How much servers make?

You can roughly calculate it by using the amount they receive in tips daily. They each server between 20 and 24 people at each seating. When you calculate it don't forget to add in the cost of their food, housing, medical and transportation which are part of their compensation package.

They work hard for that money. Don't they do other jobs on the ship when they aren't in the MDR??

Absolutely! They work 10-12 hour days and are on call other times. someone told me once that they had a phone in their cabin but it was only to be called to work. Could not call out on it. Add to that---they are away fron their families for six months at a time and have NO job security. One complaint, argument, etc. can get them canned ASAP. Cabin stewards the same. a staff Captain told us that if their is fight both parties are fired on the spot. Even if one is innocent. Hard life.

I am having a discussion with hubby on how much the servers and everyone make.

I remember seeing a post on this - can anyone tell me where to find it?

Thanks,

What's your income? What do you do and how much do you make?

Absolutely! They work 10-12 hour days and are on call other times. someone told me once that they had a phone in their cabin but it was only to be called to work. Could not call out on it. Add to that---they are away fron their families for six months at a time and have NO job security. One complaint, argument, etc. can get them canned ASAP. Cabin stewards the same. a staff Captain told us that if their is fight both parties are fired on the spot. Even if one is innocent. Hard life.

Just to clarify.... the cabin phones can make out going calls. There is no such thing as a one-way phone to have someone called into work. There are pagers for department heads though. Maybe that's what they were talking about. Crew can call their friends cabin or even make outgoing calls with a calling card (very expensive and is almost never done)... I lived in a crew cabin for 5 years (musician)... Someone must have been having a laugh with you when they told you that... I once told a passenger that the entertainers were picked up by helicopter at night and flown to other ships.... Next day, that person went to the front deck to complain that the entertainers helicopter woke them up and they wanted something done about it.... The purser looked at them like they had 3 heads and had no idea what they were talking about... :D

But yes, you're correct.... It is a tough life and they earn every penny they make. Some people here are beyond cheap with their views of "service"... How bad could a waiter be to not get a few dollars out of you for 3+ meals a day??

I am having a discussion with hubby on how much the servers and everyone make.

I remember seeing a post on this - can anyone tell me where to find it?

Thanks,

It depends on how many people remove tips and say it was because of bad service and the cruisline say OK.Its kind of like the stiff the staff coupon code

With tips understand head stewards and waiters can make as much as 40,000 per year, much more than they could make at home.

I honestly dont think it is nearly that much. That is about the median income for anyone in the US. If folks onboard were making that much money i think you would see a lot more Americans working onboard.

I honestly dont know what the wage is, but i hardly think it is 40k or everyone working onboard wouldnt be from third world countries.

I honestly dont think it is nearly that much. That is about the median income for anyone in the US. If folks onboard were making that much money i think you would see a lot more Americans working onboard.

I honestly dont know what the wage is, but i hardly think it is 40k or everyone working onboard wouldnt be from third world countries.

I just looked on a site I have saved and I know its wrong. I will bet its based on who goes by the tipping guidelines and is subject to change

http://www.cruiseshipjob.net/joblistings/

note that assistant cruise director makes $2600-$2800 and safety officer makes $2600-$3000.Those numbers are all very bad estimates i would bet

It is probably more than that, but if you price it out on a per hour basis it is not like what Americans make per hour, and what American would work 12 - 14 hour days seven days a week for 9 - 10 months at a stretch?

It is probably more than that, but if you price it out on a per hour basis it is not like what Americans make per hour, and what American would work 12 - 14 hour days seven days a week for 9 - 10 months at a stretch?

Yes, the average American worker probably would not.

Yet i work for a airline and we pay barely above minimum wage to start and we have no problems filling the positions as people want the travel perks. So honestly i think if the pay was that good you would still see a few Americans who are hard workers onboard for the money and perks.

The fact that you dont, leads me to believe the pay isnt all that great. Otherwise the entire crew wouldnt be from third world countries.

Yes, the average American worker probably would not.

Yet i work for a airline and we pay barely above minimum wage to start and we have no problems filling the positions as people want the travel perks. So honestly i think if the pay was that good you would still see a few Americans who are hard workers onboard for the money and perks.

The fact that you dont, leads me to believe the pay isnt all that great. Otherwise the entire crew wouldnt be from third world countries.

I wonder what they really have to pay for while onboard working? Im thinking you work hard for a few years ,make tons of tax free money and go home

I think if it was as good as people think it would be full of americans, especially young people who want to see the world for free

I wonder what they really have to pay for while onboard working? Im thinking you work hard for a few years ,make tons of tax free money and go home

I think if it was as good as people think it would be full of americans, especially young people who want to see the world for free

The problem is the long long hours and being away from home for 6-8 months at a time. Most Americans will not do this.

Exactly what I was thinking. If you price it out on $40,000 per year, working 10 months per year on an average of 13 hrs per day, 7 days per week with no days off save for the 2 month vacation.....and being on call when a guest needs something.......Adding to that, being away from home and family and putting up with crap from managers (and sometimes guests, I'm sure) that we might not even consider..........That's roughly $10.25 per hour (most of which is tips, as surely you do not believe that the cruiseline pays that much). It would not be worth it to me and many other Americans to leave home for that long. Add to the fact that many of these people who work in these tipped positions on cruiseships have extended family under their roofs who can care for their children while they're away. How many Americans have aunts and grandparents or one or two generations living under one roof who they support in exchange for childcare for months on end? Not many, I'll bet.

The problem is the long long hours and being away from home for 6-8 months at a time. Most Americans will not do this.

My wife and I would love to rent our homes out and go on a B2B2B2B2B... get food and board,nice weather most of the time,get to see many nice countries and SAVE all of our money LOL

One would think that this would be awesome but I guess the long work hours dont really equal the salary

Apparently you have forgotten about our military to which this is normal. So there are some Americans that will do it.

Dave

Archived