Skagway options

usaspire

Hi everyone!!

I am going in a group of 4 people and am interested in knowing more about what to do in Skagway. I see that many have recommended the yukon train ride.

Besides that what else can we do in or around Skagway. Our ship is docked from 7am-8:30pm. Can we rent a car and go somewhere else - which is a must see place?

Thank you in advance

I would also recommend the train ride. We just returned from our cruise and the train was a highlight. We had beautiful weather and we really enjoyed the narration. We rode the train up and took a bus back down. The scenery on the train was far better than the scenery on the bus.

Anyone interested in joining us for a guided 3-4 hour “Backroads with Becky” tour at Skagway?

The cost is $315 for the group in a SUV departing around 2 pm on June 25th from the cruise ship dock.

We would travel the Klondike Highway to the top of the White Pass Summit, the Alaska sign, and beyond to alpine vistas, climbing approximately 3,292 feet in 15 miles. This includes scenic photo stops, a chance to build an Inukshuk, a city tour, a visit to the Gold Rush Cemetery, with the option of a hike to Lower Reid Falls. We may also have the option of visiting a hillside art studio, where local artists create art from ivory

Hi everyone!!

I am going in a group of 4 people and am interested in knowing more about what to do in Skagway. I see that many have recommended the yukon train ride.

Besides that what else can we do in or around Skagway. Our ship is docked from 7am-8:30pm. Can we rent a car and go somewhere else - which is a must see place?

Thank you in advance

We rented a car, drove into the Yukon, and went horseback riding. Along the way we stopped at Emerald Lake & Carcross. It was in the 40s in Skagway and rainy when we left, crossed the mountians where it was 34 degrees with 8 foot snow banks, and ended up with 70 degree weather in the Yukon - go figure! We had a great time, but I know lots of people really enjoy the train. With 4 people though, a car is a lot cheaper than 4 train tickets, if that's part of the equation. On the other hand, the train is a UNESCO International Civil Engineering Landmark, so it's pretty special. At this point, I'm just glad we're going salmon fishing in Skagway so I don't have to decide!

L.J.

When in doubt ... google a town's visitor information site to find ideas.

http://skagway.com/

Many people rent a car and parallel the route taken by the train. You can drive to the Yukon and to Emerald Lake a very popular destination. (Check out the passport requirements and other regs). The route is outlined in this link:

http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/klondikehwy2.html

Anyone interested in joining us for a guided 3-4 hour “Backroads with Becky” tour at Skagway?

The cost is $315 for the group in a SUV departing around 2 pm on June 25th from the cruise ship dock.

We would travel the Klondike Highway to the top of the White Pass Summit, the Alaska sign, and beyond to alpine vistas, climbing approximately 3,292 feet in 15 miles. This includes scenic photo stops, a chance to build an Inukshuk, a city tour, a visit to the Gold Rush Cemetery, with the option of a hike to Lower Reid Falls. We may also have the option of visiting a hillside art studio, where local artists create art from ivory

Ditto only our date is June 9th! (you can bring 3 or 4 people for $200! leaves Skagway at 7:00 going to Emerald lake & back - bring your passport)

Archived