CPAP users

Just thought I would post this for all CPAP users.

Just called carnival and you are allowed to bring a 5-8 ft long extension cord, 3 prong 110 volt. You can also purchase 1 gallon of distilled water for the machine for $3.95. This is great as it would not be includedin your carry on allowance. However inform special needs dept first so they can document on your booking that you will be bringing a CPAP.

It also has to be carried on and not checked.

Just called carnival and you are allowed to bring a 5-8 ft long extension cord, 3 prong 110 volt. You can also purchase 1 gallon of distilled water for the machine for $3.95. This is great as it would not be includedin your carry on allowance. However inform special needs dept first so they can document on your booking that you will be bringing a CPAP.

Just off the Pride. Took a 15ft extension cord with no problems.

my hubby also brings an extension cord, he keeps it in his cpap carrying case. He doesnt bother with the distilled water any more. His doctor told him if it is humid enough and he doesnt find his mouth/throat drying out then its not necessary. He leaves the part you fill with water at home.

my hubby also brings an extension cord, he keeps it in his cpap carrying case. He doesnt bother with the distilled water any more. His doctor told him if it is humid enough and he doesnt find his mouth/throat drying out then its not necessary. He leaves the part you fill with water at home.

I carry on cpap and extensions cords also. Never have notified special needs. I also ditched the humidifier years ago. It was more trouble than it was worth.

Thank you for the information.

Hubby took his CPAP machine last summer and put an extension cord in the bag so they would know it was for the machine. Didn't contact special needs dept. and used the water onboard which is filtered. There are many people who use a CPAP machine and take it on cruises so they are used to it.

Been using a CPAP for the past few years and always carry it with me when I travel.

I found a compact power strip (no cord) at Office Depot that I marked for medical use and it also has 2 USB port for recharging my ecig batteries and other items. that with a 12ft household extension cord. and have never had any issue.

I also carry a small battery operated fan that has a AC adapter. Again, no issues.

My husband was a new CPAP user on our Royal Caribbean Monarch cruise, and he asked for an extension cord and was given one with the wrong type of plug so couldn't use it. He did have his own packed in his bag though (thought about bringing it at the last minute so just packed it in the CPAP case) so ended up using that. He asked the room steward for water for it and Royal does (or at least did then) provide a gallon of distilled water free of charge. He felt bad though as he only used about a cup full out of it.

On our last Carnival (Freedom) cruise he didn't bother asking for an extension cord, just had his own packed with the machine. And he just used bottled water and didn't get a gallon of the distilled. He uses distilled at home, but for cruises and overnight stays in hotels, etc. he just uses bottled.

The way the bed was configured (head at the opposite side of the vanity/desk where the outlet is) on the Freedom he did have to use the extension cord and just would unplug it in the morning and then toss it under the bed so it wasn't a tripping hazzard. If the bed was just turned around, an exentsion cord wouldn't even be needed.

Just returned from a 15-day cruise to Hawaii and I took my CPAP machine with me, including a 15-ft extension cord. Had no problems at all. I didn't take any distilled water, as I used the ship's tap water which is already distilled!

:cool:Bill

I used a CPAP for several years (until I lost enough weight to no longer need it) and my uber-skinny husband was diagnosed a few years ago so he'll always need his. We never worried about using distilled water until we heard about this:

Primary amebic meningoencephalitis

I don't know about you, but we don't want to be a statistic (even a rare one)! I'm a big neti pot user due to allergies, and I ALWAYS used tap water. (In fact, I usually use it in the shower.) No longer. Only distilled.

And now only distilled in the CPAP. DH has another sleep disorder, and the medication for that makes his mouth dry. He *has* to use the humidifier.

CPAPing is challenging, but it sure beats a quintuple bypass! (Which my father-in-law had to have at 77 years old, and the cardiologist said undiagnosed sleep apnea was a contributing factor to his heart disease.)

We always take an extension cord in the CPAP bag because hotels often do not have a convenient power outlet. We've never had trouble getting it through security in the cruises we've been on since one of us has been using the device.

Robin

Hubby took his CPAP machine last summer and put an extension cord in the bag so they would know it was for the machine. Didn't contact special needs dept. and used the water onboard which is filtered. There are many people who use a CPAP machine and take it on cruises so they are used to it.

Same with us - dh called his dr. before the first cruise after getting his CPAP - dr. said the way the water is filtered on a ship makes it fine for the machine - no reason to get distilled. I always slip a small surge protector/multi plug thing into the bag (gotta charge batteries for cameras, iPod, iPad and Kindle and not enough time to plug one at a time)

Archived