Previous Princess cruisers trying RCI's Explorer

We've only ever been on one cruise (on Princess) but we LOVED it. We felt like a lot of their activities were a bit mature for us (we're early 30's) so we wanted to try a few other lines before picking our favorite and just booked the Explorer in a Promenade cabin. I have a few concerns though.

We booked through a TA (the big one in the US that you have to pay a fee to be a member of) and it seems as though we can't update our booking online and adjust such things as adding the soda package, prepaying tips, adding OBC, etc. We're a debit only family who prefer to prepay and then get a refund if necessary as opposed to letting them put holds on our debit cards. How can we handle this? Can I call RCI and have them add these things as "gifts" to ourselves as we did on Princess?

Is there a covered outdoor promenade deck like there is on the Crown Princess? We spent a lot of time out there. Since DH is light skinned and sensitive to the sun, we don't tend to log much pool time but like being outside watching the waves go by.

We had anytime dining on Princess but hated how long dinner took. We plan to only go to the MDR for formal nights (and maybe Valentines Day.) Otherwise, we are buffet type people. Should we alert the Maitre d' that we don't plan on dining in the MDR most nights? Do we do this once onboard or is there a way to do it in advance?

Thanks in advance for your input!

We've only ever been on one cruise (on Princess) but we LOVED it. We felt like a lot of their activities were a bit mature for us (we're early 30's) so we wanted to try a few other lines before picking our favorite and just booked the Explorer in a Promenade cabin. I have a few concerns though.

We booked through a TA (the big one in the US that you have to pay a fee to be a member of) and it seems as though we can't update our booking online and adjust such things as adding the soda package, prepaying tips, adding OBC, etc. We're a debit only family who prefer to prepay and then get a refund if necessary as opposed to letting them put holds on our debit cards. How can we handle this? Can I call RCI and have them add these things as "gifts" to ourselves as we did on Princess?You can prepay cash on account but it must be done at guest services onboard, I believe. But they would probably take your Debit Card # as well in case of overcharges.

Is there a covered outdoor promenade deck like there is on the Crown Princess? We spent a lot of time out there. Since DH is light skinned and sensitive to the sun, we don't tend to log much pool time but like being outside watching the waves go by. There are plenty of covered areas both on the pool deck of all pools and on the outside promenade deck 4.

We had anytime dining on Princess but hated how long dinner took. We plan to only go to the MDR for formal nights (and maybe Valentines Day.) Otherwise, we are buffet type people. Should we alert the Maitre d' that we don't plan on dining in the MDR most nights? Do we do this once onboard or is there a way to do it in advance?It would be polite to inform him once onboard, but you do not have to.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hope this answers your questions.

Lots of questions! I love it! Our second cruise was with Princess, then we went back to RCI and stayed. There is much more to do. I can not speak to MTD, as I have always enjoyed traditional dining. But, yes... do tell the maitre d'. That way someone else can sit at that table or the maitre d' can help the others at your table find another location so they aren't alone.

I don't know which TA you are speaking of, but they should be the ones doing OBC, etc. In fact, RCI refers you back to your TA to do these things. You can go on acash basis and charge up to $500 before you have to deposit money in your onboard account. Or, you could just go directly to the purser's desk when you board and make a cash deposit.

You will enjoy your PR cabin. Be sure to watch the parades from your ringside window!

You'll be very happy on RCI. ALso bring long pants so you can go ice skating, and don't miss the ice show.

Join the roll call - there is an active thread for your sail date. I love the outdoor promenade deck 4. It's usually a calm oasis - folks stroll by or play shuffleboard, but it's nothing like the pool deck.

There's a rock climbing wall, ice skating, sports court, minigolf, and inline skating. The fitness center has a giant indoor hot tub (good for sea days in cold weather) and the locker rooms have a sauna, steam room, large showers, and plenty of towels.

Also check out the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Yes, it's sit down table service, but the food is better and fresher than the WJ. They guarantee to get you out of there in 30 min at lunch - the salad bar is wonderful and most of the lunch offerings (unlike the breakfast offerings) are not available in the WJ. IMO the best "free" hamburger is in the MDR at lunch.

Lots of questions! I love it! Our second cruise was with Princess, then we went back to RCI and stayed. There is much more to do. I can not speak to MTD, as I have always enjoyed traditional dining. But, yes... do tell the maitre d'. That way someone else can sit at that table or the maitre d' can help the others at your table find another location so they aren't alone.

I don't know which TA you are speaking of, but they should be the ones doing OBC, etc. In fact, RCI refers you back to your TA to do these things. You can go on acash basis and charge up to $500 before you have to deposit money in your onboard account. Or, you could just go directly to the purser's desk when you board and make a cash deposit.

You will enjoy your PR cabin. Be sure to watch the parades from your ringside window!

You'll be very happy on RCI. ALso bring long pants so you can go ice skating, and don't miss the ice show.

Thanks, actually, we have traditional late dining since I knew we wouldn't be actually dining in the dining room most nights anyway, it didn't make a difference to us to be on a schedule for the few nights we plan to go to the MDR. I really wouldn't even mind it if it didn't take so long. Dinner is a 2-3 hour affair (on princess) and we found ourselves full and ready to go do other things after hour 1. Sitting there and stuffing ourselves out of a perceived obligation seemed tedious. We will be sure to alert them of our plans onboard.

I'm not sure that I like having to go through my TA for all the extras as well but I like that if something goes wrong, the TA is on my side. Last time, I would call once per pay period or so and add $50 to each of our accounts. I guess I'll just have to make these arrangements in as few calls as possible as opposed to calling every few weeks and adding OBC as we can afford it. I don't want to be a pest but I really don't want them putting holds on our debit accounts when I can just give them cash up front. Will they refund excess OBC in cash at the end of the cruise like Princess does?

I think we'll like the PR cabin too. We enjoyed our mini suite on the last one but we used the balcony all of once in 7 days (it was uncovered) and didn't really feel like we needed that much room. (Don't get me wrong, it was nice to have, just not necessary.) We figured that since the promenade is something unique to RCI, we might as well give it a shot. We had talked about an interior :eek: but I think we'll be much happier having spent a little more for a room with a view. I just hope I don't miss the view of the ocean too much.

Also check out the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Yes, it's sit down table service, but the food is better and fresher than the WJ. They guarantee to get you out of there in 30 min at lunch - the salad bar is wonderful and most of the lunch offerings (unlike the breakfast offerings) are not available in the WJ. IMO the best "free" hamburger is in the MDR at lunch.

We generally like room service or a quick "grab and go" type breakfast but it's good to know that lunch is reasonably quick. We may end up trying that! DH is super excited about Johnny Rockets so we'll be paying for burgers at least once or twice.

I know, we must sound totally weird but we are very much "eat-to-live" type people as opposed to those who live to eat.

Shaded outside areas:

Deck 4 (outside promenade) under where the lifeboats hang. Shaded and great place to relax, nap or read a book. On Deck 11 (pool deck, buffet deck) there is shaded seating all along the main pool area on both sides of the ship as well as the Solarium adult only pool area on both sides of the ship. I spend most of my time either on Deck 4 outside or up in the Solarium.

Shaded outside areas:

Deck 4 (outside promenade) under where the lifeboats hang. Shaded and great place to relax, nap or read a book. On Deck 11 (pool deck, buffet deck) there is shaded seating all along the main pool area on both sides of the ship as well as the Solarium adult only pool area on both sides of the ship. I spend most of my time either on Deck 4 outside or up in the Solarium.

Deck 4 it is, then! We loved hanging out under the lifeboats. Perfect, quiet outside area away from the chaos of the pools.

Thanks, actually, we have traditional late dining since I knew we wouldn't be actually dining in the dining room most nights anyway, it didn't make a difference to us to be on a schedule for the few nights we plan to go to the MDR. I really wouldn't even mind it if it didn't take so long. Dinner is a 2-3 hour affair (on princess) and we found ourselves full and ready to go do other things after hour 1. Sitting there and stuffing ourselves out of a perceived obligation seemed tedious. We will be sure to alert them of our plans onboard.

I'm not sure that I like having to go through my TA for all the extras as well but I like that if something goes wrong, the TA is on my side. Last time, I would call once per pay period or so and add $50 to each of our accounts. I guess I'll just have to make these arrangements in as few calls as possible as opposed to calling every few weeks and adding OBC as we can afford it. I don't want to be a pest but I really don't want them putting holds on our debit accounts when I can just give them cash up front. Will they refund excess OBC in cash at the end of the cruise like Princess does?

I think we'll like the PR cabin too. We enjoyed our mini suite on the last one but we used the balcony all of once in 7 days (it was uncovered) and didn't really feel like we needed that much room. (Don't get me wrong, it was nice to have, just not necessary.) We figured that since the promenade is something unique to RCI, we might as well give it a shot. We had talked about an interior :eek: but I think we'll be much happier having spent a little more for a room with a view. I just hope I don't miss the view of the ocean too much.

The easiest way to get obc is to call and purchase it for yourself, 1-800-722-5443, if you secure your onboard account with a debit or credit card, any unused OBC will be refunded to that card, or you can leave it as a cash account and cash out on the last night, the only problem with that is that once cashed out, the account is closed and no further charges can be made

The early seating in the MDR won't take anywhere near as long--they've got to get you out and get everything set for the late seating. You're not the first to mention the long dinners in the formal dining room on Princess...RCI is not nearly as drawn out.

Archived