Some "In-Suite Hosting" Questions - Queens Grill.

T5LHR

The Butlers fall out all over themselves to do these hosting duties. Just take a few moments the day before or early in the day of the hosting and explain what you need to make the get together great and they will get it together for you. If you like, they will offer to extend invites to the Captain and or other senior staff who may if able drop in to wish the birthday person well.

The Butler service is great and they make it a point to try and do special things for each guest they serve.

Brilliant...! Thank you so much for the information... I will have a chat... :)

For our soiree I asked our butler to provide a cheese and biscuit platter and a fruit platter as well as the extra canapes, and that wasn't a problem. She also supplied napkins and table cloths (they may have been sheets, but worked well), and brought an extra ice bucket as our regular one had champagne bottles in it.

Enjoy yourself!

I was intrigued by the 'she' part of this, and wanted to find out whether a female butler was just referred to as a butler or by some other name

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090728112319AA0Ee5q

sort of wish I hadn't really, as the first answer seemed reasonable and then they got progressively worse :eek: the moral of the story is it can be hard to tell the informed from the ill-informed.

Let's not even get into what happened when I went on to try and find out whether a male can be a maid :eek:

I was intrigued by the 'she' part of this, and wanted to find out whether a female butler was just referred to as a butler or by some other name

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090728112319AA0Ee5q

sort of wish I hadn't really, as the first answer seemed reasonable and then they got progressively worse :eek: the moral of the story is it can be hard to tell the informed from the ill-informed.

Let's not even get into what happened when I went on to try and find out whether a male can be a maid :eek:

The butler for my cabin on QV was a female. She was great and introduced herself as the Butler and there was a guy who was the Assistant Butler. She said there were only a few female butlers in the Cunard line ships

The butler for my cabin on QV was a female. She was great and introduced herself as the Butler and there was a guy who was the Assistant Butler. She said there were only a few female butlers in the Cunard line ships

For myself I must confess

I'd prefer a butleress.

For those touches far more subtler

Than those provided by a butler.

SS

We had Lily as our butler on QM2. She was outstanding.

Well Keith, we had Lily too, but didn't think much of her (oh dear, that sounds terribly personal!). She didn't seem too interested in doing anything at all! Certainly didn't offer to unpack or anything :(

Well Keith, we had Lily too, but didn't think much of her (oh dear, that sounds terribly personal!). She didn't seem too interested in doing anything at all! Certainly didn't offer to unpack or anything :(

I was informed that she has left the ship for good. Perhaps you got her towards the end of her employment?

M-AR

We had Emelia (from Poland) as our butler, THREE times in a row!

She was told that we were returning on our last occasion, and requested that she looked after us.

Extremely efficient, and very professional.

She met us on arrival, and informed us that she had everything already organised, including our preferred pillows, our hard and soft drinks and beers, our early morning tea & coffee at 0730 hrs (with Sonya's biscuits). There was nothing more to request.

Prior to our little soiree, she asked if it was true that Mr Hamilton & Kelly would be amongst our guests. We confirmed (and so was Andrea, ex QE2 and Jenny Murphy ex Golden Lion).

Then all hell broke loose!

Emelia, her assistant and her supervisor, all descended on our room. It was absolutely immaculate!

When the festivities began, her indoors offered Jenny & Andrea a wee drink. After some debate, and partly because "Mr Hamilton" (David) was coming, they both decided to stick to soft drinks.

Emelia stayed to help look after our guests.

Her indoors then decided Emelia should be rewarded and asked her to come with her to speak to "Mr Hamilton", and as she gave Emilia a glass of the "Widow", she said to David; "I'm sure that you won't object to our wonderful butler joining us for a glass of bubbly"

Mr Hamilton was now backed into a corner, and started to reply, Emelia gave us a "Nostrovia!" and the contents vanished in a flash. Fabulous!

I was informed that she has left the ship for good. Perhaps you got her towards the end of her employment?

M-AR

Sorry to hear you had problems with her. We had her in late Nov.2010. She asked what could she do to make our voyage more special. She did say the unpack service was available, but we did that ourselves. I asked for Caviar to be included in our daily Canapes.Was it ever! She got clothes mended quickly when some buttons got loose.Room service was quick & very efficent. The booze list didn't include some of my partner's favorite spirits, but Lily got them no questions asked. So I'd say she was not difficult at all(for us anyway)We met others who loved her as well. One couple had a different butler had real issues. I always wonder why we never seem to have issues with staff. We're in the food/hospitality industry, so we seem to get great service. I guess we take care of our own?

We had her mid Nov 2010-prob the trip before you, an EB TA crossing....maybe it was because we just didn't utilise her that we didn't see the best of her....oh, and we too are/were in the service industry so we are always careful to treat as we would like to be treated ourselves!

If there is time on your cruise, have the butler arrange afternoon tea too. Also a unique souvenir is having invitations printed to distribute to the cocktail party's invited guests.

• 2 weeks later...
We hosted two cocktail parties in our Queen's Grill Suite last year aboard the Queen Victoria. On both occasions I informed our butler how many people would attend and he provided sufficient glasses, ice, and canapes for the occasion. He also asked if he was needed to pour, which he did so ever graciously.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy the comfort of traveling Queen's Grill on Cunard.

Archived