Back from Allure

Just back from Allure. There have been many reviews and pictures so I won't bore with details about things that have already been covered. Just wanted to say that it was a FABULOUS ship, as I expected!!! Having sailed Oasis, there were not any huge surprises. The ships are very similar of course.

I enjoyed the better placed electrical outlets in the room. Although our bathroom had a poorly placed glass shelf above the sink that my husband kept hitting when he bent over to spit when brushing his teeth. The comedian did some hilarious comedy about the ridiculous wire shelf in the shower. LOL!

We enjoyed our experience at Chops. Had a FABULOUS waiter, Emrah from Turkey. Be sure to request him if you go to Chops.

We visited Windjammer a few times for breakfast and found it to be a tad better than on Oasis. Went twice for lunch, once was such a horrible selection we did not eat there. The other time was very good with quality and selection.

The staff in Windjammer was wonderful to my mother who had a wheelchair. Very helpful.

We found the dining room to be a tad disappointing. The selection was not great. But the bigger issue for us was our waiter's lack of attention to food allergies. Despite the fact that we filled out forms prior to departure, AND telling our waiter the first night we were in the dining room that my mother was allergic to onions and daughter allergic to nuts, he brought a salad with onions on it and a soup with a nut garnish. It was the 3rd night when he brought the soup with the nuts......we told him she was allergic to nuts and he said "Nobody told me!" Well.....we had already told him TWICE and we had also filled out a form prior to sailing. On two previous sailings on 2 different cruise lines, the head waiter and the waiter knew about the nut allergy before we got to the dining room! The waiter also served my mother a dish with onions another night and then ARGUED with her that there were no onions in the dish. He then checked with the chef and sure enough there were onions in it....which of course my mother already knew from tasting it. She was ill the rest of the night. The head waiter came over and took her order for the next night and assured her it would be prepared with no onions. The chef apparently did not start preparing the dish (even though the order was taken the night before) and the waiter served the rest of the table their meals and my mother's came out 20 minutes later! The waiter should have known better. The chef should have been more on top of things. None of this should have happened! I intend to write a letter. Our Assistant Waiter was FANTASTIC though! Knew our names. Immediately knew who drank coffee and who drank tea, etc. VERY attentive!!

We liked Oceanaria better than the show on Oasis. We preferred Blue Planet over Come Fly With Me, although we certainly enjoyed that one. The headliner show was "Imagine"....some sort of John Lennon tribute. Could have lived without that completely. The music was good but it was just totally uninteresting. The ice show was FABULOUS! The comedians were very funny, particularly AJ Jamal. The afternoon show at the Aqua theatre was very good. Chicago was just okay. Much preferred Hairspray. Chicago was uninspiring......no costume changes or scenery change or anything to keep your interest. Singing was good, but I was anxious for the show to be over. Still head and shoulders above the standard cruise ship singers and dancers that you normally get on regular cruise ships though.

Allan Brooks was our CD and he was very good. Was a little nervous about the CD since we had Richard Spacey on Oasis and he was SUPER FANTABULOUS! I was afraid other CD's just wouldn't match up. Allan Brooks was GREAT! Loved him!!!

Of course, The Quest was fun and entertaining, as usual.

While looking at someone else's Allure photos, I found a photo taken in a men's room of a whole bunch of elephants....looks like they are sitting in a theatre or something. My husband and brother were on a mission all week to find that bathroom. FINALLY, at 1am the last night of the cruise, they found it!!! LOL! Someone else was in the bathroom taking a picture of it when they went in. The guy was a little embarrassed. Was kinda funny that they were there to do the same thing!!! My 25 year old daughter went in to see it too. LOL!

I remain amazed at the thought that went into this ship. And the incredible organization for getting people on and off the ship.

My biggest disappointment was that we didn't have some sort of minor malfunction that would have required us to remain at sea for one extra day!

Thanks for your review!

Your treatment in the MDR is shocking! I've seen videos of the special allergy prep area, and there is such a huge lability in offering ths service and then failing to provide it! If they don't want to take on that responsibility they should just say " eat at your own risk, we will provide a list of ingredients". Even if the food doesnt have the offending food in it, some people can literally die from eating other food prepped in the same kitchen. We have a friend whose son went anaphylactic from sitting on a leather chair after his cousin had sat and left traces from her hand cream with nuts in it!:eek:

Glad to here the shows were good, and you liked Alan- not getting my hopes up tho, I read all about Richard Spacey and was so excited, the he switched out just before our Oasis cruise:rolleyes:

You could post a couple of photos, just for fun??;)

I am just off the Allure and have Celiac disease and can't say enough about how accomodating our wait staff was for me. I had NO issue whatsoever with getting gluten free food in the MDR. Each night our waiter would bring a menu and the head waiter came over and took my order for the next night including desserts.

So sorry your experience wasn't as positive.

Packer fan.....this is the type of service my daughter received on 2 previous cruises....received menu the night before and the head waiter made lots of special effort.

Lorey...you have to go on Allure and hunt for the elephants!

We reserved all our shows in advance. We did not want to be disappointed and not be able to see one. It's just a lot less stressful for us to book ahead.

I will try to post some pics.

I was with #1Packerfan and not only were they terrific with her GF stuff, but they also took amazing care of me. I am pretty much a vegetarian and each night they brought be out this awesome plate of steamed veggies, just what I asked for instead of veggies I don't like. Could not have been more pleased with their service to both of us.

We have a review about ready and #1Packerfan will probably get it posted tomorrow sometime. All I can say is everything about Allure is amazing!

Archived