Are gratuities compulsory?

I was reading an online article which stated the P&O Cruises ended the practice of charging compulsory gratuities back in October 2010. Under the change, the previously recommended daily gratuity of $7.50 per passenger would no longer be automatically added to passengers’ onboard accounts.

Is this true? For some reason I was under the impression that a daily charge would be applied to our account.

I was reading an online article which stated the P&O Cruises ended the practice of charging compulsory gratuities back in October 2010. Under the change, the previously recommended daily gratuity of $7.50 per passenger would no longer be automatically added to passengers’ onboard accounts.

Is this true? For some reason I was under the impression that a daily charge would be applied to our account.

I was on the Jewel in April and I asked at the pursers desk and they told me that it was up to me what I tipped and how I did it, I could give it directly to whoever I wished or could request it be added to my account, it is not automatically added like it used to be.

It is definitely true. You may tip individual staff if they have given good service if you wish. They do like you to fill in the "You Made a Difference" forms though as if they get good reports it leads to promotion for them.

It is definitely true. You may tip individual staff if they have given good service if you wish. They do like you to fill in the "You Made a Difference" forms though as if they get good reports it leads to promotion for them.

I forgot to say you can give these forms to the recipients or to the Purser's staff. I give them to both as you can fill in more than one for whomever you like. You can even do one for the Captain! :D :D :D

if you book a suite you will meet the catain or if you are lucky or a secound time cruise you will meet the captain.

but a suite will get you a privite cocktail party with him or her and the his or her officers in there privite lounge.

if you book a suite you will meet the catain or if you are lucky or a secound time cruise you will meet the captain.

but a suite will get you a privite cocktail party with him or her and the his or her officers in there privite lounge.

Whats this got to do with gratuities?

Whats this got to do with gratuities?

we are on a P&O Australia site are we not? and talking about the $7.50 dayly tip, :rolleyes:

if you would have read on here and on P&O facebook and the news P&O Australia do not do the $7.50 per day tipping.:rolleyes:

ps it has to do with post 5

(You can even do one for the Captain!) sandie.

we are on a P&O Australia site are we not? and talking about the $7.50 dayly tip, :rolleyes:

if you would have read on here and on P&O facebook and the news P&O Australia do not do the $7.50 per day tipping.:rolleyes:

I know all that, what i asked was, what does your post #6 have to do with gratuities?

I know all that, what i asked was, what does your post #6 have to do with gratuities?
I will say once again in answer to post 5 by sandie (You can even do one for the Captain)

Fair enough, looking forward to meeting you Oct 2013.:D

that will be great please join the roll call

it will be great to meet a fellow Fantasy cruiser.

computer-22.gif

Actually I understood what thied was saying! it was mentioned in post#5 that you can even fill out a card for the captain so If you meet the captain through a small party or in person you would be more inclined to leave an excelent service card for him than those who did not meet him.

Den

I was the poster who mentioned that you could even write a "You made a difference" card for the Captain. We were told that by the CD. You do not have to meet him to feel that he made a difference. Captain Neil Turnbull was excellent - very informative, funny and always told us what he was considering in the case of missing a port. For this I believe he deserved a card - some Captains do not have much to say.

Yatchet was correct - the other poster's reference to my post was quite unnecessary and had nothing to do with what I was trying to convey. :)

on the Pearl not everyone booking a mini sute got to have a cocktail with the captain....we were in a window cabin and we got an invite with 38 other people to have cocktails with the captain.....p&o should follow princess and invite the top 40 passengers to have a luncheon with the captain

on the Pearl not everyone booking a mini sute got to have a cocktail with the captain....we were in a window cabin and we got an invite with 38 other people to have cocktails with the captain.....p&o should follow princess and invite the top 40 passengers to have a luncheon with the captain

That is wonders full for them, great to see P&O spending around the invites:D

Anyway back to the topic at hand....

Are grats compulsory? The quick answer is no. However, I always leave something special for those that make a difference to my holiday.Sometimes it is a monetary tip and other times it is a card (as Sandielle said) other times I do both for the same person if they made my holiday extra special.

An example of this was the Cabin Steward we had on a cruise with myself and my daughter. Every time we went bak to our cabin and he was around he would try to open the cabin door for us as he knew it was difficult with my daughter's wheelchair as we were not able to book a accessible cabin. This deserved both in my opinion and he got both.

It is totally up to you what you do and is not expected. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

that will be great please join the roll call

it will be great to meet a fellow Fantasy cruiser.

I couldn't have put it better myself if I THIED........"A FELLOW FANTASY CRUISER" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived