Keeping your stuff (passport/money) safe while on shore

CruzerDeb

If you take your passport on shore with you, what do you do with it if you're excursion requires you to be separated from your "stuff"? Excursions such as snorkeling come to mind.

Last time I sailed, I left my passport in the safe in my room. All my excursions were booked through Carnival and I believe I went on the advice of seasoned travelers to just leave it on the ship.

I only took my S&S card, driver's license and a small amount of cash with me. Pretty much left my bag unattended when we snorkeled, etc.

I usually just take my wallet (S&S, drivers license and cash) and camera, and shove it at the bottom of my bag, covered in towels and things and leave it unattended when I'm in the water. I usually don't worry to much about it - figure everyone else has their own camera already :) Plus, there's nothing else you can do really. I don't like carrying waterproof cases around while in the water, just gets in the way. And I'd be more paranoid about my case not being waterproof. :(

If you take your passport on shore with you, what do you do with it if you're excursion requires you to be separated from your "stuff"? Excursions such as snorkeling come to mind.

Last time I sailed, I left my passport in the safe in my room. All my excursions were booked through Carnival and I believe I went on the advice of seasoned travelers to just leave it on the ship.

I only took my S&S card, driver's license and a small amount of cash with me. Pretty much left my bag unattended when we snorkeled, etc.

Ok I was in Walmart the other day and found a waterproof case for an iPhone that will fit your cash, credit card and S&S card as well for $14.00. I think you will even be able to fit your phone in there with all that stuff too. It's in the camera isle of Walmart and I was super surprised to see it there. Tried it out in our pool and it is water tight! So glad I bought it! :):):)

I agree. I don't and won't take my passport off the ship.

I suppose in the event you got lost while traveling in port- it'd be good to have, or an emergency rose while you were, again, traveling in port.

I'm just concerned it would be stolen, and then someone would try and steal my identity!

Out of three cruises- two to Mexico and one to the Bahamas, I didn't see a need for them.

I wanted to get it stamped in Mexico- but they told me they were no longer doing that!

I have 2 of the dry paks and LOVE them. Here are links to both of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Camera-6-Inch-1-5-Inch/dp/B000FE5PBU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1335559519&sr=8-9

and

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-DP56-Pocket-Case/dp/B004XHQTHO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1335559519&sr=8-8

Both of them will hold passport and several other items.

FYI...any good sporting good store carries them also. I know Dick's Sporting Goods carries them.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BJ41BE/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00, which is $10.48 right now.

It fits our ID, money, credit cards, my iPhone (which is HUGE because it has an OtterBox case), some painkillers and bandaids (just in case), and there's still enough room left that I could fit my camera in it if I wanted to. I don't put my camera in it, because it's waterproof and I always want it attached to my wrist for quick use.

I put my iPhone in a Ziploc bag and all of the other items into a separate Ziploc bag before I put them into the Dry Pack, but I only due that as an extra precaution. The Dry Pack has never leaked.

I have a Dry Pak and several similar dive wallets that all work well. The Dry Pak is the easiest to get in and out of. The others have 3 zip locks then roll up and snap. Dry Pak has a couple of levers that lock the opening with a good seal. Make sure to wipe down the seal and dry the pack after using it in salt water.

Some use them for cameras but I haven't been that brave yet.

The warm water tends to condensate on the inside at times so put a pack of Silica Gel in the bag to absorb the stray moisture. Their about $5 for 20 packs.

Got a big one for our Kindles, mostly to keep the sand and random moisture out, not to take them in the water.

I cary a small dry box that can go around the neck or in a pocket. I carry it even when we are snorkeling/diving etc. Big enough for passports/credit cards/cash/etc. Make sure you spend the money and get a GOOD one!;)

I'll second the recommendation for a GOOD one! I bought the cheap one that came from the CC store on here and ended up losing my cash and with both of our DLs, s&s cards, and credit cards on a reef in St. John. :eek::eek::eek: It opened right up while I was snorkeling. Thank goodness for a fantastic excursion crew that went looking for it and a fellow CC member on the tour who happened to spot my DL down on the reef. The tour guides actually went diving for my stuff and got everything back but the cash.

I was a wreck for the 30 minutes or so they were looking thinking of the hassle of replacing licenses, notifying the credit card company from a foreign port, and trying to get back into the port area and ship with no ID at all.

I'll second the recommendation for a GOOD one! I bought the cheap one that came from the CC store on here and ended up losing my cash and with both of our DLs, s&s cards, and credit cards on a reef in St. John. :eek::eek::eek: It opened right up while I was snorkeling. Thank goodness for a fantastic excursion crew that went looking for it and a fellow CC member on the tour who happened to spot my DL down on the reef. The tour guides actually went diving for my stuff and got everything back but the cash.

I was a wreck for the 30 minutes or so they were looking thinking of the hassle of replacing licenses, notifying the credit card company from a foreign port, and trying to get back into the port area and ship with no ID at all.

Mine was like $30, but have had it for years. Also good for hunting/fishing/rafting/camping/etc never had any moisture or dry seal.

I agree with other comments about passports - we leave them in the safe. But for our IDs, ship card, and cash we had great success with putting that into a zip-loc baggie and then into a zippered pocket on my husband's swim trunks.

Certainly not stylish, but it worked!:)

We never take our passports with us unless we need them to travel to another island. Regarding money, iPhone, credit cards, etc. we never leave them unattended. We learned the hard way when our sons iPod was taken while he was relaxing in a towel. We always have someone watch our bags and we return the favor. Also, we tie our bags to the chair or umbrella at all times.....just harder to grab. We have had problems at one of the beaches in SXM so you must be careful when traveling to these islands.

Archived