Headed back to St Thomas in 2013

BillOh

Hello all, I just discovered this section of the forum and will do some reading, but I thought I'd introduce myself, tell why I'm here and see what happens before I head off to read. I posted a message in both the St Thomas and St Maarten boards and was referred here.

I took an intro to scuba lesson in 2009 to prepare for a cruise. The class was a well run one in a indoor pool facility here in Ohio. A nice facility and it proved to me that I had at least the minimal ability to give this a go. Our plans changed (paid for daughter's wedding) so when it came time to cruise again I took the class a 2nd time (It was fun,so why not) and I took my wife along, she was hesitant, but did ok in the pool. We didn't have the money to both go through full certifications so went we went to St Thomas last year we took an intro to scuba excursion. Since we both had been through it it was a breeze academically, but my wife couldn't handle the actual work in the open water. However, I had a great time. This is despite the fact that one lady in the excursion couldn't swim at all. The instructor had to tow here along. This really put a damper on things.

Meanwhile my wife as lost interest, but I did two excursions specifically for her, so now its my turn. I'm going to get certified this year to be ready for next year. She will ride along in the boat (pay the fee) and sunbathe.

I enjoyed that particular excursion in St Thomas via Royal Caribbean's excursions and would be happy to go back to that same area in more of a free dive. Our cruise next year is Nassau, St Thomas and St Maartin again. Any feedback to which place would be the best? All opinions, facts, or speculation welcome.

Of those three places, St. Thomas is by far the best. I'm diving the same itinerary in August. I'll be returning to Blue Island Divers, diving with Octupus Diving in St. Martin, and doing the ship's dive in Nassau due to a tight time schedule.

Of those three places, St. Thomas is by far the best. I'm diving the same itinerary in August. I'll be returning to Blue Island Divers, diving with Octupus Diving in St. Martin, and doing the ship's dive in Nassau due to a tight time schedule.

The ships schedule in Nassau is the main reason I haven't thought about diving there. Thanks for the reply.

If his trip is on the same schedule as mine in August, and it sounds like it is, Admiralty won't work out. I wanted to try them, but we get in too late for the morning dives. They wouldn't pick us up until 1 pm and it would be cutting the time way too close to get back to the ship on time. Blue Island Divers is right by the cruise ship pier where the big ships go in and it's less than a 10-minute walk to them. They'll also accommodate both divers and snorklers on the dive boat.

We have used Aqua Marine in St Thomas the last two times in St Thomas. Very friendly group and 6 max divers on the small boat with two DM. They will pick you up at the Port at 9:00 and you will be back by 2. Last dive with them in March other divers had cancelled and my wife and I were the only 2 that were on the boat.

We have used Aqua Marine in St Thomas the last two times in St Thomas. Very friendly group and 6 max divers on the small boat with two DM. They will pick you up at the Port at 9:00 and you will be back by 2. Last dive with them in March other divers had cancelled and my wife and I were the only 2 that were on the boat.

Thanks, I'm looking at their website now. - http://www.diveaquamarine.com/

I just wanted to stop and say hello. I'm from Columbus too. Did you take your classes at Aquatic Adventures? We checked in to it several months ago. My husband would really love to get certified, but I'm a little freaked about it for myself. (I'm perfectly happy with snorkeling) :D I can't imagine getting certified in the swampy looking water in Ohio. Now maybe if it was the clear Caribbean waters...that would be different. :p

Did you see the certifying dives you can do in different countries in the Caribbean? I think you go for like a week and you get your open water certification dives done there. Now that would be a good excuse to go on vacation at the same time and kill two birds with one stone. :D

I just wanted to stop and say hello. I'm from Columbus too. Did you take your classes at Aquatic Adventures? We checked in to it several months ago. My husband would really love to get certified, but I'm a little freaked about it for myself. (I'm perfectly happy with snorkeling) :D I can't imagine getting certified in the swampy looking water in Ohio. Now maybe if it was the clear Caribbean waters...that would be different. :p

Did you see the certifying dives you can do in different countries in the Caribbean? I think you go for like a week and you get your open water certification dives done there. Now that would be a good excuse to go on vacation at the same time and kill two birds with one stone. :D

I know you were responding to BillOh but I have to chime in and say

WOW..there are a few Columbus Ohio peeps here :) (myself included).

I did exactly as you mentioned above. Completed my class / pool work here locally at Central Ohio School of Scuba Diving and did my certification dives while on a cruise. It worked out well for me. And you are right, it gives you a great excuse to book up a cruise (like I would ever need an excuse..LOL).

I know you were responding to BillOh but I have to chime in and say

WOW..there are a few Columbus Ohio peeps here :) (myself included).

I did exactly as you mentioned above. Completed my class / pool work here locally at Central Ohio School of Scuba Diving and did my certification dives while on a cruise. It worked out well for me. And you are right, it gives you a great excuse to book up a cruise (like I would ever need an excuse..LOL).

I know. I've ran in to several Ohioans on here. :D Cow-lumbus...LOL I'm actually in Grove-tucky. (I'm sure you've heard of that). :p

Bill,

Could you take the better half to Coki Beach on St Thomas, sneak off for a shore dive (or two) while she chills out on the beach, and still have it count as “her” excursion?? I wouldn't do it as a REPLACEMENT for a 2 tank boat dive on one of the other islands, but it's a good way to get some more dives under your belt.

Question for the peanut gallery,

How appropriate would Nassau be for a green diver like Bill? It's been way too long since I've been there. I THINK I went with Stuart Cove. I remember tons and tons of sharks, and a wall, both of which might be a little intimidating for a novice.

Mitsugirly,

This is my opinion, and mine only, and I'm sure others will disagree, but I feel that you will be a better diver if you take the classes and certification dives back home with a single instructor. Do you really want to spend your time in the Caribbean in a classroom and doing homework? On your first dives you should be devoting your time to doing whatever the instructor asks, so you really shouldn't be appreciating the sights too much.

Besides the “hazing” aspect of having to learn in a cold murky quarry like us old timers, it gets you used to diving in less than ideal situations. I'm slightly skeptical of divers who have never dove in anything less than 100 ft visibility. I know they are fine when conditions are good, but what happens if conditions are REALLY bad?

The other aspect is that you will appreciate the Caribbean MUCH more after doing your quarry time. :-)

Dennis

Anti,

I totally agree with you. However, as my post stated, my husband wanted to learn to dive. I have no desire to dive. I'm perfectly fine with snorkeling and not going too far off shore (or the boat). :) I was merely stating that they offer trips to Caribbean places (I believe you stay all week) and you get certified with your instructor at the site during the week. I would be back at the hotel and/or beach soaking up the sun and taking in the scenery while the hubby did his thing. :D

Anti,

I totally agree with you. However, as my post stated, my husband wanted to learn to dive. I have no desire to dive. I'm perfectly fine with snorkeling and not going too far off shore (or the boat). :) I was merely stating that they offer trips to Caribbean places (I believe you stay all week) and you get certified with your instructor at the site during the week. I would be back at the hotel and/or beach soaking up the sun and taking in the scenery while the hubby did his thing. :D

Ok. After taking all your classes locally in a pool AND quarry, IMHO doing everything down in the Caribbean with the same instructor is the second best option. I'm sure that after your hubby is certified you will not have to push him very hard to take a vacation or cruise with you “just so he can go diving.”

BTW, before everyone starts jumping on me for the hazing comments... After someone gets enough dives under your belt under a variety of conditions, it doesn't really matter where you learned.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

I have always used Blue Island Diver's when I am in St. Thomas. As previously stated, they come right to the pier where the cruise ships dock and they have a great crew and divemasters. I had one experience where Blue Island diver's boat was out of service so DJ the owner booked me with another operator and it wasn't the same. I am not saying that the other operators are bad, just that Blue Island is my preference.

Smitty

Hello all, I just discovered this section of the forum and will do some reading, but I thought I'd introduce myself, tell why I'm here and see what happens before I head off to read. I posted a message in both the St Thomas and St Maarten boards and was referred here.

I took an intro to scuba lesson in 2009 to prepare for a cruise. The class was a well run one in a indoor pool facility here in Ohio. A nice facility and it proved to me that I had at least the minimal ability to give this a go. Our plans changed (paid for daughter's wedding) so when it came time to cruise again I took the class a 2nd time (It was fun,so why not) and I took my wife along, she was hesitant, but did ok in the pool. We didn't have the money to both go through full certifications so went we went to St Thomas last year we took an intro to scuba excursion. Since we both had been through it it was a breeze academically, but my wife couldn't handle the actual work in the open water. However, I had a great time. This is despite the fact that one lady in the excursion couldn't swim at all. The instructor had to tow here along. This really put a damper on things.

Meanwhile my wife as lost interest, but I did two excursions specifically for her, so now its my turn. I'm going to get certified this year to be ready for next year. She will ride along in the boat (pay the fee) and sunbathe.

I enjoyed that particular excursion in St Thomas via Royal Caribbean's excursions and would be happy to go back to that same area in more of a free dive. Our cruise next year is Nassau, St Thomas and St Maartin again. Any feedback to which place would be the best? All opinions, facts, or speculation welcome.

We have dove in St. Thomas and Nassau. We found both locations to be great diving, however, we would probably rank Nassau a little higher due to the amount of wildlife we saw. We used Stuarts Cove in Nassau but I can't remember the Dive Op in St. Thomas, as we dove with the ship excursion.

• 3 weeks later...
I just wanted to stop and say hello. I'm from Columbus too. Did you take your classes at Aquatic Adventures?

Stopped by there yesterday and paid for my classes, I started the online portion last night, classroom/pool stuff starts in about 10 days, quarry dives after the 2nd week of July.

Speaking as the nondiving wife of a diver and now the mom of two new divers, I loved Coki Beach in St. Thomas. The snorkeling was beautiful since the reef comes up to the shore. Got to see tons of fish. I did my first and probably last dive with Coki Dive Center. The instructor I went out with was awesome. DH got in four dives the day we were there.

The beach wasn't very crowded, there is shade, chairs/umbrellas for rent, food and bathrooms available. She could also look at doing something at Coral World which is right beside Coki Dive Center. Personally I was happy on the beach with a book!

I would second http://www.admiraltydive.com I actually called them today to talk about a some diving on our cruise and he did mention about the possible time issue because he isn't sure if the port time is the local time or Miami time when I dove with them before in Feb the ship arrived on St Thomas time and they picked me up at Crown Bay had a great morning of Diving and was back to ship for a shower and late lunch. I will get with them in December after the ships start the winter itineraries and set things at that time.

Speaking as the nondiving wife of a diver and now the mom of two new divers, I loved Coki Beach in St. Thomas. The snorkeling was beautiful since the reef comes up to the shore. Got to see tons of fish. I did my first and probably last dive with Coki Dive Center. The instructor I went out with was awesome. DH got in four dives the day we were there.

The beach wasn't very crowded, there is shade, chairs/umbrellas for rent, food and bathrooms available. She could also look at doing something at Coral World which is right beside Coki Dive Center. Personally I was happy on the beach with a book!

Thank you Julie, My wife would be happy the same way. I'll check it out.

Archived