Weekhawken Ferry to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

Any folks have experience with this? It looks like a good deal, with $8/day parking, $9 one way ferry fare, and shuttle bus service up 12th Ave. We are a troop of 7 (including 5 18 year olds to help us old foks with luggage) coming from Delaware, so limo service is outrageous. We would have to take 2 cars to total $70/day at the garage. Any (pertinent) suggestions are appreciated.

Alan (and Leslie, Ben, Eb, Nana, Tom, and Ryan)

Any folks have experience with this? It looks like a good deal, with $8/day parking, $9 one way ferry fare, and shuttle bus service up 12th Ave. We are a troop of 7 (including 5 18 year olds to help us old foks with luggage) coming from Delaware, so limo service is outrageous. We would have to take 2 cars to total $70/day at the garage. Any (pertinent) suggestions are appreciated.

Alan (and Leslie, Ben, Eb, Nana, Tom, and Ryan)

When we cruise out of New York or go to New York in general we always stay in Weehawken because it's cheaper. The ferry is super easy. There is an app where you can save a few dollars for buying a group of tickets...I forget how many you have to buy at a time.

The New York Waterways Ferry will drop you off a number of blocks south of the passenger ship terminal. You could take the shuttle, but it might be faster and easier to walk- if it is nice weather. A number of years ago the Hudson River Park Conservatory built a nice bike and walking path along 12th Ave.

Next week we are parking our car at my husband's work - just south of the Ferry and walking to the ship.

It looks like you're doing this on a Sunday, so there's no free shuttle bus service. However, it sounds like an excellent plan for your group. You can always hail a cab, put the "old folks" in it with all the luggage, and let the 18 year olds walk from the ferry to the cruise terminal.

alanandleslie ~

Yes, the ferry is a great way to over to the west side of Manhattan. As others have already mentioned, once you're over there, it's an easy walk straight up 12th Avenue to the piers. We've done it a number of times.

However... If I were you, I would call ahead to double-check the parking situation at Weehawken (Port Imperial) and the cost. There's been some discussion about this previously on CC and in other forums; I'm not certain that the cost will be $8 for overnight parking. I've seen mention elsewhere on the web that overnight parking costs $20; perhaps others here on CC will have personal experience and definitive information.

See http://www.nywaterway.com/ParkingInformation.aspx

Unfortunately, the page doesn't mention overnight parking per se.

and when you enter please remember to tell them you are leaving the car for a week. they will probably tell you to park in a certain area and put something in your car window...as they have been know to tow cars otherwise.

and when you enter please remember to tell them you are leaving the car for a week. they will probably tell you to park in a certain area and put something in your car window...as they have been know to tow cars otherwise.

They were towing cars two weeks ago early Monday morning. Evidently, quite a few people left their cars there over the weekend and didn't tell anyone. Since it is getting warm weather, there are concerts, plays, etc. etc. in NYC and people from NJ/PA are leaving their cars in the ferry terminal for cheapo parking. NO ROOM on Monday morning for the commuters who use the lot daily.

One of my drivers pulled in there to take a break. They were going nuts looking for the commuter parking stickers and the cars that didn't have commuter stickers were getting towed. The ferry was designed for COMMUTER parking, not long term, overnight parking.

Be aware!!!

i emailed and posted the response from the Port Imperaile Ferry before and what I said above was their official response.

here is the response from 2009!

You can come to the Weehawken and settle something with the ticket agents, it should be possible as long as they know its your car and how many days

Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:15 AM

To: customerservice

Subject: parking at Weehawken for a cruise in Manhattan

Can I park my car at Weehawken take the ferry to Manhattan and leave my car for ten days and nights and then take the ferry back? I have heard that they sometimes tow overnight long term parked cars.

It looks like you're doing this on a Sunday, so there's no free shuttle bus service. However, it sounds like an excellent plan for your group. You can always hail a cab, put the "old folks" in it with all the luggage, and let the 18 year olds walk from the ferry to the cruise terminal.

The NY Waterways buses run every day. I just took one on Sunday.

They were towing cars two weeks ago early Monday morning. Evidently, quite a few people left their cars there over the weekend and didn't tell anyone. Since it is getting warm weather, there are concerts, plays, etc. etc. in NYC and people from NJ/PA are leaving their cars in the ferry terminal for cheapo parking. NO ROOM on Monday morning for the commuters who use the lot daily.

One of my drivers pulled in there to take a break. They were going nuts looking for the commuter parking stickers and the cars that didn't have commuter stickers were getting towed. The ferry was designed for COMMUTER parking, not long term, overnight parking.

Be aware!!!

There are different lots depending on your sticker.

By the way Port Imperial is in the process of building a large hotel at the ferry for business and out of town visitors who want to stay on the Hudson at the Ferry. I think in the very very near future there will be more hotels in that areamthatwill let you leave your cars for cruising. I am checking on it and will report back a soon as I have info.

The NY Waterways buses run every day. I just took one on Sunday.

Please check the schedules to see if you see what I see. The bus that goes up 12th Ave doesn't seem to run on the weekend, but the midtown bus routes do run.

Please check the schedules to see if you see what I see. The bus that goes up 12th Ave doesn't seem to run on the weekend, but the midtown bus routes do run.

I do not look at the schedule I take the ferry 4 or 5 times a week including Sunday and the buses always run the same schedule. This is where I live this is where I work. That being said I would never recommend the bus after the ferry to get to the port anyway, it is also not an easy walk regardless of the "new" walkways, there are always taxis there and even if more than one is needed the price is minimal. I have been saying that on these boards forever.

I live in NJ, whenever we take a cruise out of Manhattan we park at the ferry in Weehawken. Just did this 4/29/12. I went to the desk and asked if I needed to do anything special since I was going to park for a week, they said there was no problem to park for the week and I didn't need to leave any form of note on the car. The fee was $10.00 a day. Great way to get to the port. We walk from the ferry terminal just a few blocks. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

I live in NJ, whenever we take a cruise out of Manhattan we park at the ferry in Weehawken. Just did this 4/29/12. I went to the desk and asked if I needed to do anything special since I was going to park for a week, they said there was no problem to park for the week and I didn't need to leave any form of note on the car. The fee was $10.00 a day. Great way to get to the port. We walk from the ferry terminal just a few blocks. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

I agree...I do not know if I would do the walk but even from there a taxi is so inexpensive. It is a great way to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just posting this as an "FYI" for anyone who might be interested:

I was at the Port Imperial ferry terminal a week ago Friday, & shot a brief video showing the terminal and its surroundings:

At the very beginning, you will see the NJ Transit Light Rail station (just a platform, really) just across the road from the ferry terminal, and there's a brief glimpse of the parking lot that's the subject of discussion in this thread. The lot is much more extensive than what you see here--but for aesthetic reasons, I didn't film the complete lot.

As the camera pans right, you'll see a structure under construction. mommyto2girls mentioned earlier that there's a hotel under construction near the terminal; but according to Wikipedia's "Weehawken Port Imperial" entry, the structure seen here will be an 850-car parking garage and retail space. If it's indeed a garage, presumably that will provide more parking options for cruisers--but likely at a higher cost than the current $10 per day parking fee at the open lot.

(I wonder if the current parking lot will be redeveloped once the new parking garage opens? It's a pretty valuable piece of real estate, with great views of the river and the Manhattan skyline, & I can't think that someone won't come along and build condos or a hotel there, if indeed such plans aren't already under way.)

Incidentally, after shooting this video I watched the Disney Magic pull out of her berth at Pier 88 and sail down the Hudson. I then continued walking south along the walkway to Lincoln Harbor, and took a quick look around the Lincoln Harbor enclave, where the Lincoln Harbor Sheraton is located. More on that area anon, in another thread...

Great video. It's nice to see that area developed. My I laws lived on top of the Palisades on Blvd. East for many years on the 33rd floor and we enjoyed the views of NY including the Bicentennial op-sail extravaganza.

• 1 month later...
We have stayed at the Weehawken Sheraton and left the car there. Very nice and relaxing beginning to our cruise. We took the ferry and walked to the cruise terminal. It was very easy.

Anyone have any more information on this? Sounds like a great alternative to parking at the pier.

Anyone have any more information on this? Sounds like a great alternative to parking at the pier.

I can't say this with 100% confidence (someone please confirm or contradict!), but my recollection of the last discussions of this topic is that the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor no longer permits you to park your car there beyond the time you're staying at the hotel.

You can pay to park at the nearby NY Waterway Port Imperial ferry terminal...I believe it costs $10 per day. The ferry will cost $9 per person in each direction.

Archived