Bringing fresh flowers on board – okay or not?

SB007

A recent thread has discussed not being permitted to bring fresh food onboard; I want to ask about the rules regarding bringing onboard fresh flowers.

Has anyone been prevented (by NCL staff) from bringing flowers onboard? Was it at the start of your cruise (what city?) or at another port mid-cruise? Can anyone point me to an official NCL policy that prohibits bringing fresh flowers onto the ship? Does anyone have a first-hand, personal experience they’d care to share?

I’m wondering specifically about a cruise to Alaska departing from Seattle. Other posts have recommended purchasing bouquets at the Pike Place market to bring onto the ship, but I don’t want to do that if they’re going to be confiscated when we check in.

Thanks!

A recent thread has discussed not being permitted to bring fresh food onboard; I want to ask about the rules regarding bringing onboard fresh flowers.

Has anyone been prevented (by NCL staff) from bringing flowers onboard? Was it at the start of your cruise (what city?) or at another port mid-cruise? Can anyone point me to an official NCL policy that prohibits bringing fresh flowers onto the ship? Does anyone have a first-hand, personal experience they’d care to share?

I’m wondering specifically about a cruise to Alaska departing from Seattle. Other posts have recommended purchasing bouquets at the Pike Place market to bring onto the ship, but I don’t want to do that if they’re going to be confiscated when we check in.

Thanks!

I did buy flowers at Pikes Market for our Pearl cruise with no problems but that was 4 years ago, just email NCL and ask and let us know what they say!

We took the Pearl's first trip to Alaska from Seattle, and it departed on Mother's Day. The DHs (three couples) dropped we wives off at the terminal, then went to return the rental car, then showed up with a beautiful bouquet from Pike's Market for each of us. What a wonderful surprise, and no, they did not prohibit us from bringing them onboard.

BTW, we could have sold those bouquets 100 times over to other fathers who had not done the same for their DWs on Mother's Day!!!!!!;)

Happy sailing, sure do wish I could be going back there with you.

I have carried on flowers on multiple cruise lines, both at embarkation and at ports of call. Once as I was having my ID checked prior to boarding tender with flowers, a crew member reached out to take the flowers...I though he was going to confiscate them, but he was just making a "flowers for me?" joke. We laughed and the flowers went aboard with me. I specifically recall carrying on flowers in Port Everglades, Long Beach, Manhatten, Port Liberty, Split, and Maui; I am sure there are others...I have done it so often I just can't recall all of them. I even carry a collapsible travel vase so I do not have to ask for one on board.

PS. You will not be able to take them off the ship to shore due to ag rules...so plan to enjoy then only on board, not in your hair or on your lapel as you go ashore.

Mcmomny, the reason I asked for personal first-hand experiences from Cruise Critic members is because I don’t want to ask NCL directly. I can’t find any rule on their website prohibiting bringing flowers onboard, but I don’t necessarily want to draw attention to an issue that they might feel the need to say “no” to, if asked. Since it’s apparently been done successfully in the past, that’s good enough for me. Thanks.

Thank you, planma’am, for your thoughtful reply. The flowers will be a surprise for my MIL, who has never cruised before. From your signature, it looks like you enjoyed cruising to Alaska enough to repeat it a couple of times … we’re hoping for smooth seas.

Thank you, Starry Eyes, for the tip about the collapsible travel vase. I’ve been checking the local Goodwill for an inexpensive plastic “crystal” vase that we could leave behind on the ship – but I like your idea better. The flowers should last for the week we’re onboard; thanks for the reminder that they can’t come off the ship with us.

Here is the company that made my first collapsible vase. I works well on the ship and has not tipped over yet. I bought mine in a mueseum gift shop, but a wide selection is available on line. http://www.vazuusa.com/

I later picked up a smaller inexpensive one from a bin in Office Depot of all places, so you might find one in a local store.

Here is the company that made my first collapsible vase. I works well on the ship and has not tipped over yet. I bought mine in a mueseum gift shop, but a wide selection is available on line. http://www.vazuusa.com/

I later picked up a smaller inexpensive one from a bin in Office Depot of all places, so you might find one in a local store.

Have also found mine at Office Depot bins and the Dollar Tree.

I have never been stopped leaving the ship with flowers. Last Nov. when we got to customs and agent asked my husband if I had flowers because of celebrating a special occasion or did he misbehave and have to get on my good side. (hubby said he bought them "just because" and the agent laughed and told him it's because of guys like him the rest of them have to do the same lol

PS. You will not be able to take them off the ship to shore due to ag rules...so plan to enjoy then only on board, not in your hair or on your lapel as you go ashore.

We carried the roses that I bought through the Bon Voyage gifts off the ship in Hawaii. Vase included. Nobody said a thing.

Mcmomny, the reason I asked for personal first-hand experiences from Cruise Critic members is because I don’t want to ask NCL directly. I can’t find any rule on their website prohibiting bringing flowers onboard, but I don’t necessarily want to draw attention to an issue that they might feel the need to say “no” to, if asked.

Good thing no one at NCL has ever heard of Cruise Critic! :p I'm sure if Cruise Critics say something is OK then NCL will have to back you up.

Good thing no one at NCL has ever heard of Cruise Critic! :p I'm sure if Cruise Critics say something is OK then NCL will have to back you up.

keystoneboarder..one of the reasons we say this is because the probability you will get a wrong answer from NCL is high and asking them might trigger a "reminder". The perfect example of this is whether you can bring soda on board. If you call the answer you will probably get is "no". But that is actually the wrong answer. The crew allows this. As they do with flowers. there is a slight chance they may turn you away with them but its very small.

We live in Seattle and have cruised out of here several times. Each and every cruise there are a number of people who have beautiful, large bouquets of flowers that I'm sure came from the Pike Place Market boarding the ship, so I think you're pretty safe.

As for the flowers from the market, they are gorgeous and inexpensive!

Have fun!

"Thank you, planma’am, for your thoughtful reply. The flowers will be a surprise for my MIL, who has never cruised before. From your signature, it looks like you enjoyed cruising to Alaska enough to repeat it a couple of times … we’re hoping for smooth seas."

Yes, SB007, we love Alaska! We have done Sawyer Glacier itinerary once and the Glacier Bay itinerary twice. After our 3rd. Alaskan cruise, we decided to try something different. So we went to the Mexican Riviera in the heart of the cold winter here, and are planning to go to the Western Caribbean during the cold in January.

But I find I'm longing to return to Alaska. I looked through my pictures last weekend, and am bit by the Alaska bug again. That's why I said wish I was going with you!

I know you and your mom will thoroughly enjoy the cruise; please post pictures and a review when you return. All I can do for the time being is visit vicariously through other's reviews! :(

Also if you want to make things a bit more convenient and not have to shop for flowers, carry them with your bags, etc you can order (at least a week in advance) nice roses or arrangements through NCL at quite reasonable prices. I looked up the link for you:

http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/bon-voyage-gifts

In many cities I could buy three, four or five dozen roses in my choice of colors for less than the price of one dozen reds on Bon Voyage. Or I could pick from an assortment of other floral arrangements, picking the ones that look and smell best to me that day... there are so many more choices than red roses. I do not mind carrying them on...I get lots of envious looks from other passengers. Furthermore, if I am buying flowers for my own reservation, I believe NCL will insist I call my travel agent to place the order, which increases my time and odds of error. Hardly convenient.

In many cities I could buy three, four or five dozen roses in my choice of colors for less than the price of one dozen reds on Bon Voyage. Or I could pick from an assortment of other floral arrangements, picking the ones that look and smell best to me that day... there are so many more choices than red roses. I do not mind carrying them on...I get lots of envious looks from other passengers. Furthermore, if I am buying flowers for my own reservation, I believe NCL will insist I call my travel agent to place the order, which increases my time and odds of error. Hardly convenient.

I agree with most of your points. I did want to point out that the Bon Voyage gifts can be purchased without having to deal with your travel agent. I did it back in January.

I agree with most of your points. I did want to point out that the Bon Voyage gifts can be purchased without having to deal with your travel agent. I did it back in January.

I am glad to hear that. The last time I tried, I waited on hold for NCL only to have NCL rep insist I call my travel agent...so more time on hold. The NCL rep said I could purchase a gift for somebody else, but I had to call my travel agent if I wanted a gift for my own reservation number. Maybe NCL has changed the rules (hope so). Or maybe you and I got different reps at the call center. I admit when I use a travel agent it is only for the TA OBC or group rates; I'd much rather manage my own reservation. So, I totally accept by making the reservation through a TA, I am the one introducing the middleman in these matters. If only I could always get the best deal by booking direct (are you listening, NCL?)

Thanks!

Wow, I found these response quite confusing because my daughter got married on the NCL Sun and they told her she could NOT bring fresh flower bouquets onboard. We had to use silk flowers. I wonder what the difference is?

Wow, I found these response quite confusing because my daughter got married on the NCL Sun and they told her she could NOT bring fresh flower bouquets onboard. We had to use silk flowers. I wonder what the difference is?

My 'gut feeling' to that is the possibility she asked about bringing live floral bouquets onboard for the ceremony, but also mentioned intentions of taking them back off as memorable souvenirs. That would be a big NoNo. Those who want to retain their floral items would need to do so in silk.

I am glad to hear that. The last time I tried, I waited on hold for NCL only to have NCL rep insist I call my travel agent...so more time on hold. The NCL rep said I could purchase a gift for somebody else, but I had to call my travel agent if I wanted a gift for my own reservation number. Maybe NCL has changed the rules (hope so). Or maybe you and I got different reps at the call center. I admit when I use a travel agent it is only for the TA OBC or group rates; I'd much rather manage my own reservation. So, I totally accept by making the reservation through a TA, I am the one introducing the middleman in these matters. If only I could always get the best deal by booking direct (are you listening, NCL?)

I prefer to book mine direct after my last experience as well. As for the Bon Voyage gifts, I didn't call NCL. I downloaded the PDF from the website, filled it out, and emailed it to the groupevents email address. Got billed to my credit card just fine and showed up in my stateroom as expected.

We use to buy flowers in lots of European ports and often in Florida before boarding. Often we would spend as much as $100 on flowers. Sometimes they would last the entire trip, other times not. So we decided to get silk flowers instead. We pack our silk flowers every trip, get vases from our cabin steward and enjoy our colorful boutiques all trip long.

I prefer to book mine direct after my last experience as well. As for the Bon Voyage gifts, I didn't call NCL. I downloaded the PDF from the website, filled it out, and emailed it to the groupevents email address. Got billed to my credit card just fine and showed up in my stateroom as expected.

thanks, I will try that next time I want a Bon Voyage package.

... one of the reasons we say this is because the probability you will get a wrong answer from NCL is high and asking them might trigger a "reminder". The perfect example of this is whether you can bring soda on board. If you call the answer you will probably get is "no". But that is actually the wrong answer. The crew allows this. As they do with flowers. there is a slight chance they may turn you away with them but its very small.

Exactly! Thanks for explaining this better than I could.

My guess is that she asked NCL, in advance, about bringing fresh flowers onboard à thus giving them the opportunity to say “no”. From other posters’ experiences, it sounds like when someone just shows up at the pier with flowers, there is a very good chance that they will not be prevented from bringing them on board.

Archived