Little French Key?

Messunderstood

well, we're still debating over this excursion…we leave saturday! DD wants to see the animals, I want the beach and clear water, DH wants snorkeling…seems like we would all get what we want but it's still up in the air as to whether it's worth the 4 hours we will get on a short port day….considering just going to west bay, alternatives?

well, we're still debating over this excursion…we leave saturday! DD wants to see the animals, I want the beach and clear water, DH wants snorkeling…seems like we would all get what we want but it's still up in the air as to whether it's worth the 4 hours we will get on a short port day….considering just going to west bay, alternatives?

Maya Key through the ship?

A handful of us questioned him about it on their FB page and there was a mixed bag of answers but then he said he wasn't booking the tours, another person was booking tours through them. He even went so far to say he's never been contracted with ANY cruise line. Sp idk wth is going on over there but I'll wait till some other guinea pigs go first lol

We were there on March 12th. It was our 1st time there. When we made our reservation back in November we chose it because it was 'private'. When we got there it did not seem so 'private' with all the Carnival cruisers. It was hard to find a place for our party of 6 to be together. The buses that they used for transportation were old and we were packed on them like sardines. We then had to wait until the 3rd boat transfer to take us from Frenchy's to the island. Yes, the island is nice, but for the $88 we paid per person I wanted the uncrowded experience that he promotes in his description of his place.

I think by opening it up for people to book it through the cruise line instead of individually he will not maintain his ranking on Trip Advisor.

If we were to visit Roatan again I am not sure if we would return there if it remained an excursion that is booked through the ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm curious if more negative reviews will pop up on Trip Advisor when it becomes too crowded to get a lounge chair. I saw a negative review on TA the other day and didn't care for the owner's response. I can totally sympathize with the reviewer.

If I pay that much to go there and I can't get a lounge chair I'm going to be pretty upset. I still haven't decided where we're going to go, but LFK is beginning to lose its appeal.

I'm curious if more negative reviews will pop up on Trip Advisor when it becomes too crowded to get a lounge chair. I saw a negative review on TA the other day and didn't care for the owner's response. I can totally sympathize with the reviewer.

If I pay that much to go there and I can't get a lounge chair I'm going to be pretty upset. I still haven't decided where we're going to go, but LFK is beginning to lose its appeal.

I saw that same review.. The owner did not even address the chair issue.. I'm nervous..We already booked for our cruise in May to go there. I'm going to give it a try but I agree.. the owners come across as rude sometimes..

Makes me glad I booked Maya Key.

I too saw the negative reviews because I was still wondering and looking to make sure I had booked the right one.

Can't ones for May change to something else? No way would I go there now.

I'm going to be watching the reviews & will go somewhere else if more issues arise..

well, after reading the same negative review I too got uneasy about spending $98 per person for a 3-4 hour adventure o a tiny little island that I am expected to share with 300 others! Yes, that was the response I got when I asked how many they limit to access…..that is way too many for me. We are sad we missed the 'private' days when it was reserved for a minimal few. Sounds like they got greedy…..I highly doubt they have enough accommodations for all to enjoy the privacy and amenities of such a small place. We have opted for a beach area at west bay, if anyone wants to share a last minute suggestion I would appreciate it.

You guys have to think like a business owner and not with your hearts. massive company comes calling and wants to send lots of paying customers your way? As a small business owner, he (LFK owner) cannot say no to that. I myself am not a business owner but look at it from their point of view. A few may give less than stellar reviews, but if I had to guess, the large majority of cruisers search carnival.com for excursions and not CC, tripadvisor, etc. like we all do and will never see the bad reviews on here, only the ones on carnival.com's shore excursion page.

All this doesn't mean I disagree with your concern, just playing devil's advocate.

Edited by YaWk3Y_BoMb3r

You guys have to think like a business owner and not with your hearts. massive company comes calling and wants to send lots of paying customers your way? As a small business owner, he (LFK owner) cannot say no to that. I myself am not a business owner but look at it from their point of view. A few may give less than stellar reviews, but if I had to guess, the large majority of cruisers search carnival.com for excursions and not CC, tripadvisor, etc. like we all do and will never see the bad reviews on here, only the ones on carnival.com's shore excursion page.

All this doesn't mean I disagree with your concern, just playing devil's advocate.

I have no problem with a small guy making ends meet….charging $98 a person for minimal amenities (meaning limited kayaks, chairs, etc) and it's not even all inclusive! 2 drinks per person? I just don't think it's good business to sell out and continue charging premium rates.

I, too, already made reservations for September, but I'm currently looking for another option!! Having been there, there is NO WAY 298 other people will fit on that island and result in an enjoyable day. :eek: THAT is crazy! I also agree with Yawky Bomber, too, that the owner is running a for-profit business. I don't hold it against him that his main concern is not MY feelings for privacy on the one day I'm there.:rolleyes: I just will choose not to do business with him unless my ship is the only one docked on that day. Yes, many others who get the word will stop going there also, but it will not outnumber the dollars he'll gain from a contract with a cruiseline like Carnival. It won't even compare, quite frankly. Welcome to the Free Enterprise System. He can make his choices... and so can I.

If anyone has another truly private option (or even a bigger public option) for Roatan, I'm open for suggestions as well. I'm heading back to the main Roatan board now for more research. :cool:

Sherri

I, too, already made reservations for September, but I'm currently looking for another option!! Having been there, there is NO WAY 298 other people will fit on that island and result in an enjoyable day. :eek: THAT is crazy! I also agree with Yawky Bomber, too, that the owner is running a for-profit business. I don't hold it against him that his main concern is not MY feelings for privacy on the one day I'm there.:rolleyes: I just will choose not to do business with him unless my ship is the only one docked on that day. Yes, many others who get the word will stop going there also, but it will not outnumber the dollars he'll gain from a contract with a cruiseline like Carnival. It won't even compare, quite frankly. Welcome to the Free Enterprise System. He can make his choices... and so can I.

If anyone has another truly private option (or even a bigger public option) for Roatan, I'm open for suggestions as well. I'm heading back to the main Roatan board now for more research. :cool:

Sherri

Oh I definitely don't knock his hustle but I was looking for something exclusive too. I can get a crowded Beach for free lol

Yes, I was just looking for the 'private island" feel I guess. I don't want to be fighting over chairs all day..lol I'm also checking the boards.. I'm wondering about Pirate's Bay- Las Palmas. Not many recent reviews but its an excursion offered by RCC for $ 25.00 for the day.. Looking at all options at this point..Anyone else find anything else? West Bay is too crowded for my liking it seems..

... I'm wondering about Pirate's Bay- Las Palmas. Not many recent reviews but its an excursion offered by RCC for $ 25.00 for the day.. Looking at all options at this point..Anyone else find anything else? West Bay is too crowded for my liking it seems..

From checking out Trip Advisor, Pirate's Bay-Las Palmas looks good, but Maya Key looks even better! Even though it's a ship excursion, it's a very large area, has an animal rescue center also (like LFK), and a fresh-water pool as well. Appears to have been in business a while, so they've got it figured out. Many recent, great reviews on Trip Advisor. That's likely where we'll end up.

Sherri

From checking out Trip Advisor, Pirate's Bay-Las Palmas looks good, but Maya Key looks even better! Even though it's a ship excursion, it's a very large area, has an animal rescue center also (like LFK), and a fresh-water pool as well. Appears to have been in business a while, so they've got it figured out. Many recent, great reviews on Trip Advisor. That's likely where we'll end up.

Sherri

Yes, I agree..Maya Key looks good..But Pirate's Bay is soo much cheaper..lol I'm a simple person..Just get me to a nice beach with a drink & I'm good for the day.. :)

Edited by chellecruise12