Vancouver car rental

We will be ending our cruise in Vancouver and spending the day before a late night flight.
We have a reservation to rent from Hertz on Granville St. It says to call them and they will pick you up. I have read here you can take a taxi and they will reimburse but our rental is under $50 so I would not ask them to do that. We will drop off at airport.
Is Hertz easy and convenient (fast)?
Do we need to buy their insurance since we are Americans?
Would Verizon charge me an arm and a leg to call Hertz from the ship?
Any other recommendations are appreciated:).

That office is about 11 blocks from the pier - it would be about a $10.00 taxi fare up to it from the pier.

As it is in the upper end of the downtown core it isn't likely to be as busy as the Avis or Budget ones closer to the port and tourist area.

Cheers

Dennis

[quote name='lvz2cruz']We will be ending our cruise in Vancouver and spending the day before a late night flight.
We have a reservation to rent from Hertz on Granville St. It says to call them and they will pick you up. I have read here you can take a taxi and they will reimburse but our rental is under $50 so I would not ask them to do that. We will drop off at airport.
Any other recommendations are appreciated:).[/QUOTE]

Many credit cards cover the extra insurance. The really important liability insurance is included. I never buy rental car insurance. Whether or not you do is your choice but not strictly necessary. Call Verizon and ask their roaming charge. 1 call can't be that much.

[quote name='lvz2cruz']We will be ending our cruise in Vancouver and spending the day before a late night flight.
Any other recommendations are appreciated:).[/quote]

[LIST]
[*]Hertz are generally very good
[*]It depends on your own personal and/or credit card insurance, you'll need to check with them.
[*]Two arms and a leg, last I checked.
[/LIST]

[SIZE=4]I have found with rare exception, Hertz to be the more expensive of the car companies. Generally it is the premium credit cards that a person pays for has the auto insurance as one of the features so I would want to check if it is one of the features of my card. Another thing to check on is if your own automobile insurer covers you or will cover you with a rental if your car is parked and not being used.[/SIZE]

Archived