gty or assigned cabin

piggybabymcpig

I booked a cruise in December on the Caribbean Princess with a guaranteed cabin. I saw the sale posted yesterday and phoned Princess. They cancelled my old booking and made a new booking so I could get the cheaper rate and OBC. This time I was assigned a cabin with availability for upgrades. Does it make a difference?

Do you mean the chance of an upgrade? If so, it makes no difference whether you have an assigned cabin or a guarentee

Opinions vary, but then, opinions on anything re: upgrades vary, since they're a constant puzzlement. I'm still kicking myself for booking an assigned cabin on the Royal rather than a guarantee, so I'm hoping you're right.

BTW, one significant difference in the OP's bookings may be that the flash sale deposit is nonrefundable - even before final payment - whereas his initial deposit might have been refundable. And December's still a fair ways off.

Do you mean the chance of an upgrade? If so, it makes no difference whether you have an assigned cabin or a guarentee

On a majority of the cruises a guarentee room makes sense but if the cruise is a TA or is out in open seas for a length of time, you may want to pick your room.

I'm doing a TA and chose midship with the no upgrade option. I don't want to take a chance on an upgraded forward room if the seas got rough. :)

Alaska and Pacific coastal can get rough in the early spring and autumn as well as the California to Hawaii.

This time I was assigned a cabin with availability for upgrades. Does it make a difference?
Little difference. ALL bookings are "Will accept an upgrade" by default so that means that all cabins are eligible, whether you book an assigned or GTY cabin. Some people have their bookings marked "No upgrade." What this means is that you and most of the other passengers are hoping for an upgrade. The majority of upgrades are the exact same cabin in a different location. Not many are "mega" upgrades from an outside to balcony, balcony to mini-suite, etc.

Little difference. ALL bookings are "Will accept an upgrade" by default so that means that all cabins are eligible, whether you book an assigned or GTY cabin. Some people have their bookings marked "No upgrade." What this means is that you and most of the other passengers are hoping for an upgrade. The majority of upgrades are the exact same cabin in a different location. Not many are "mega" upgrades from an outside to balcony, balcony to mini-suite, etc.

But they do exist. We booked a GTY Balcony on the Ruby for our Med cruise at the lowest price after researching the deck plans and found out that there were only 4 cabins with that designation (BG) I assumed that there would be an upgrade of some sort and we would be happy with almost any balcony anyway. 3 upgrades later we are now in a Mini-suite and have had a price reduction of $1300 so far!

Will I book another GTY again? Definitely!!

This is an interesting discussion for us at the moment. We were offered a balcony or mini-suite guarantee on Island Princess for the same price. After discussing it, we're afraid of getting an obstructed view balcony or a mini-suite with no balcony. My DH called back & asked for an assigned non-obstructed view balcony cabin. It's $240 more than the guarantee price in either category, but we're afraid to take a chance. Did we make a bad decision?

This is an interesting discussion for us at the moment. We were offered a balcony or mini-suite guarantee on Island Princess for the same price. After discussing it, we're afraid of getting an obstructed view balcony or a mini-suite with no balcony. My DH called back & asked for an assigned non-obstructed view balcony cabin. It's $240 more than the guarantee price in either category, but we're afraid to take a chance. Did we make a bad decision?

If you are happy with the cabin and comfortable with the price, relax, you made a good decision. Enjoy your cruise!

If you are happy with the cabin and comfortable with the price, relax, you made a good decision. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the reply. We've never booked a guarantee, & are concerned about taking a chance. I doubt most people would book a mini-suite w/o a balcony, so the chance of being assigned one is pretty high.

Archived