Knee Replacement?

Shatima

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering. Who has had a Knee replacement (or family member) that went on a Carnival Cruise? I want to know what happen when you got ready to go through Security? Did they take you over to the side, etc.. I just would like to have a heads up..

Thanks SO much,

Happy Cruising :D

My father has had both knees replaced. Back in 2010 on the Liberty, he was always stopped when coming back on the ship from being in port. All he did was have his card handy and showed the security. You would have thought after a couple of times they would have remembered him and know his condition. Although I can't blame them after all the people they see coming off and on the ship while in port each day.

However, never was stopped at the airport or in security line coming into the cruise terminal.

My DH has had two knee replacements (2009 and 2010) and he is always stopped both at the airport and at the cruise port. However, we have been cruising RCCL the past 11 years. So, we do not know what Carnival will do yet since we do not sail with them until this coming June. Maybe RCCL's equipment is more sensitive. I don't know. He doesn't have a card, but you would think that the scars down both knees would be a clue. The wand never seems to be enough, either. So, they always pat him down. It slows the process down somewhat, but we have just accepted it as our new normal.

My DH has had two knee replacements (2009 and 2010) and he is always stopped both at the airport and at the cruise port. However, we have been cruising RCCL the past 11 years. So, we do not know what Carnival will do yet since we do not sail with them until this coming June. Maybe RCCL's equipment is more sensitive. I don't know. He doesn't have a card, but you would think that the scars down both knees would be a clue. The wand never seems to be enough, either. So, they always pat him down. It slows the process down somewhat, but we have just accepted it as our new normal.

I know right!! The Scars say it all... But they still have to check...

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering. Who has had a Knee replacement (or family member) that went on a Carnival Cruise? I want to know what happen when you got ready to go through Security? Did they take you over to the side, etc.. I just would like to have a heads up..

Thanks SO much,

Happy Cruising :D

I have had a knee replacement and it will depend on the security at the ports...I was so surprised on our last cruise...we had security in the port and on the ship...port security always did a pat down...I was using a W/C due to problems during recovery.. I just plan and expect a pat down wherever I go...and take in stride. Just cannot figure out why I have to have the women do it..and not some good looking fella...tee hee :p.

PS...I have no card and have never been asked to provide it when flying in the US or Canada..or boarding any ship.

Cheers

I have had 2 knee replacements--never had a problem at the embarkation port, but usually have to be wanded at the ports and/or getting back on the ship. Just seems to depend if they have the security equipment turned up or not--I just tell them I have 2 knee replacements, they wand me & send me on my way. No big deal. Last week getting back on the ship my friend with 1 knee replacement was in front me, he set off the alarm, I went through right behind him & didn't set anything off! Go Figure!

FIL had no problem with his new knee in the Port of Long Beach in February. Neither did he have any problems in LAX or JFK over 9/11 weekend last year.

He did use wheelchair assistance at the airports.

Thanks Everyone :-)

SO no special lines, & ETC.. We have a Paper/Card from the Dr.

My replacement was six months before we cruised and when I got into the line for Security, the agent saw I was having a hard time walking and moved me to the front. It never hurts (if its actually needed) to ask an agent if it's possible for you to move to the front of the line (even if only the person with the knee replacement so it doesn't look like the entire party is trying to benefit from it).

Worst they can tell you is... so sorry. Right?

I have had 2 knee replacements and get stopped by security every time I go on the ship. I do have cards as they were done at separate times, but basically, the cards are useless. I say that because if anyone wanted to get one, I'm sure they would be able to do so.

I usually wear capri pants getting on the ship as well as in ports, so I just show my scars and I am then free to go onboard. At airports I now go through the full body scanning where possible rather than the horrendous pat downs.

I am looking at two knee replacements in the near future. I never thought about troubles with security!:eek:

I would like to ask those of you that have had replacements a quick cruising related question, though (hope the op doesn't mind!).

We like to cruise every June. I will need to schedule my first surgery soon, and I'm wondering about the recuperation time. If I have my surgery in January of next year, will I still be able to cruise the following June??? Is 6 months enough time to heal?

Everyone's different but,

FIL(around 80) had one knee replacement and bypass surgery the same week and he traveled NY 6 months later. Even danced at his niece's wedding.

I carry a card --- from my doctor --- with the type of replacements --- also a copy of the surgery it self --- just in case --- --- it will be 5 years in November of 2012--- a few times will getting back on the ship I have the bells go off -- showed them my card -- and they can see the scars--- which are just a very fine thin line --- doc did a great job --- had both replaced at the same time --- much easier --- Love it --

I have had 6 total knee replacements (4 on left and 2 on right),:eek: cards don't do any good. They are going to pull you for extra security anyway. Boarding ships are the easiest of all transportation, and not a problem. Most of time you don't have to remove belts or shoes. I normally wear shorts unless it freezing. I just pull up the leggs a little and show the scars and it goes quickly.;) Airports are the worst but with the new body scanners, I go thru as quick as anyone else.:D

Me, both knees, hubby one hip-always stopped at airport-never bothers me, I just feel like it is a little massage and know they like it less than me.

On and off ship-my knees always get me scanned-half the time, hubby's hip causes him to get scanned with wand. No big deal. The cards the doctor office gives you are worthless-they will still check-and as a former TWA flight attendant who was working a flight that had an attempted hijacking, bring on the security checks!!

I didn't have any trouble with my knee replacement on the Dream, the Legend, the Elation (the first time) or on the Jewel of the Seas.. In March I did get the "buzz" every time I went through security getting on the Elation. They just pulled me aside and wanded me. I told them about the knee replacement, and that was that. No problem, they were very nice about the whole thing. The cards don't really help, anyone with a computer can make one. Scars tell the story tho! :eek: :D

I haven't had a knee replacement but I do have a leg full of hardware from a broken leg and ankle. This was 3 1/2 yrs ago. They use titanium which doesn't usually set off security. I have gone thru airport security with no problems. Last Sept we were on the Conquest, I got thru security with no problems. My BIL has had a knee replacement, titanium, and has flown many times without problems.

I am looking at two knee replacements in the near future. I never thought about troubles with security!:eek:

I would like to ask those of you that have had replacements a quick cruising related question, though (hope the op doesn't mind!).

We like to cruise every June. I will need to schedule my first surgery soon, and I'm wondering about the recuperation time. If I have my surgery in January of next year, will I still be able to cruise the following June??? Is 6 months enough time to heal?

I think a lot depends on the individual and the type of replacement. My first one was the type where it was cemented at both ends. Within three weeks, I was driving, bending it about 95 or 100 degrees. I was pain free and back to doing almost everything I did before the surgery.

The second one was a totally different story. It was one that was cemented at one end and the bone itself would end up growing around the implant.(really not sure of the medical terminology) At the end of 6 or 7 weeks, I was still not doing all my regular things. Over the period of months, it got better and I have far more flexibility with that knee than the other one.

I doubt you would have any problem if you planned on 6 months after the surgery. Good luck!

Archived