Time in port

I'd call the Memphis office and ask down there about your specific trip. Honestly, due to the vagaries of river travel each trip might have shore stops at different times of the day and lengths.

• 3 weeks later...

Each voyage's individual itinerary is now listed on the GASC website. Locate the cruise you are on and bring up its itinerary page and the times that the Str. AMERICAN QUEEN will be at a given stop are there. Mind you it is always N.C.P., Navigational Conditions Permitting!

UPS delivered our travel documents this Friday for our June 4th thru June 9th voyage.

I realize that not all itineraries will be comparable to ours but perhaps this will give you an idea of the time frames allowed for shore excursions.

Jun 03, 2012 Arrive Westin New Orleans Canal Place

Jun 04, 2012 Depart Westin New Orleans Canal Place

Jun 04, 2012 Transfer New Orleans from Westin Hotel to Port

Jun 04, 2012 - 19:30 Departure NEW ORLEANS

Jun 05, 2012 - 08:00 Arrival OAK ALLEY

Jun 05, 2012 - 13:00 Departure OAK ALLEY

Jun 06, 2012 - 08:00 Arrival ST. FRANCISVILLE

Jun 06, 2012 - 13:00 Departure ST. FRANCISVILLE

Jun 07, 2012 - 08:00 Arrival NATCHEZ

Jun 07, 2012 - 17:00 Departure NATCHEZ

Jun 08, 2012 - 08:00 Arrival BATON ROUGE

Jun 08, 2012 - 17:00 Departure BATON ROUGE

Jun 09, 2012 - 08:00 Arrival NEW ORLEANS

I hope this helps.

Thinking about a Mississippi River cruise in May of 2013. want to go ahead and nail down. BUT... 1) have seen some bad reviews on ACL, and 2) GASC is brand new!? Many of us would appreciate any thoughts after your GASC cruise and any others in re ACL.

Thanks!

Mike

We did pretty much this same itinerary years ago on the late, lamented Mississippi Queen. It was a lot of fun and very different from a typical cruise. The only difference was we stopped at Vicksburg and not Oak Alley. Our first stop was St. Francisville where we found out about "tying up to a stump and dropping the stage". The actual stop was in, as I remember, New Roads across the river. We woke up to find the boat tied up to shore in the middle of nowhere. There was a small car ferry to carry us across the river on the nearby rural road. Busses met passengers on the other side to tour the plantation. I don't know if they've since built a bridge or arranged for the boat to tie up on the St. Francisville side but that stop is one of my most vivid memories of the cruise as it was the perfect example of riverboat cruising.

Yes, it would be New Roads, LA across the river from the St. Francisville/Bayou Sara Landing, but I'm not sure which side of the river the AMERICAN QUEEN lands at now. When I worked on the DELTA QUEEN, or was a paying passenger on either the DELTA QUEEN or MISSISSIPPI QUEEN, we always landed at the Army Corps of Engineers' Bayou Sara Casting Field on the left decending bank.

Archived