Vancouver Skytrain Question

Hello! We will be flying into YVR the day before our cruise, and will be staying at a hotel at the Burrard Station (Hyatt Regency Vancouver). I see that the Skytrain Canada line does not go to Burrard, so what is the easiest way to get to the Burrard Station from the airport?

If we have to change trains/lines, do we have to purchase new tickets each time we board?

Thank you for any words of advice!

Hello! We will be flying into YVR the day before our cruise, and will be staying at a hotel at the Burrard Station (Hyatt Regency Vancouver). I see that the Skytrain Canada line does not go to Burrard, so what is the easiest way to get to the Burrard Station from the airport?

If we have to change trains/lines, do we have to purchase new tickets each time we board?

Just get off Canada Line at "VANCOUVER CITY CENTRE", your hotel is just a few blocks west of there along Georgia street. As for the rebuying tickets, Each ticket is good for 90 mins on Skytrain, buses & seabus so no need to rebuy if you change buses or subway lines.

If you get off at the Vancouver Centre station of the Canada Line and turn left on West Georgia St., the Hyatt Regency is 3 blocks to the west and then about 1/2 block to the right on Burrard St., it is a very level walk.

Alternatively to the suggestions above, if you don't feel like walking the couple of blocks from the Vancouver City Centre stop (especially if it is raining), you can transfer trains either at this stop or at Waterfront Station. Take the Expo or Millenium line to Burrard Station. Take the elevator up to street level and cross the street. You are at the hotel. Enjoy!

BTW, you don't need new tickets unless you have exceeded the 90 minutes they are good for. You could also purchase a day pass which will allow you on and off as much as you want but I guess that depends on what time you arrive in town.

BTW, you don't need new tickets unless you have exceeded the 90 minutes they are good for. You could also purchase a day pass which will allow you on and off as much as you want but I guess that depends on what time you arrive in town.

How much does a Day Pass cost?

We arrive very early (8:30am) and cannot check into our hotel until afternoon.

Also, what hours does the SkyTrain run to, and is the Day Pass good until closing?

Any suggestions for what we should do to "kill time" while we are there?

A day pass costs $9, they can not be purchased at one of the fare machines, you would have to purchase them at the Pharmasave or the 7-11 at the airport. The Canada Line and SkyTrain run from shortly after 5 am until just after midnight. However you really wont see much of the city from either line. I would be inclined to take my luggage to the hotel and leave it with the bell desk then head down to Waterfront station and take the SeaBus across the harbour to Lonsdale Quay and explore over there and then come back, then perhaps take a bus to Stanley Park, perhaps then a bus to Granville Island, all can be done on your day pass.

How much does a Day Pass cost?

We arrive very early (8:30am) and cannot check into our hotel until afternoon.

Also, what hours does the SkyTrain run to, and is the Day Pass good until closing?

Any suggestions for what we should do to "kill time" while we are there?

Day Passes are $9, and at the airport only available at the 7-11 or Pharmasave (which are both pre-security so no issues). The day pass is good on all Skytrain, buses and Seabus (see http://translink.ca/ for full route maps) until the end of service for that day (typically 2am, plus there are night buses).

I would recommend going straight to your hotel straight away. If you can't check in, they'll still hold your luggage until you do check in later; and then you can go explore without having to deal with dragging your belongings.

As for Tweedy's suggestion of changing trains, I don't believe it's worth it, versus just walking from City Centre. The change of trains will involve 2 blocks of walking (at Waterfront or City Centre/Granville) in order to turn a 3½ block walk into a 1 block walk.

The Pharmasave and the 7-11 at the airport are each found on the domestic side of the terminal, with Pharmasave being located on level 1 the Arrivals level and 7-11 on level 2 the Departures level, both are outside security.

Scott - while I will agree that changing trains probably isn't worth the hassle - Tweedy did preface it with a reference that if it raining - which it does do on occasion - that it might be an option - so from the airport to your hotel without needing an umbrella sounds like a winner to me.

Cheers

Dennis

Alternatively to the suggestions above, if you don't feel like walking the couple of blocks from the Vancouver City Centre stop (especially if it is raining), you can transfer trains either at this stop or at Waterfront Station. Take the Expo or Millenium line to Burrard Station. Take the elevator up to street level and cross the street. You are at the hotel. Enjoy!

How much does the 90 minute ticket cost?

:)

Depends upon how zones you cross but from YVR to Downtown it is two zones and the cost is $3.75 to which you must add a $5 convenience fee from YVR. A single zone fare is $2.50 but there are some discounts so I will attach a link for your convenience. If you thought you would be using transit a lot during your stay a 10 ticket booklet is available at the Pharmasave and 7-11 at the airport and with those tickets you do not need to add the $5 airport convenience fee....however simply for a ride downtown the booklets make no economic sense.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes.aspx

Depends upon how zones you cross but from YVR to Downtown it is two zones and the cost is $3.75 to which you must add a $5 convenience fee from YVR. A single zone fare is $2.50 but there are some discounts so I will attach a link for your convenience. If you thought you would be using transit a lot during your stay a 10 ticket booklet is available at the Pharmasave and 7-11 at the airport and with those tickets you do not need to add the $5 airport convenience fee....however simply for a ride downtown the booklets make no economic sense.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes.aspx

Thanks!

From the airport $8.75 (incl $5 airport surcharge) for a two zone, from anywhere else it's only $3.75 for two zone ($7.50/2.50 evenings/weekends) To save some money, buy a book of 10 two-zone tickets at the 7-11 or Pharmasave in the airport for $31.50 or a day pass for $9.

Archived