I'm surprised summer is not a 'peak' season?

The Freedom itinerary in June lists Carnival as the ONLY cruise in port the day we're in St. Thomas. A few years ago on DCL, we were the only ship in St. Maarten. I can see how cruises are really popular winter mos. (It was great to get away from cold weather in January.) However, I thought there would be even more people wanting to cruise during summer (with all the choices of beaches.)

The Freedom itinerary in June lists Carnival as the ONLY cruise in port the day we're in St. Thomas. A few years ago on DCL, we were the only ship in St. Maarten. I can see how cruises are really popular winter mos. (It was great to get away from cold weather in January.) However, I thought there would be even more people wanting to cruise during summer (with all the choices of beaches.)

the vast majority of ships are in Alaska and the Med where they can get a higher per diem.

In the winter most of the ships are back in the Caribbean because there aren't a lot of other places they can go.

Bill

prices in July are sky high when I have looked..this is not Peak Hurricane Season and as you get into end of August into October it falls off price wise...that is more prime hurricane season though...

prices in July are sky high when I have looked..this is not Peak Hurricane Season and as you get into end of August into October it falls off price wise...that is more prime hurricane season though...

not many ships in the Caribbean and kids are out of school so the prices are high.

Once the kids go back to school in late August, families can't cruise, hurricane season so prices take a nosedive to fill the ships.

Bill

As someone who grew up in the Caribbean, I have ZERO desire to cruise to that region during the summer months. Hot, humid, and uncomfortable.

With that said, summer Caribbean cruises do charge Peak Season prices since that's usually the only time of year when most families with school-aged kids can travel.

Many cruise lines, like Carnival, will impose a "Maximum Occupancy Restriction" (meaning that ships will sail with every single bunk filled) during the summer months in order to increase revenue even further. The result? Paying more to sail on a ship thats filled to capacity sailing to a destination that's oppresively hot....NO THANKS.

not many ships in the Caribbean and kids are out of school so the prices are high.

Once the kids go back to school in late August, families can't cruise, hurricane season so prices take a nosedive to fill the ships.

Bill

This is why I cruise over Labor Day week. The kids are back in school, I have to use one less vacation day and the rates are great!

This is our first cruise in summer peak price season--prices are high, rooms are restricted to attain peak occupancy, and not much of a chance for a price reduction. But if you cruise with kids, you pay the price of peak season. :)

Archived