Little French Key?

Messunderstood

Thanks for the review (I read it all) and the pictures. It's too bad you didn't have time to snorkel at Chankanaab. I have a feeling you would have been very pleased with it. I love Chank, it's one of our favorites. It's just so beautiful there.

Do you know how much the drinks were (monkey-lalas and soda) there at LFK? And you only get 2 free drinks with your admission right?

mtsugirly, sorry it took a couple days to get back to you. I have an email from LFK that says beer and mixed drinks are $5, sodas are $2 and blended specialty drinks are $7. Hope that helps!

mtsugirly, sorry it took a couple days to get back to you. I have an email from LFK that says beer and mixed drinks are $5, sodas are $2 and blended specialty drinks are $7. Hope that helps!

That's awesome. When I ask I got a "general" asnwer like $5-7 or something like that. I like having the break down so I can plan how much to take. :)

Argh- I keep going back and forth on this place. We are here booked for our upcoming cruise and it is the most expensive excursion were doing (twice as expensive as the all inclusive in Cozumel). I need reassurance that this place is worth it!! It looks so beautiful but man is it pricey!

That's awesome. When I ask I got a "general" asnwer like $5-7 or something like that. I like having the break down so I can plan how much to take. :)

Plan on $2 per person in ones, for the cab that gets you out of the tourist-village. I forgot to do that and since we had to split into two cabs, one of them got a bigger tip than I had intended. Too early in the day for them to have any change. No Biggie.

LFK seems to have stabilized a great deal on their prices over the last year. But it's definitely not set in stone. My email from them had me expecting to pay for the blended drinks, but by the time we took the cruise they began to be included in the 2-comp-drinks.

It's not Applebee's but if it were, we wouldn't have gone there!

If anyone is not sure about going because of price or principles, by all means skip it and do something else. Part of the charm was that it was not overcrowded OR over-structured.

They yelled at me from the bar when I started walking too far onto the living reef. This would have ruined the day for some people - on the contrary I LOVED to see that they care about the piece of ocean they are occupying. I waved, turned around and got an easily-available kayak.

I overheard a couple returning from a casual no-boat snorkel. The young gentleman was excitedly saying that he has been diving all over the world at many wonderful sites, and this was THE BEST reef he has been to.

I am glad that I canceled the $215-for-four-people cabana on Mahogany Beach that I'd booked thru the ship. Food/Drinks would have been extra and it would not have been the really nice day that we had away from the swarms!

I do want to see West End on another trip, shoot I want to go back for a week or two and poke around Port Royal with a metal detector!

Check out "Roatan Odyssey" by Anne Jennings Brown for her personal experiences living on the island several decades ago.

This is a great thread - it's been really helpful in helping me to make up my mind. I think we're definitely going to stop here in early July...I just have a couple of quick questions for those who have been here.

1. Do they keep an eye on the time for you, or do you let them know when you would like to leave? I know they take you there by small boat - not exactly come and go as you please (which is one reason we like this place!)

2. Does lunch automatically come with all four meats, or can you order whatever you want?

Might be dumb questions, but you're all so helpful in "tying up the loose ends"! Thanks for your time!

1. Do they keep an eye on the time for you, or do you let them know when you would like to leave?

They watch the time. They know how long it takes to get to Mahogany Bay and to Coxen Hole. If you want to leave earlier just tell them that too.

2. Does lunch automatically come with all four meats, or can you order whatever you want?

Just tell them when you either go to the grill or order.

I'd tell them about any big changes (like "my whole party of 10 will want all Chicken") ASAP when you're getting your wristbands, before ferrying to the Key. Reason being they send a big chilled platter of all the ingredients from the restaurant based on their bookings on that day. They don't have a fridge or freezer on the Key, they just haul ice over. The place is run on a windmill and a generator they run every once in a while.

If you want something extra special (like "all Caribbean Lobster and shrimp, no Beef or Chicken") then work that out via email with Moishe or Larissa.

If you're just not into the Lobster, let's go at the same time and you can put it on my plate. :p

Plan on $2 per person in ones, for the cab that gets you out of the tourist-village. I forgot to do that and since we had to split into two cabs, one of them got a bigger tip than I had intended. Too early in the day for them to have any change. No Biggie.

LFK seems to have stabilized a great deal on their prices over the last year. But it's definitely not set in stone. My email from them had me expecting to pay for the blended drinks, but by the time we took the cruise they began to be included in the 2-comp-drinks.

It's not Applebee's but if it were, we wouldn't have gone there!

Wait, what cab? Upon emailing back and forth with them, they told me that the taxi from the port to the restaurant was covered and on the ride back. :confused:

Honestly, I think the actual price of going really "sucks". Most places do not cost this much and when they do (or less) it's an AI that includes EVERYTHING...drinks, food, all you can eat and drink. I think the prices they are settling on is going to drive people away. I have been debating on this place for so long JUST because of the price alone. It looks like a beautiful place and I want to experience it, but at these prices, I will probably never go back again no matter how beautiful it is. I really wish they would consider this as a place with 1 price and everything included and just stick with that. :( I bet they would get more bookings.

Wait, what cab?

The independent tour operators aren't allowed to come inside/close to the shopping area unless they are dropping off customers. So to meet up with Victor Bodden or LFK transportation, there is a walk uphill from the "inside" cab stand and around a corner, then you see the independents lining the road outside the compound.

The walk is free but my wife definitely would not want to make it.

The builders/owners (Carnival) set it up this way.

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

The independent tour operators aren't allowed to come inside/close to the shopping area unless they are dropping off customers. So to meet up with Victor Bodden or LFK transportation, there is a walk uphill from the "inside" cab stand and around a corner, then you see the independents lining the road outside the compound.

The walk is free but my wife definitely would not want to make it.

The builders/owners (Carnival) set it up this way.

So are you saying they have some type of transportation (like a trolley or something) for when you get off (or back on) the ship you can just catch it and they'll take you to the port exit?

So are you saying they have some type of transportation (like a trolley or something) for when you get off (or back on) the ship you can just catch it and they'll take you to the port exit?

That would be nice but they don't.

There is a parking lot with taxis on-premises if you walk thru the shopping plaza and bear left. Just past the marimba band I believe. That lot connects to a road that leads out of the property.

To connect with a non-cruise-line-booked tour, you walk up that road (literally uphill) and leave the property. There is where all the independent vendors connect with their customers.

Like in Belize, you know? But with a MUCH longer walk.

Coming back, the independents can drive into the cruise center and drop you off in the taxi parking lot.

That would be nice but they don't.

There is a parking lot with taxis on-premises if you walk thru the shopping plaza and bear left. Just past the marimba band I believe. That lot connects to a road that leads out of the property.

To connect with a non-cruise-line-booked tour, you walk up that road (literally uphill) and leave the property. There is where all the independent vendors connect with their customers.

Like in Belize, you know? But with a MUCH longer walk.

Coming back, the independents can drive into the cruise center and drop you off in the taxi parking lot.

Ok gotcha. It sounds like what we had to do a few months ago in Costa Maya...walk down the VERY LONG PIER, through the complex, out the gates, down the street to the end where the taxis can go to pick you up. I remember it being a very long, hot walk. :o This sounds about the same (but uphill...yikes)

Ok gotcha. It sounds like what we had to do a few months ago in Costa Maya...walk down the VERY LONG PIER, through the complex, out the gates, down the street to the end where the taxis can go to pick you up. I remember it being a very long, hot walk. :o This sounds about the same (but uphill...yikes)

Yes! :) Much shorter Pier, but long uphill driveway.

We took a "$2 pp cab ride" up the hill instead. Wherein you still have the PLEASURE of walking past ALL the shops first.

I look forward to reading your comparison of their snorkeling / reef vs. other sites.

I did not end up with a lot of pictures, I think the ones already posted cover the same sights very well.

I kayak'd out and stuck a cheap waterproof one-use camera in the water and took a roll of "maybe this will work" shots. The light/color was really washed out on everything past 1 meter, and blurry on everything closer. Surprisingly I saw I caught some schools of fishes, but nothing good enough to post. :(

Thank you very much, sminfiddle! That was really, really helpful! And trust me - I'll be keeping the lobster...there are a few in our group who aren't big seafood people though, so it's good to know that we can put in our requests. :)

They watch the time. They know how long it takes to get to Mahogany Bay and to Coxen Hole. If you want to leave earlier just tell them that too.

Just tell them when you either go to the grill or order.

I'd tell them about any big changes (like "my whole party of 10 will want all Chicken") ASAP when you're getting your wristbands, before ferrying to the Key. Reason being they send a big chilled platter of all the ingredients from the restaurant based on their bookings on that day. They don't have a fridge or freezer on the Key, they just haul ice over. The place is run on a windmill and a generator they run every once in a while.

If you want something extra special (like "all Caribbean Lobster and shrimp, no Beef or Chicken") then work that out via email with Moishe or Larissa.

If you're just not into the Lobster, let's go at the same time and you can put it on my plate. :p

We were just there 4/4 and loved this place. Sooo happy our time was extended in this port. It was the most expensive beach excursion we booked, but by far our favorite. Food was awesome, try the Monkey lala drink loved those:)I want the recipe. Drink prices were well priced and were good drinks not overpriced watered down. Can't wait to go back on an extended stay in Roatan. They will take great care of you. Enjoy:)

We just returned from LFK.

It was great and food was awesome!

There is plenty of space to decided if you want shade or sun, to be alone or visit with other guests.

They ask you to what time you want to leave and the boat travels back and forth frequently so if you wanted to leave earlier there should not be a problem.

One suggestion is to bring exact change and lots of one. This is a mom $ pop operation and sometimes they do not have change. My husband wanted a coke ($2) and had a one and a five. They sold the coke for $1 since they didn't have change.

The food is not all you can eat but you can buy more if you would like. I really enjoyed the chips and salsa. ($7 for an order)

We just returned from LFK.

It was great and food was awesome!

There is plenty of space to decided if you want shade or sun, to be alone or visit with other guests.

They ask you to what time you want to leave and the boat travels back and forth frequently so if you wanted to leave earlier there should not be a problem.

One suggestion is to bring exact change and lots of one. This is a mom $ pop operation and sometimes they do not have change. My husband wanted a coke ($2) and had a one and a five. They sold the coke for $1 since they didn't have change.

The food is not all you can eat but you can buy more if you would like. I really enjoyed the chips and salsa. ($7 for an order)

Thanks for the reply and your thoughts. I'm getting excited. We always bring tons of ones, so that won't be a problem. I do have a question though. Others have mentioned that they charge a really high "tax" rate on their food/drinks when you buy them. But, you mentioned you were able to only give them $1 for a soda because they didn't have change. Did they not charge you tax on your drinks or food when you ordered the chips and salsa?

Oh, one other thing I wanted to ask while I'm thinking about it.

When LFK didn't reply to my reservation request for a few days, when they did, they mentioned that they were without internet for several days. I know some of the places you visit in the Caribbean will have free wifi access at the places you visit. Does anyone know if this place has it? (I know, we're suppose to be on vacation, but my husband owns his own business and needs to check his site out as often as possible when we're away or the shipping's will get backed up and could be a disaster upon return. I'll admit too, I love to post a good Caribbean picture to the folks back home to drool over for the day as well :D )

I have another quick question (I don't think I've seen it asked before) - about how long does it take to get to/from the port and LFK? I'm starting to wonder if our limited time in Roatan (8am-3pm) would be worth the trip to LFK, if a good amount of the time will be spent travelling. Thanks again, everyone!

ry%3D400

This is the pier area at Coxen Hole. Docking here there is no hill to walk up, you just walk through the "mall" area and out to the main street area there you will be greeted by...

ry%3D400

Someone like this! You will also find your LFK driver (included in your package...but don't forget the tip!) here. :D It was about a half hour, maybe less, drive from this location. We passed the bay that a Princess ship was docked in, I don't know if that means the other pier is closer or farther as it looked to be down hill a ways. Once you arrive and pay for your day you are ferried over on this...

ry%3D400

On the island the welcoming committe is much cuter!

ry%3D400

Here's a pic (not very clear) of the Princess ship taken from our balcony on NCL's Dawn. We had pretty decent weather in the morning, but the afternoon was overcast.

ry%3D400

Hope that helps a little! As far as the price goes...I feel it is really expensive...is it worth it??? Well, that is a personal call. Would I go back...not at $98 p/p. We did have a really nice time though and the food was the best that we had in any port!

Sweet. You always see the pictures posted everywhere by the water and where they jump off the high deck. I never see much of the actual "grounds" and wondered what else was there to see. This is awesome. I really hope we don't miss this port. I'm getting worried because I keep reading that Carnival misses Roatan a lot. :( I will be so disaapointed if they do.