Moderate exercise and eating

kennysahr

Hey everyone,

This looks like an interesting forum.. Ok, to the dirty details. I'm 33 and in my 20's I was a junk food addict. Wasn't fat but wasn't thin. But was on my way up had I not stopped..

I'd rather eat Big Macs than expensive food. Can down boxes of cookies every other day. Today I exercise 5-7 days a week. A moderate workout is all you need. You don't need a book or a guide. Just start doing 30 min's of walking. After a few months of that, join a gym and start doing weights. 5-10 kilos on each machine/station is enough. You're not looking to be a bodybuilder, just to increase your metabolism and slim down a bit.

Once you get into a rhythm, you just crave the junk food less.

I never read books about this, never paid attention to the latest fads. On food, I just stopped gouging myself. 1-2 tacos is enough, no need for 5. One Big Mac every few weeks, not 2 at a time every day. You get the idea.

When I'm on the ship, I'll workout everyday if I can but definitely on days when we're not in port.

I see all these scientific-detailed diets and I think to myself, "just a bit of walking and weights and eat more veggies and less greasy food" -- the "secret" here is so simple, no? :)

A few years later, I'm able to go on 90 minute hikes and enjoy it. I don't miss that "Jabba The Hut/I'm Stuffed Beyond Belief" feeling that I used to have after every excessive meal and box of oreos.

Good luck to others!

You started early in your 20's...you said enough and

started what worked for you! Less food and exerciseing.

Your enjoying life!

Thank you so much for sharing. We like to hear how everyone

lost their weight and got healthy. Sure you helped someone

right now by posting this.

Hey Kenny!

Way to go!

You are so right about not needing fads or "special" diets or programs to lose weight & stay healthy. Just good old common sense & the will to apply it. I've lost 31 lbs since September by cutting out most fast food, junk food & processed foods. I also go to the gym 5 days per week, alternating aerobic activity with weight training. Now that the weather is warmer, and that I have the stamina & energy, my bike will be coming out of storage!

Because of my high cholesterol, I do have to pay special attention to saturated fats, but my cholesterol went down from 241 to 214 over 8 or 9 months, just by cutting back on saturated fats & some junk food. Then when I "got serious", it dropped again from 214 to 174 with diet AND exercise, in the space of 4-5 months, after losing only 18 lbs! If I can do it, so can most people. I recommend that people try this before they try the drugs -- it's better for you, & you'll FEEL better, not just get your "numbers" down! (I know that some people do need to use cholesterol-lowering drugs, because diet & exercise alone are not enough for them - like my mom - but JUST using the drugs does NOT give you ALL the health benefits of increasing your physical activity & eating right.)

And I really want to say that participating in these forums is really a great help to me. I find motivation in learning about other people's successes (like yours, Kenny), large & small. And even though I am not yet a "success story" - I still need to lose another 40+ lbs - I find that I can celebrate each of my small successes along the way - each 10lb milestone, each time I can lift a slightly heavier weight or increase the level on the exercise bike or ellipse machine, the first time I went up a flight of stairs without feeling like I needed oxygen, everytime I buy clothing in a smaller size ... and the list goes on!

The best part about what I'm doing is that because I am just doing the "sensible thing" -- I will be able to just continue doing it to maintain my weight loss & health level when I've reached my goal.

Good luck to all!

Archived