Does Carnival use Meat Glue?

itzgeralyn

We're looking forward to eating in the steakhouse on the Miracle next month..but only if we can determine if they're steaks are true whole cut steaks or if meat glue has been used to "form" steaks. (because we like our steaks rare/med-rare)

If none of you veterans know..perhaps you can direct me to the appropriate department at CCL to ask. tia

Yes, they use Elmers if my memory is correct :eek:

Come on................... reeeeallly ????????

Last month it was pink slime, this month is meat glue. Got to love media sensationalism and those who buy into it. ;)

Amen. The so called "Pink Slime" is actually FTLB (Finely Textured Lean Beef) an FDA approved and regulated product that has been around for many years.

Basically it's beef cuttings that have high fat content, It's impractical to remove the fat by traditional methods, so it's placed in a centurfuge and that separates the lean beef from the fat.

Approved preservatives, including ammonia (which is a long-standing meat preservative and also deemed safe by the FDA).

In this way much lean beef is saved for consumption that otherwise would be discarded.

If it makes my ground beef cheaper......gimme "Pink Slime" :p

Never heard of "Maet Glue" but I strongly suspect it's another attempt by the Media and various "Smarter than everyone else" go-gooders to daemonize a (probably) perfectly safe product.

Amen. The so called "Pink Slime" is actually FTLB (Finely Textured Lean Beef) an FDA approved and regulated product that has been around for many years.

Basically it's beef cuttings that have high fat content, It's impractical to remove the fat by traditional methods, so it's placed in a centurfuge and that separates the lean beef from the fat.

Approved preservatives, including ammonia (which is a long-standing meat preservative and also deemed safe by the FDA).

In this way much lean beef is saved for consumption that otherwise would be discarded.

Never heard of "Maet Glue" but I strongly suspect it's another attempt by the Media and various "Smarter than everyone else" go-gooders to daemonize a (probably) perfectly safe product.

I don't know about perfectly safe. It's banned in Europe, but is a product of France, and obscures the marketplace. You really don't know what you're buying unless you hunt your own, clean it yourself, prepare it and freeze it. We don't do much of that anymore. Heck, most people don't cook anymore. They prepare it from packages. With capitalism it's buyer beware. If it wasn't for the watchdogs we would be in serious trouble. Granted some things are fine but it's a wonder that more people don't stand up. Cancer is growing in numbers. More women are having trouble conceiving without aid. It just makes me shake my head. 100% doesn't mean 100% in the normally natural way. It's an approved formula by scientist and lawyers and capitalist. Jmo based on observations and public facts.

Meat Glue is Transglutaminase. It is used for a lot of things including making yogurt creamier or casing-less sausages. It's become popular with some chefs like Wilie Dufresne who specialize in molecular gastronomy to create some unique dishes like a "pasta" made from shrimp or combo "meats" like a beef and scallop combo.

One concern with meat glue is that it can also be used to glue pieces of meat together and make it look like a filet mignon or other expensive cuts.

It is a natural occurring enzyme and we consume it when we eat many meats or plants. The difference is the quantity and so far it looks like the jury is still out on any health issues. Research on rats has shown no issues, but since it's been in the news I can understand folks being concerned.

You can buy meat glue on Amazon if you want to try it. One caution... It is a fine powder and can get into the air. A mask is recommended because if you breathe the dust it could glue your nostrils shut :eek: I haven't experienced this, but I do know one guy who has claimed to have this happen to him.

We're looking forward to eating in the steakhouse on the Miracle next month..but only if we can determine if they're steaks are true whole cut steaks or if meat glue has been used to "form" steaks. (because we like our steaks rare/med-rare)

If none of you veterans know..perhaps you can direct me to the appropriate department at CCL to ask. tia

thumbnail.aspx?q=4932804850156137&id=333d74e036e16057a278709be7fcaab2Meat glue oh brother

One concern with meat glue is that it can also be used to glue pieces of meat together and make it look like a filet mignon or other expensive cuts.

This poster has it right on.

As always, we have those that like to belittle posters before informing themselves about the topic at hand.

The meat glue is not the problem. The problem is when it is used to form a filet from smaller pieces of meat. The outside of meat is where you start to get bacteria to form. The normal cooking process will kill the bacteria. You take those pieces and glue them together, some of the exterior edges of those meat piece will now be in the center of the so called "filet. Now you just increased the probability of getting sick.

Anyone who knows a steak, will see the difference between filets created by meat glue, and a real cut of steak.

If this stuff is so good why don't they sell 100% pink slime hamburger? All I know is that for a good long while hamburger hasn't tasted right.....and now it does again. I don't care if they still sell it as long as its on the label so I can avoid it.

It’s been around for years and no one cared.

Pink slime and meat glue are two different things.

The next thing will be lettuce glue. Makes you salad more fluffy.

It's hard to care about things that you don't know about. But when people find out about them it sure seems like they DO care. Maybe that's why the industry tries to keep us from finding out?

It's hard to care about things that you don't know about. But when people find out about them it sure seems like they DO care. Maybe that's why the industry tries to keep us from finding out?

it takes some a little longer to realize this, yet will fight till the end to defend the secret they don't know they are protecting.

"i don't know what i haven't heard".

Archived