taxi fare from miami international airport to POM

Take a taxi like a native.

Once he gets underway, ask him "how's the traffic...are we better off taking the 112 or the 836?"

Under no circumstances should he be on surface streets near the airport unless there is some catastrophe on the highways.

I read another thread where some taxi around the POM will not take the most direct route to increase fare.

Take a taxi like a native.

Once he gets underway, ask him "how's the traffic...are we better off taking the 112 or the 836?" .

That's an interesting angle, but me thinks a native could bluff better than me!! ;) I think the question was, is it typical for the taxies to take 'the long way' in order to boost the fares?? The Miami-Dade county taxi authority states that there is a flat rate MIA to POM ($24), but is it true in reverse, or are they metered from POM to MIA??

That's an interesting angle, but me thinks a native could bluff better than me!! ;) I think the question was, is it typical for the taxies to take 'the long way' in order to boost the fares?? The Miami-Dade county taxi authority states that there is a flat rate MIA to POM ($24), but is it true in reverse, or are they metered from POM to MIA??

Same $24 flat fare from POM to MIA. Mid-morning cabs almost always take FL-112 (Airport Expressway).

I'm under the impression it doesn't happen often, but just last week I was chatting up a traveler who told me the route he took from the airport to downtown and he paid $45, which is a bit higher than the $30+ I would have expected for the time of day with traffic.

I hope if you mention some highways he would think you are familiar with the city.

You can always ask about how much it is before you get in, so you have an estimate. Any number higher than $35 is suspect.

The flat rate from POM to MIA is $24 before tip.

There is no flat rate to hotels I'm sad to say.

Thanks for the info.... I find it strange though that a business person coming into the city for 3-4-5 days , spending a few hundred$$$ in the city would have to pay more to get downtown than a tourist who got off the same plane and went to the port (little further?) - never dropping a dime in the city coffers. Gotta love gov't don't you?? Not complaining mind you!! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Same $24 flat fare from POM to MIA. Mid-morning cabs almost always take FL-112 (Airport Expressway).

Does the $24 flat fare to POM include the Miami Airport Rental Car Center or do you have to leave from the actual airport?

And I assume the van taxis are the same price as the regular ones?

Thanks,

IC

Does the $24 flat fare to POM include the Miami Airport Rental Car Center or do you have to leave from the actual airport?

And I assume the van taxis are the same price as the regular ones?

Thanks,

IC

Vans and SUV style cabs are the same price as the regular sedan cabs. I beleive the flat rate fare only applies if you leave from the airport, not the nearby car rental center -- but the difference on the meter should only be a couple of buck$.

Good luck! :)

Archived