Officials fret over new passport rule

http://www.al.com/business/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/business/1114939182190560.xml

Excerpt:

"We are doing everything we can to try to change the deadlines," said Lyndsay Rossman, a spokeswoman for International Council of Cruise Lines, an Arlington, Va.-based lobbying and regulatory body for the cruise industry. "A lot of our cruise passengers have already booked 2006 cruises to the Caribbean. It's a little too tight to make that be the exact deadline."

Homeland Security will open the proposed timetable to public comment in a few months, according to Christiana Halsey, spokeswoman for the department's Customs and Border Protection bureau. All changes mandated by the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 must be in place by Jan. 1, 2008.

Cruise industry officials worry about the government's ability to handle a glut of passport applications. Only 60 million Americans, or 23 percent, have passports, according to the State Department.

Yeah, I don't understand the big deal either. 23% of people have their passports... well, what is the percentage of people that cruise? They act like the other 73% are going to be running out getting passports to go on a cruise :rolleyes: 7 months is plenty of time, considering that not everyone that doesn't have a passport is going to be cruising in January... I seriously doubt that the Dept of Homeland Security is going change the deadlines for the cruise lines, and I would be disappointed if they did. There is plenty of time and these people are fooling themselves if they think for a minute anyone believes they are trying to extend this because of their customers booked in 2006 :rolleyes: They are fearing a revenue loss, plain and simple.

Passports are great identification, no address, no ssn or phone number, what a great preventative for identify theft - and people are balking at getting one????Go Figure!!!!! :confused:

Passports are great identification, no address, no ssn or phone number, what a great preventative for identify theft - and people are balking at getting one????Go Figure!!!!! :confused:

Can some one in the "Whitness Protection Progam" get one?

I'm with y'all- get a passport already!!! The only thing that I do feel for some passengers with a large family is the cost... Some folks save for many years to be able to take a vacation and adding $100pp to that trip might be just too much for some to handle.

If they change the requirements at all, maybe it could be a law for adults for 2006 and give another year or so to minors..

I thought this did not come into effect until the end of 2006? I guess that they will be implimenting it slowly... I still have to get my passport costs I think $80CDN and is good for 5 yrs not a bad investment.. unless you dye your hair purple or something!!!!

I thought this did not come into effect until the end of 2006? I guess that they will be implimenting it slowly... I still have to get my passport costs I think $80CDN and is good for 5 yrs not a bad investment.. unless you dye your hair purple or something!!!!

For traveling to the Caribbean or Central America (and one other?), it starts 12/31/05... My passport this last time was a bargain... $80 for 10 years, and still used it on a cruise after it was expired... When you break down the cost per year, you are right, it's not that bad at all...

I'm with y'all- get a passport already!!! The only thing that I do feel for some passengers with a large family is the cost... Some folks save for many years to be able to take a vacation and adding $100pp to that trip might be just too much for some to handle.

If they change the requirements at all, maybe it could be a law for adults for 2006 and give another year or so to minors..

Plan for it! that's what we're going to do. We're thinking about cruiseing in 2006 with our kids so we'll just start the passport process when we get an extra few bucks and go one at a time. We cruise in Aug. of this year (just me and hubby) and we just got our passports (don't need them this year) but planning ahead--now i don't have to buy all 4 at once.

Oh kewl thanks GoinCruisin,, did not realize that it was in effect that fast. I think that everyone should have a passport travelling or not much easier of a document to have unlike a birth certifcate like mine the original that is almost 37yrs old .. afraid to open it the paper may fall apart LOL Makes life much easier everyone to have the same documentation!

I agree!! Passports are a great way to travel!!!! But some people cant believe the cost involved in getting them..... But I say if you have a large family, just do one a paycheck..... that will help keep costs managable... and with 7 months to go, you have plenty of time!!

So, Can someone tell me what happens if..... You have your passport when you get on board. You go to some island or Mexico and take it off with you.. Sometime while on shore you lose it..Now you are able to get back on board the ship, cause you have your S&S card.. (believe me I think I would rather get back on board than stay in the foriegn port with no passport.)... now you get back to the states and they start the debarkation process.. you are there with no passport, possibly a copy of it if you had one in your safe. Do they make you stay on the ship or put you in a holding tank until you can prove you are a US citizen that lost their passport. Or do you just hide out in your room and hope they don't notice you?

You would have to deal with customs... not having a passport and trying to get back in the US can be a daunting task... I'd just suggest you hold on to your passport real good :p LOL!

I would have bought a passport this time, but when I booked my cruise (next Saturday) there wasn't enough time, unless I paid extra to have it expedited. Therefore, I'll get it before my next trip to Canada, since I have friends there.

Don't understand what the big deal really is? Get the darn passport. Mine only took 2 1/2 weeks! Just something else for the whiners to jump on! :confused:

I agree.

http://www.al.com/business/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/business/1114939182190560.xml

Excerpt:

"We are doing everything we can to try to change the deadlines," said Lyndsay Rossman, a spokeswoman for International Council of Cruise Lines, an Arlington, Va.-based lobbying and regulatory body for the cruise industry. "A lot of our cruise passengers have already booked 2006 cruises to the Caribbean. It's a little too tight to make that be the exact deadline."

Homeland Security will open the proposed timetable to public comment in a few months, according to Christiana Halsey, spokeswoman for the department's Customs and Border Protection bureau. All changes mandated by the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 must be in place by Jan. 1, 2008.

Cruise industry officials worry about the government's ability to handle a glut of passport applications. Only 60 million Americans, or 23 percent, have passports, according to the State Department.

I for one do not see the big deal being made of this. Most experienced Travelers already have their passport. The ones that do not have a passport have plenty of time to get one before the time for enactment of the legislation. Just go out and get it done!

Stop criying over something you have control over.

My DH and I are getting our passports for our Feb.2006 cruise. I would rather have the passport than have to drag along all that paper to identify who I am. And have to worry about keeping it save so I don't loose it. We are more than willing to spend the $$$. ;) ;)

The money I spent on passports and travel insurance could have paid for another cruise. :rolleyes:
And how is that a problem? I look at it this way...

A passport is smaller and easier to replace than a birth certificate.

Adequate notice has been given by the state department about the new passport requirements. The cruise lines have also given notice.

And, there is plenty of time to get your passport application processed.

Besides, the cost of one emergency medical evacuation is equivelent to about a dozen cruises (at least).

Archived