Mexican Vanilla - Cozumel or Costa Maya?

rockbock

I bought some amazing and CHEAP Mexican vanilla last October in Cozumel. We'll be back again this year and I want to stock up. But this year the ship will also be stopping in Costa Maya.

Which port has the best prices?

(and all I'm asking about are prices...I don't need information about cumarin, favorite brands, etc.)

Being from Mexico I would like to offer you some advice. Wherever you buy it, insist on the glass bottle, never plastic. Look for the dark vanilla, not the clear one. We Mexicans don't usually buy Vanilla, we make our own. Find a 1 quart jar, glass only, fill it with Vodka, split a vanilla bean in half, (I like Madagascar), put into the Vodka, leave it in a dark cabinet at least 6 months and Voila!! Your own Vanilla, you can pretty up the Mason Jars and people LOVE it. Great Christmas gift. Sorry....:o I get carried away sometimes :rolleyes:

interesting info, didn't know it was that easy to make vanilla. Another question, is there a way to buy some vanilla beans in Cozumel? I'm sure technically I'm not supposed to bring them back on the ship, but would love to make some homemade using Mexican-grown beans

You can find the vanilla beans but only at specialty stores, not your regular "Mercado" I order on ebay with several friends and we split the beans and cost. We make creamers, vanilla sugars, extract etc... I will definetly ask when I get to Cozumel, try that store next to Panchos Backyard, can't remember the name right now.

If you're buying at the port duty free shops prices will be the sme in both ports. There may be a slight diffeence from one private vendor to another on Cozumel. But prices between Los Cincos Soles (both port and downtown) versus other shops versus duty free at port were within 20 pesos of each other. I believe you'll be primarily at the mercy of port vendors only in Costa Maya although there may be a shop or two in Nuevo Mahahual just outside the port gates. Nothing along the malecon.

My suggestion is find the type of vanilla you want and buy it then. Otherwise, you're wasting dollars of time searching for pennies of savings.

If you're buying at the port duty free shops prices will be the sme in both ports. There may be a slight diffeence from one private vendor to another on Cozumel. But prices between Los Cincos Soles (both port and downtown) versus other shops versus duty free at port were within 20 pesos of each other. I believe you'll be primarily at the mercy of port vendors only in Costa Maya although there may be a shop or two in Nuevo Mahahual just outside the port gates. Nothing along the malecon.

My suggestion is find the type of vanilla you want and buy it then. Otherwise, you're wasting dollars of time searching for pennies of savings.

Ok, thanks. I'll just go where I know it's cheap in Cozumel. I paid about half what they charge in Los Cincos Soles and it's very good quality (glass bottle, no cumarin)

Ok, thanks. I'll just go where I know it's cheap in Cozumel. I paid about half what they charge in Los Cincos Soles and it's very good quality (glass bottle, no cumarin)

Where did you buy it?

Where did you buy it?

Sorry, I wish I could answer this, but I can't. I checked just about every shop at the port. I know which one has it if I see it, but I have no clue what the name is. When you get off a ship at Puerta Maya, it's one of the shops that's centrally located. It's not situated very far off to the left or the right. It's in the "back" row of shops, not the ones closest to the ship.

• 1 year later...

What is a good price for Vanilla in Mexico (if you don't mind saying) - I grew up in South Texas and we used to pay 89 cents a bottle - that's been 10 or so years ago in the Texas/Mexico border towns. I was shocked when I saw the prices on our last cruise (we could have been in Costa Maya.) They still beat grocery store prices -but maybe I'm missing the better deals. :D I definitely need to stock up.

We also paid $3-$4 for a Mexican blanket. I cringe when I see them for $24 at the port.

Where the majority of Mexican vanilla is produced. This was back in the late '60s when our family traveled the interior of Mexico extensively.

At their marketplace you could buy little animals made totally out of twisted vanilla beans. I bought a scorpion, probably made of 8 or so beans. It smelled so good! Probably cost less than $2 too. Good memories!