozen lobster!) As to other seafood, does anyone know if fresh seafood is used by Cunard on the first or second day out of port? I've downloaded quite a few menus, and "fresh" is mentioned for some of the fish selections.

I have been 15 times on the QM2 and the so called "cuisine" has become progressively worse over time. For example, if you want a chocolate croissant, standard fare on most mid to upscale lines, you will need to be in the pricey Grill Class. Cunard dinner portions are sometimes small and the waiters' can be surly. if you like bread and rolls with dinner, Cunard doles them out one at a time which is OK since they are generally awful. breakfast service is likely the slowest on the seas, often taking 90 minutes due to chronic understaffing in the britannia dining room. Cunard does have good routes but it is not a luxury line, and lags behind its sister line Princess. I patronize both lines because Cunard does seem to have superior routes, less rowdies, better entainment and ammenities. Staff tells me Cunard's "White Star" service is often found wanting because other lines pay more to crew. The Cunard brigade here will likely bash this, but I am an Anglophile and I am telling you the truth when i say Cunard cannot even provide a proper fry up in the AM.

I have only three Cunard cruises on my back and I cant agree with you in most cases. Only that some fineries have been abolished in recent years I can say is true and is the word of every long time Cunarder. On my last cruise the diner and service was fine on 16 out of 16 days. I dont need Caviar, and lobster once in two weeks is fine with me. I am glad the portions werent bigger, as they were just fine as not to feel oversaturated. Also the rolls I thought were good, and they were served more than once unless the waiter found the table didnt want to feast on rolls that evening. I also found breakfast in Britannia slow on only one day of the journey, not generally. If you´re in a haste its the wrong place anyway.

I have only three Cunard cruises on my back and I cant agree with you in most cases. Only that some fineries have been abolished in recent years I can say is true and is the word of every long time Cunarder. On my last cruise the diner and service was fine on 16 out of 16 days. I dont need Caviar, and lobster once in two weeks is fine with me. I am glad the portions werent bigger, as they were just fine as not to feel oversaturated. Also the rolls I thought were good, and they were served more than once unless the waiter found the table didnt want to feast on rolls that evening. I also found breakfast in Britannia slow on only one day of the journey, not generally. If you´re in a haste its the wrong place anyway.

I am not talking about fineries, I am saying Cunard food and food service lags behind Celebrity and Princess which is odd since Cunard shares its corporate HQ with Princess. Point in fact, no chocolate croissants and Mohr Im Haand seems to have disappered too (that's chocolate spotted dick). But yes they do have "biscuits" or very small scones and cool whip for tea with red jelly. The britannia dining room itself is nice unless you get stiffed with one of the bad tables near a waiter ramp or door.

I am not talking about fineries, I am saying Cunard food and food service lags behind Celebrity and Princess which is odd since Cunard shares its corporate HQ with Princess. Point in fact, no chocolate croissants and Mohr Im Haand seems to have disappered too (that's chocolate spotted dick). But yes they do have "biscuits" or very small scones and cool whip for tea with red jelly. The britannia dining room itself is nice unless you get stiffed with one of the bad tables near a waiter ramp or door.

May I ask you a favor, resistk? I understand that you feel that Cunard lags behind Celebrity and Princess in food and food service. And you have repeated a few times that chocolate croissants and chocolate spotted dick is no longer available. You obviously are not happy with the small scones with "cool whip", which personally I very much doubt. And in fact it seems you are not very happy with much about Cunard. But some people are. I, for one, am. I adore the QM2 and everything about it. And I don't really believe that by you constantly talking about the things that you find negative is fair to those considering a Cunard cruise or to those who have already booked a future cruise for the first time. So I am asking to please try to tone done your remarks because everyone is entitled to his own opinion and they should be able to make up their own mind what they like and dislike about Cunard.

Thank you:)

I am really hoping that the lack of chocolate croissants and chocolate spotted dick during our cruises on the 3 Queens in May/June does not spoil our enjoyment of the cruises. What do others think about this?? :rolleyes: Should we cancel out??

Barry

We were onQV this past Jan. & Chocolate Croissants were available at breakfast. I think just not all the waiters have them. I think they go fast. You could ask for some, which is what we did.

QE is a cruise ship, QM2 is a proper ocean liner. The best of both is/was the QE2, proper ocean liner hull, intimate and comfortable interior.

Of course - That explains the quality of the service and food served aboard ship...

:cool:

We're now seriously looking at Oceania. We're foodies & that line excells in food quality. They have much poorer entertainment, as much of that budget goes to food.

The CEO of Oceania has explained that they consider the food their entertainment - which is why the emphasize the former rather than the latter.

The CEO of Oceania has explained that they consider the food their entertainment - which is why the emphasize the former rather than the latter.

Hi bepsf,

I think you mistook this quote as being mine. I have never considered the Oceania for their food or anything else. I am perfectly satisfied with Cunard.

I wish I knew who said that though. :)

"We're now seriously looking at Oceania. We're foodies & that line excells in food quality. They have much poorer entertainment, as much of that budget goes to food."

Hi bepsf,

I think you mistook this quote as being mine. I have never considered the Oceania for their food or anything else. I am perfectly satisfied with Cunard.

"We're now seriously looking at Oceania. We're foodies & that line excells in food quality. They have much poorer entertainment, as much of that budget goes to food."

My Bad - Perhaps it was someone who was replying to one of your quotes.

Not speaking from experience, as we've not yet been on any cruise, though about to go transatlantic on QM2. However, coming from Maine I'd have to agree that I'd probably not choose to have any kind of lobster on a cruise; even if it's good Maine lobster, it's certainly frozen, and we are terribly spoiled by having access to very fresh lobster. I will say that lately, the freezing techniques and product seem to have improved a lot, and we've tried using frozen lobster meat from a smaller local producer in a few cooked dishes, and it's pretty good. (I realize I'm contradicting myself here about frozen lobster!) As to other seafood, does anyone know if fresh seafood is used by Cunard on the first or second day out of port? I've downloaded quite a few menus, and "fresh" is mentioned for some of the fish selections.

Hi mania. I'm a Maine Lobster lover too :) Regarding when fresh seafood is served, I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that question. But I can tell you that I've had fish dishes many times on QM2, and was really suprised by how well prepared the fish was - very tasty. So whether fresh or frozen, it's good. Sadly, I've never been served Maine lobster on board, and personally, I don't care for their shrimp cocktail, but my husband likes it. (Although we both agree that the cocktail sauce served with it can be VERY spicy).

Anyway, I hope you try the various seafood entrees on the menu and enjoy them as much as I have in the past. Please let us know your findings. :) Hope you have a wonderful time on your voyage. -S

Hi bepsf,

The Real PM, I think it's a partial quote from post #27. -S.

I am really hoping that the lack of chocolate croissants and chocolate spotted dick during our cruises on the 3 Queens in May/June does not spoil our enjoyment of the cruises. What do others think about this?? :rolleyes: Should we cancel out??

Barry

Barry, I think you should call shoreside immediately and ask if there will be any spotted dick on your voyages. If not, maybe you can bring your own rather than cancelling out :D As for the chocolate croissants, you can always order a plain one and put your "turn down service" chocolate from the previous night inside the plain crossant - problem solved :) -S

(Although we both agree that the cocktail sauce served with it can be VERY spicy).

Thanks for that advice- I will particularly look out for it now. I like VERY spicy :)- well, no more spicy anyway than what you would find in a street food market in Asia :)

Barry

Well--I think that if it's seafood one wants, then throw a hook and line over the side and catch it at the source. Now that's a thought. Mid-sea fishing expeditions--Wonder if Cunard has thought about that? All I know is that when we were on the Victoria one of the highlights was the Dover sole. I couldn't get enough of it. But we were in QG, so that may have made the difference.

Hi bepsf,

Actually, I said that. Oceania has poor entertainment as much of that budget goes to food. They do have the standard stuff like magicians comedians & such, but not the well organized shows of Cunard. We're looking at Oceania, the reason being, that Cunard seems to be abandoning the Caribbean for the most part. I'm able to travel generally only in the "cold" months due to my work in catering.

I was hoping that cunard would have some B2B trips say in Nov. or something like that.Well they do..If you fly to SouthHampton. We already did our trip last Jan. on QV. So we have no Cunard trips planned for the rest of 2012

The QV was very enjoyable, but the ship really rocks, even in light seas. I really much prefer the QM2 in that case. I did find food overall in Britannia to be better on QV than QM2. We haven't done the Grills yet on QV/QE so I can't comment. They were outstanding on QM2, however.

Well--I think that if it's seafood one wants, then throw a hook and line over the side and catch it at the source. Now that's a thought. Mid-sea fishing expeditions--Wonder if Cunard has thought about that? All I know is that when we were on the Victoria one of the highlights was the Dover sole. I couldn't get enough of it. But we were in QG, so that may have made the difference.

Yes, you won't see Dover sole in Britannia, a shame.I had it 3 times on our last QM2 trip. I'd be very willing to pay extra for it. Perhaps that's what Cunard should consider, an extra cost Al a Carte menu for Britannia.

Archived