Good shopping

wailea4me

In June we will be in Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Seward, Haines, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan on a cruisetour. What are your favorite shops for good and reasonable items that are made in Alaska? I'm open to anything.

The Alaska Native Medical Center has a small gift shop where they sell items that are made by Alaska Natives and brought in from the villages throughout Alaska, as well as Anchorage.

http://www.anmc.org/HospitalServices/craftshop.asp

Another location that we like is the Alaska Fur Exchange in Anchorage.

http://www.alaskafurexchange.com/

Both of these places are several miles from downtown and would require a car.

Many folks pick up an ulu here. This is close to the railroad depot in Anchorage.

http://www.theulufactory.com/

Now if you want less expensive and don’t care where the “Alaska” item is made you can always go to Walmart.

Right now Alaska Auction is having their auctions on Sat. AM. One of the best places to pick up true Alaskan carvings at a very cheap price...Summers they frequently change their dates and times...You can look at the goods they have to sell.....and see the prices of their previous auctions...They sell all kinds of Alaskana every week....along with lots of other stuff. A fun way to see another part of AK....It is in Anchorage..and they have free coffee and hot dogs are usually a buck...and it all goes to charity.....(the food $$$)....What a deal...Google Alaska Auction

In June we will be in Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Seward, Haines, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan on a cruisetour. What are your favorite shops for good and reasonable items that are made in Alaska? I'm open to anything.

I like the Tongrass Trading Company which I believe is in Ketchikan- the cruise ships will give you a coupon book for them. Lot's of freebies or deep discount souvenirs!

I like the Tongrass Trading Company which I believe is in Ketchikan- the cruise ships will give you a coupon book for them. Lot's of freebies or deep discount souvenirs!

The problem is that 94.7% of what Tongass Trading Company sells is Made in China. Check the stickers. Cheap stuff but not supporting Alaskan handicrafters and artists.

Not a lot of shops carry Alaskan made stuff. I tried to copy the logo, but couldn't, so here is the website.

http://www.madeinalaska.org/mia/

The shop will usually display this emblem in their window, and the items will also have this tag on them.

We found a shop in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. In Ketchikan there is a small gift shop at the Saxman Village Totem Park that sells hand-crafted items (but they aren't cheap).

You will pay more for the Alaskan made items, over the Chinese made items (that's just the way it is), and I don't think I ever saw hand-crafted slippers anywhere.

Have a great trip!

Not a lot of shops carry Alaskan made stuff. I tried to copy the logo, but couldn't, so here is the website.

http://www.madeinalaska.org/mia/

The shop will usually display this emblem in their window, and the items will also have this tag on them.

We found a shop in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. In Ketchikan there is a small gift shop at the Saxman Village Totem Park that sells hand-crafted items (but they aren't cheap).

You will pay more for the Alaskan made items, over the Chinese made items (that's just the way it is), and I don't think I ever saw hand-crafted slippers anywhere.

Have a great trip!

Try Alaska Fur Exchange in Anchorage.

http://www.alaskafurexchange.com/slippers.shtml

If you're looking for/at jewelry, every port has those HUGE stores which are all part of big chains selling in the Caribbean and Alaska.

I watch for small places; many have a small sign that says "Local Owner" or something like that.......they have lots of Alaska made products and it's money toward the Alaska population.

In Sitka, there's a wonderful husband and wife shop across from the Russian Church (St. Michael's) not toward the sea...as you exit the church, turn toward your right, cross the street and go right.......This young couple make and sell their own designs, etc. and have very reasonable prices.

IF you go left, at the end of the street is a wonderful Book Store....with lots of great AK books (as well as others!).

The last time I was there, it was raining lightly and when we stopped at the first table display a sign said, "Please don't drip on the books." You gotta love local owners like that!

Kayef, I too would recommend that little shop in Sitka! Its tiny, but the folks that own it are so helpful and not pushy at all. And they have beautiful things! I have 2 pieces from them - a lovely Alaskan Amber necklace that never fails to draw admiring comments, and a hand hammered bracelet with a gold quartz stone in it.

Look for the Made In Alaska logo. And even better is to look for the Silver Hand logo for items made by Native Alaskans.

In Anchorage the Ulu Factory or the Alaska Mint will have locally made stuff. If you are in Anchorage over the weekend the Downtown Market on 3rd will have booths with Alaskan stuff.

For the cheap stuff, I like the Alaska Wildberry Company. Their candies are great and made locally.

The Native Hospital in Anchorage & the Alaska Native Heritage Center are also good sources.

Archived