Little French Key?

Messunderstood

So sorry to hear that your ship missed the ports!

I'm interest in hearing more about the snorkeling tour that goes out to the reef. We have seen and heard so much about what LFK is like, but I can't find much info on the snorkel to the reef trip they offer. I'm not sure if it's because many don't go to if it's just not that great to talk about.

Our last trip to Roatan we went to West Bay and fell in love with snorkeling and if we go to LFK we would hate to be disappointed with the snorkeling. But we love what the island has to offer. We are also looking at Maya Key.

Since we were perfectly happy with the snorkeling and things I was finding right there at LFK, we did not go out to the reef, but before I went to LFK, I did ask someone else that went out there about it and they said it was an actual reef and they enjoyed it (this was on here). But, what one person enjoys and thinks is nice may not be the same for someone else.

If you want to experience an awesome reef, just from my experience, Maya Key is what you are looking for. It's just that awesome. :D

I do not have sufficient adjectives to describe how beautiful and amazing LFK is!!! I am one of those awesome reviews on Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g292019-d2285434-Reviews-or20-Little_French_Key-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html#REVIEWS. This takes you right to my review. I'm Sherri. :)

We reserved the Full Island Package, but added snorkeling when we got there. And yes, you pay when you get there. Having the transportation to and from was AWESOME!!! The van was a little crowded, but it's air-conditioned, and we enjoyed visiting and getting to know each other.

I highly recommend the snorkeling as well. It's soooooo beautiful. I could have stayed out there all day!

The owner served us lunch too. VERY good food, and he's very down to earth! Our package came with two free drinks a piece....but we don't drink, so they fixed me the most delicious virgin drink. They will accomodate whatever you'd like. The bathrooms were very clean too. That's says alot!!

The animal sanctuary is very nice. We got to hold two of the monkeys. Soooo cute!!

The beach was pristine if you just want to lay in the sun in disbelief that you're in paradise, but there was also a volleyball net for those who wanted to start a game....thinking of those of you with kids who have endless energy.

You can see several photos from me and others on Trip Advisor. We've already booked on RCL for Sept 2014...I specifically looked for a cruise including Roatan so we could go to LFK again. It's amazing!!

Edited by Blondie70

I do not have sufficient adjectives to describe how beautiful and amazing LFK is!!! I am one of those awesome reviews on Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g292019-d2285434-Reviews-or20-Little_French_Key-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html#REVIEWS. This takes you right to my review. I'm Sherri. :)

We reserved the Full Island Package, but added snorkeling when we got there. And yes, you pay when you get there. Having the transportation to and from was AWESOME!!! The van was a little crowded, but it's air-conditioned, and we enjoyed visiting and getting to know each other.

I highly recommend the snorkeling as well. It's soooooo beautiful. I could have stayed out there all day!

The owner served us lunch too. VERY good food, and he's very down to earth! Our package came with two free drinks a piece....but we don't drink, so they fixed me the most delicious virgin drink. They will accomodate whatever you'd like. The bathrooms were very clean too. That's says alot!!

The animal sanctuary is very nice. We got to hold two of the monkeys. Soooo cute!!

The beach was pristine if you just want to lay in the sun in disbelief that you're in paradise, but there was also a volleyball net for those who wanted to start a game....thinking of those of you with kids who have endless energy.

You can see several photos from me and others on Trip Advisor. We've already booked on RCL for Sept 2014...I specifically looked for a cruise including Roatan so we could go to LFK again. It's amazing!!

Isn't it just beautiful there? One of the prettiest places ever.

I would like to hear more about the snorkeling. That was the one thing we didn't end up doing and I wish that we had. Did you get any snorkeling pictures to show the reef? Can you tell me if they have a platform out there if you canoe to the reef, to "park" your canoe? I remember when I was searching LFK, someone mentioned this. I was thinking when we were there that I might have seen one, but wasn't sure. I did see a bunch of people take the canoes out there to snorkel (you can do this for free without paying for the snorkeling "tour"). This is one of the most asked questions (about the snorkeling and reef). I have yet to find anyone that has posted any pictures of the reef. :(

Also wondering about the ease of getting in and out of the water. I have no problems with a boat ladder, but a canoe or kayak if something different. I would foresee getting out easy, just go off backwards. But I have limited mobility and strength in my left arm/shoulder after 2 surgeries. It does not hinder me snorkeling but getting up a ladder out of water is a little more trying. Would I be able to do the reef at LFK based on this????

Please someone who did the reef snorkeling at LFK address this.

How much is the day package at LFK?

And I would love to hear more snorkeling comparisons between LFK, Maya Key or taking a boat out at West end to the reef.

The prices are listed in the posted email one of the members received from LFK...above somewhere. The Full Day Package (includes lunch) we purchased was $88 per person, but we added snorkeling when we got there. Not sure how much it ended up costing. Also, they charge 12% for credit card usage, so if you think you might add-on once you get there, bring extra cash.

I've never been to Maya Key, so I cannot speak to the comparison there. We haven't been big snorkelers in the past. We bought our own equipment this past summer and took it with us so we could snorkel at our leisure at each port. It was great to have our own equipment!! At LFK, we went out on a boat to the reef. We were out about 30 minutes, I think. NOT long enough! :p Since I'm fairly new to snorkeling, it was beautiful and amazing for me. I will say for someone who has snorkeled many times and seen some awesome ocean sights, it might just be average. There were some very experienced snorkelers in our group, though, who didn't wear vests and were diving down to the reef, so there must have been something decent to look closer at. :) The crew was very helpful and friendly. Maybe someone who has snorkeled at lots of locations can speak to the comparison.

Also wondering about the ease of getting in and out of the water. I have no problems with a boat ladder, but a canoe or kayak if something different. I would foresee getting out easy, just go off backwards. But I have limited mobility and strength in my left arm/shoulder after 2 surgeries. It does not hinder me snorkeling but getting up a ladder out of water is a little more trying. Would I be able to do the reef at LFK based on this????

Please someone who did the reef snorkeling at LFK address this.

To be honest with you, my DH, who is 57 and in good shape, was having a hard time with endurance because the wind got up and the waves were coming in...some at 4-5 ft. (I'm 14 years younger than him :D, and I didn't have any problem.) Also, I don't intend to speak badly about anyone, but since you're specifically asking, I think it's relevant....an early 30-something female, who was at least 50 lbs overweight, had a really hard time getting out of the water up the ladder. If the water was calm, it might have been easier, but you never know what the weather will be like once you get out there. The waves and/or wind didn't effect the actual snorkeling for me. If you've been snorkeling from a boat before and had no problems, it's likely no different than that.

To be honest with you, my DH, who is 57 and in good shape, was having a hard time with endurance because the wind got up and the waves were coming in...some at 4-5 ft. (I'm 14 years younger than him :D, and I didn't have any problem.) Also, I don't intend to speak badly about anyone, but since you're specifically asking, I think it's relevant....an early 30-something female, who was at least 50 lbs overweight, had a really hard time getting out of the water up the ladder. If the water was calm, it might have been easier, but you never know what the weather will be like once you get out there. The waves and/or wind didn't effect the actual snorkeling for me. If you've been snorkeling from a boat before and had no problems, it's likely no different than that.

Thanks, I'm used to a boat ladder since we have one. I was wondering about a canoe or kayak if we did that instead on our own. We have our own snorkel gear.

It's sounding more like we may be better to do Maya Ket or a private with snorkel add on.

This is simply my experience w/ snorkeling @ LFK...

We have booked this excursion two years in a row, August each time...the first time we snorkeled the reef last year - I had just bought a new u/w camera the week or two before our trip & unfortunately was just not that familiar w/ it to get many good shots...was it worth it - yes for us it was... however, this year we went, we had a non-snorkeler w/ us & did not want to abandon her while we did the snorkel, which last year lasted about an hour!

That being said, depending on the weather, wind, current, you may snorkel the reef @ different places...the reef seems to basically circle the island...while we were there last year a dive boat brought a group of divers to dive the same reef (there weren't but a few & they were non intrusive & dove at a different time than the snorkel group went out...)

Re: snorkeling by kayak...I do not see how this would be a better option...for instance, what would you do w/ the kayak while you snorkeled? I have never seen a place out to tie it up?

P1020067.JPG

P1020056.JPG

P1020057.JPG

Would I snorkel the reef again? Absolutely!

This year we snorkeled around LFK on our own (as we also did last year in addition to the reef snorkel) - there are a lot of little fish! We saw & held sea cucumber (brought up by LFK personnel) & saw a lionfish brought up by the special lionfish 'removers'! This place rates a 10 out of 10 for our family...if there were only one ship docking @ Mohagony Bay, we would have seriously considered snorkeling at the end of the long pier there...but alas, two ships equals lots & lots of peeps bobbing around in the water!

P8280357.JPG

P8270309.JPG

The mainland was not 'visible' in '12, but there it is in '13!

P8280791.JPG

P8280820.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Little French Key last week, and it was the highlight of all my caribbean cruise experiences. I paid $88 for a package that included transportation to and from the ship, two drinks, lunch, kayaks, beach chairs, a little zoo, and clean restrooms.

This island is stunningly beautiful, and there were a maximum of 100 guests on it that day. I spent the day swimming in the inlet and kayaking. In between swimming and kayaking, I enjoyed delicious margaritas and declicious chicken curry.

Everyone who works at Little French Key was extremely nice and friendly. They seem to really enjoy their job.

I got to hold an adorable baby monkey from the zoo.

There are tons of beach chairs and lots of shade under the trees. You can hang out in a quiet, secluded part of the island, or near the bar, where you can listen to fun music.

Larry (one of the drivers) was waiting for passengers to get off the ship at 8:00, and they got everyone back to their ship on time.

I had the best experience in Roatan of anyone else I talked to on my ship. Little French Key should absolutely be your destination of choice in Roatan!

• 2 weeks later...

What a great thread! I read through the entire thread and it sounds even better than it ever has considering it is 10 degrees outside during the day! Lol

This is the first excursion booked, I still have to book all my other ports of call, pricey but seems worth the experience, how many times will I go to the Honduras?

Seems my kiddos will eat the filet mignon, chicken and shrimp so we should be good to go.

We will be first time NCL cruisers, used Carnival alot, Royal Carribean and Holland America, hopefully we like it.

• 2 weeks later...

1 already answered .

2 I have a seafood allergy our package comes with lunch , I see they have more than shellfish , but is it buffet style or should I bring some extra food.

3 we get 2 drinks but is it okay to bring your own beer , and if so is there a store near port you can grab a couple cold one ahead of time. I hope someone is still reading this post thanks

we were there 2 weeks ago. meat/shellfish are grilled. you can ask them to keep something off of your plate. they made us a vegetarian plate. all of the meats/shellfish are cooked on the same grill and same utensils are used. also gave us extra meat and no shellfish on 1 plate-no allergy just general dislike of shellfish.

they have beer there for purchase. buy the bucket. I just wouldn't bring in my own. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it would be awkward-at least for me. also, assuming they are providing transportation the others on your shuttle may not want to make any stops.

Thank for you help, I'm not sure what the set up is if its mainly a bar you odviously couldn't bring your own beer. I live on the outer banks in north Carolina. And its common to bring beer to the beach. Or you can go up to one of the hotels and get a drink. I was hopping that I could grab a couple beers outside of the port area. If not I will just by my beer there. How much were the buckets of beer anyways. . Thanks again.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app