question about hilton garden inn newark

we got off freedon last week,booked explorer for march 2013, we are driving from dayton ohio anyone from ohio that has driven is it an ok drive. we will be staying at hilton garden inn on staten island leaving our car there for the 10 days they will shuttle us to the port got for 199.00 sounds good to me has anyone stayed there before. last cruise made us diamond members. we has oasis booked but i am petrified to fly and to far a drive to florida.:p

progress.gif

we got off freedon last week,booked explorer for march 2013, we are driving from dayton ohio anyone from ohio that has driven is it an ok drive. we will be staying at hilton garden inn on staten island leaving our car there for the 10 days they will shuttle us to the port got for 199.00 sounds good to me has anyone stayed there before. last cruise made us diamond members. we has oasis booked but i am petrified to fly and to far a drive to florida.:p

progress.gif

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island last May. It was excellent! The hotel has a very good (and reasonably priced) Italian restaurant, and the complimentary breakfast was very good. If we cruise out of Bayonne again we won't hesitate to stay there.

My DH and I stayed there two years ago. It was great. We drove down from upstate NY the day before. Nice clean hotel and wonderful staff. We had a hot cooked to order breakfast on the day of departure. Not sure if that is included any longer. The parking lot is safe and our car, wheels and all, was there when we returned. Call about three weeks in advance to reserve your shuttle time. A leaving time of 10 AM seems to work out best. Make sure you take the hotel number with you for when you return so you can call the hotel for your pickup. That way you will have contact with the shuttle driver to find out where he gets parked at pickup time. It s a bit hectic with everyone leaving the ship at in a couple of hours. There is a nice restaurant there in the hotel for supper the night before. It is Italian and really good food. We are going again this August on the Explorer and are planning on either using the Hilton Garden or the Hampton Inn for our overnight before the cruise. Both hotels us the same parking area and the same shuttle. Hampton is a bit lower in price. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

By the way, it was pointed out to me, the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island is in NY not NJ. I believer there is another Hilton Garden in Newark, NJ. Make sure you are making reservations at the Staten Island Hilton.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed their last September. It is a nice place, and the shuttle is handy. We took the SI ferry to Manhatten. We had to take a taxi back from the terminal because the shuttle was tied up with military recruits. We were told that we had to make advanced reservations for the shuttles, but I don't know that it made that much of a difference for us. The shuttle to the port was fine. I would stay there again.

Does the Hilton shuttle go to Manhatten?I thought just ot Bayonne.How much would a taxi be from Staten Island to Manhatten and how long a drive is it to Manhatten from Staten Island?

Laura

Does the Hilton shuttle go to Manhatten?I thought just ot Bayonne.How much would a taxi be from Staten Island to Manhatten and how long a drive is it to Manhatten from Staten Island?

Laura

Their shuttle doesn't go to Manhattan. They can take you to the Staten Island Ferry terminal, where you can catch the (free) ferry to lower Manhattan, and then take the subway to where you want to go.

There are few, if any metered (yellow) taxis on Staten Island. I suggest you contact Village Car Service for a price quote. http://www.villagecarservice.net/ . I'm going to make a guess of about $60 to $75 for a car to Manhattan...but to get a meaningful quote from a car service you're going to have to name a specific destination in Manhattan.

Archived