MSC Poesia - very disappointing

svnet

Review cruise MSC Poesia April 21st to April 30th.

I would say disappointing...

Me and my husband went on our first MSC cruise for 10 days, we are 32 and 39 years old and took our baby with 9 months. We had already cruised twice with Royal Caribbean.

In spite of some bad reviews, we decided to give a chance and book with MSC, due to the itinerary, since it left from Lisbon, so we didn't had to took a plane with the baby.

It started bad right before leaving: I've sent 2 emails via website with some doubts about the shore excursions, and I didn't receive any answer.

The embarkation was very easy and fast, but no accompaniment and no information what so ever, we had to get in and find our way for ourselves, if we were first time cruisers we wouldn't know how to get around the ship and find the cabin and would have to call some crew member to assist...

The ship is recent and with all the amenities one can expect.

The staff is friendly and helpful, but it’s an Italian company, so there are many Italian, and we know that Italians can be a bit "difficult"...

We also had some problems with the food... we really thought some of the critics could have been a little picky, but the fact is that this is not the kind, or even quality of food we were used to in the other cruises we have done with Royal Caribbean. In the first day we rejected immediately the food in the buffet style restaurant "Vila Pompeiana", and had all our meals in the main restaurant - Breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food wasn't excellent were either, but better than in the buffet, and we could have more to choose from.

We had an Indonesian waiter: Suadnyana, that was very nice, and the head waiter was Croatian: Tomislav. They tried their best to provide us with the menu best dishes, but sometimes, it was really difficult... We had some bad meals and some good ones, we couldn't tell why there were some ups and downs, but we were really glad in the "bright days of the kitchen staff".

The ice cream and the coffee were Italians and were excellent. Some days we didn't even bother to try the deserts, ice cream is always a safe choice.

The other main problem we had, and its why we say "MSC never again", was the noise outside our cabin, a constant banging that started every day at 7:00 am, what a lousy daily wakening! I tried to know right in the first morning (Sunday) from our cabin attendant what was going on, and he said that he thought it were some maintenance work, that it should be finished in 2 or 3 days... But it didn't!. Wednesday I went to the reception complaining and they sent an officer to the cabin and hear/confirm the noise and said that they would try to find out the source. It continued every day, and Friday my husband went again to the reception to complain and another person came to the cabin to hear... We were very upset with this, including the fact that we had a nine months baby, with all the stress and that...

Only Saturday we were offered to change cabins (we were leaving Monday) - and we had one last morning of peaceful wakening.

And we received a call from the "supposed" guest relations manager (Italian), asking if everything was ok now... (!!??!) - they think that for offering a new cabin in the last day of our stay, that we were very happy, forgetting all the complaining we had, and all the different persons we had to talk to, and every day waking up with that awful noise...! - Of course things were not ok, and we were not happy with the way things happened and how we were treated...

Anyway... Problems apart we manage to have a nice family vacation, and rest from work days.

Looking forward for the next cruise… but not on MSC

I've done a number of MSC cruises and have reached "Gold" status. I'm sorry to say I am not surprised to hear of your experience. I was on the Poesia on the TA in March and everything has very much gone downhill. (The Italian officers beiing the exception as they have always been dreadful if you are not an Italian yourself.) I would say, however, that on my cruise the "guest hostess" for English speakers (Shameem) was helpful and very efficient.

I keep hearing good stories about Royal Caribbean so may try them soon.

WE like yourselves have done many cruises before with different companies and a number with Royal Carribbean. We have just returned from a short cruise with MSC on Armonia. Never again! It was deadful

Very true Deckhandoug. At least we learnt the inexpensive way! We will not be going with them again. Have never criticised any other cruise we have been on (7 in total) but this warranted a bit of a rant

• 3 weeks later...
We going to take the cruise from Kiel on July 14 and we would like to hear from other peoples on the same cruise.

Ury

We are leaving Saturday from Kiel and I'm planning on posting a review after the cruise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a positive experience, but it's all in what expectations you have too. We've never cruised on a large ship before so nothing to compare it too, only river cruise boats. I dont really think they are comparable. We are Americans living in Germany so we understand the culture a bit more than the average American tourist. We keep an open mind and hope for the best even with all of the bad reviews. Will let you know...

Its so sad, I did a two night cruise on the Poseia and left the ship so sad, SHe is such an attractive ship, but there are many staffing problems. The biggest issue is the horrible meals, with the two exceptional fee options and the Gelato. The problem is I don't see how I could servive a 16 day transatlantic being fed the way I was on that short cruise.

The MSC ships are easly as nice as Celebrity/Disney but the food problems onboard make the ships not a good option for Americans used to RCCL quality!

We are leaving Saturday from Kiel and I'm planning on posting a review after the cruise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a positive experience, but it's all in what expectations you have too. We've never cruised on a large ship before so nothing to compare it too, only river cruise boats. I dont really think they are comparable. We are Americans living in Germany so we understand the culture a bit more than the average American tourist. We keep an open mind and hope for the best even with all of the bad reviews. Will let you know...

You will have a great time. Keep a positive attitude and enjoy!!:)

Never cruised on MSC and beginning to be a little nervous about the January cruise? I guess I will not expect too much so I won't be disappointed. Lots of people will complain about anything just to vent, so I hope that is the reason for the unhappiness. I would like to hear something positive about the cruise.

On our 2003 MSC Opera's med. sailing, we found the Italian staffs in shore excursion dept. has very unfriendly attitudes toward non-Italian speaking person during the whole 12 days period. We did enjoy the entertainment team's activities & the foods & other services in general. Now we'll be on its Orchestra this July 31. Keep the fingers crossed.

The MSC ships are easly as nice as Celebrity/Disney but the food problems onboard make the ships not a good option for Americans used to RCCL quality!

I have to say that my food experiences with RCCL have been poorer than with MSC. That's not to say either were terrible, nor great, but if RCCL's the benchmark, I wouldn't be criticising MSC!

That said, there appear to be variations with RCCL. For example, some cruises apparently get lobster, whereas all the RCCL cruises I've been on haven't offered it. It's possible there's an alternate world of great food service on RCCL, but I haven't seen it, and there's also the not greatly different world from MSC that I have seen. Note this also is more about service quality as well.

Never cruised on MSC and beginning to be a little nervous about the January cruise? I guess I will not expect too much so I won't be disappointed. Lots of people will complain about anything just to vent, so I hope that is the reason for the unhappiness. I would like to hear something positive about the cruise.

We were on Splendida earlier this year and I have to say we didn't enjoy the overall experience but there were a few positives. The ship itself was stunningly beautiful and spotlessly clean, we had an inside cabin which was spacious comfortable and kept clean, entertainment was in the large very good, and bar staff we found freindly and helpful.

But do take into account some of the more negative reviews so not to have too high an expectation before you leave.

So sad to read this about our most favorite cruise ship. We have done only Caribbean cruising on MSC and it remains our favorite. I also thought the food was above any food choices I had on RCI which we sailed on 9 times.

MSC entertainment remains the all time best. I watch America's Got talent yr after year, Howie says, " I have never seen that before, this is so unique."

My husband and I turn to one another and say," We have, on MSC!!"

Their talent for every show makes this cruise line special.

We love their food with many excellent choices that they have.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to say that my food experiences with RCCL have been poorer than with MSC. That's not to say either were terrible, nor great, but if RCCL's the benchmark, I wouldn't be criticising MSC!

That said, there appear to be variations with RCCL. For example, some cruises apparently get lobster, whereas all the RCCL cruises I've been on haven't offered it. It's possible there's an alternate world of great food service on RCCL, but I haven't seen it, and there's also the not greatly different world from MSC that I have seen. Note this also is more about service quality as well.

With RCCL it really depends on the ship, some are toward poor, Enchantment/Monarch; while Adventure/Vision/Grandure were quite good.

I've done a number of MSC cruises and have reached "Gold" status. I'm sorry to say I am not surprised to hear of your experience. I was on the Poesia on the TA in March and everything has very much gone downhill. (The Italian officers beiing the exception as they have always been dreadful if you are not an Italian yourself.) I would say, however, that on my cruise the "guest hostess" for English speakers (Shameem) was helpful and very efficient.

I keep hearing good stories about Royal Caribbean so may try them soon.

Does it help if one looks Italian (some think my wife is, though she's not)? lol

We have a booking for a cruise over Easter 2013...tough to beat $1,700 for 3 people in a balcony cabin. We have quite a while until we have to fully commit or back out (and we only tied up $200 total deposit).

Does it help if one looks Italian (some think my wife is, though she's not)? lol

We have a booking for a cruise over Easter 2013...tough to beat $1,700 for 3 people in a balcony cabin. We have quite a while until we have to fully commit or back out (and we only tied up $200 total deposit).

We are booked on the same cruise and are really looking forward to it. I have read some great reviews about this ship so fingers crossed we will be fine. We have sailed on Costa and expect a similar experience. We can't wait! Caribbean sun in April, bliss!

So sad to read this about our most favorite cruise ship. We have done only Caribbean cruising on MSC and it remains our favorite. I also thought the food was above any food choices I had on RCI which we sailed on 9 times.

MSC entertainment remains the all time best. I watch America's Got talent yr after year, Howie says, " I have never seen that before, this is so unique."

My husband and I turn to one another and say," We have, on MSC!!"

Their talent for every show makes this cruise line special.

We love their food with many excellent choices that they have.

For a great site to check out all tours and trip info:

*VISIT OUR STAR PRINCESS WEBSITE: Star Princess Information Link

Is this linked site some form of commercial adventure at which I can sign up for an MSC cruise?

On our 2003 MSC Opera's med. sailing, we found the Italian staffs in shore excursion dept. has very unfriendly attitudes toward non-Italian speaking person during the whole 12 days period. We did enjoy the entertainment team's activities & the foods & other services in general. Now we'll be on its Orchestra this July 31. Keep the fingers crossed.

You have been on a few cruises on different lines, as have we. I take your choice to book again on MSC to be the most valuable statement about MSC's quality/value. No line is as good as its cheerleaders nor as bad as some, without a range of experience, would portray. Thank you for your post.

we are just back from our cruise on the msc splendida and must say i will never cruise with msc again it was just a big let down we have never complained about anything before but i have about this cruise , i did read the reviews before we went so we went with an open mind but were very disapointed the food , entertainment , the kids club were a big let down reception staff and accounting staff need to learn some manners and the italians need to learn to queue up and stop pushing getting into the lifts and at the buffet stop passing people who have queued up and waited their turn , so my next cruise is anyother liner but will never be MSC

I have been looking out for you, when I saw your screen name on the list I smiled. HOW the heck have you both been?

AS you can see we are NOT doing MSC this year for the first time in 4 years. The only 10 day cruises are in Dec and the 1-11 is a jazz cruise and I have been to the ports too many times. For the 11-21 I did not want to fly on the 21st, although I hope nothing is going to happen( dec 21, 2012 is not a date to be flying for me and my fears....).

We re looking into sailing the following year for sure. I did not know the itinerary for the new ship is out.

Can you PLS email me with the email below and send me the info.

SO great to be "talking" to you again.

Cori

Archived