Need summer men's fragrance

OH, this is frustrating. I thought I had finally found my olfactory muse in Gucci Guilty Pour Homme, but I went to the Sephora today and tried it on my skin, no dice. On the card, it smells almost exactly like the magazine, after about a 1.5 hour drydown, lol... seriously, I think this is the slowest "drying" frag I have ever encountered. I had high hopes too, as other Gucci colognes usually smell great on me - the Gucci Pour Homme (original) is my "goto" fall & winter fragrance, and Gucci Envy is... well, let's just say that's for "date nights". ;)

On paper, I love the Guilty - Mandarin, Bergamot, a peppery spice, and an underlying base of Sandalwood - the perfect blend of citrus and heat, but still with enough "manly" in it, and no hint of "Guido" like an Acqua di Gio...

Alas, on my skin, it tends to dry down into something altogether much more underwhelming - a powdery mixture that almost bespeaks of bubble gum, or maybe artifically flavored watermelon candy.

Sigh...

So, I am back to the drawing board - looking for something, as above, citrusy, spicy, manly, but without being musky anachronistic Old Spice Man, nor so in-your-face as to come off like a d-bag...

Any suggestions? Others I have tried are the "Eau de' Orange" or whatever by Hermes, and Clean Men, but they are not right on me either. Even smelled Clean Men Shower Fresh today, but I'm not sure why I wouldn't just buy Irish Spring instead... and it's almost coming down to that...

Just keep trying different things.....I have a chemistry that affects scents.....how something smells on others, or a "card", or out of the bottle isn't what it ends up smelling like on me! Trial and error!

• 2 weeks later...
Jean Paul Gaultier is the best men's fragrance EVER!:D

My Fiancee seconds this.

For Sandalwood I like Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble or Art of Shaving Sandalwood, Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shave Cream and Aftershave Balms are awesome as well.

Some other ones she likes on me:

Clubman Pinaud Aftershave with Pennhaligon's Raquets EDT

Davidoff Cool Water

I like Burberry Brit For Men for summer - light-ish, but not too sweet; manly but not too musky.

I use the women's version in summer, Chanel No. 5 in winter. I like a fragrance that sticks around all day.

Several years ago I went to buy my hubby cologne for father's day. I went into Dillards and ask the lady to bring out their top 5 selling colognes. Then I picked from there. I ended up picking up Armani Code Black. (he still wears this one). Just a thought to go to the store and ask for their top sellers and see if you like them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived