Motion sickness meds

Why wait ?

If you think you're likely to need them, buy them before the cruise, that way you're prepared. Note also that these meds are most effective if you take them well before symptoms appear.

most ships will have complimentary meds at the guest services desk...I made that mistake on my very first cruise.....but since then, I take them ahead of time...they are available at your local drug store, walmart, etc....inexpensive and well worth not ruining your vacation....

I start taking them (bonine for me) the night before we sail and then every night before bed (in case of drowsiness)...works like a charm!

I was not on Elation, but just got off the Conquest and saw them in the gift shop. I would imagine all of the gift shops have them available. But any kind of medicine from the gift shop is going to be very expensive. I bought mine at the grocery store at home (did not feel like making a special trip to Walmart or Walgreens to save a few pennies) and it was still very cheap, like a couple of dollars maybe.

most ships will have complimentary meds at the guest services desk...I made that mistake on my very first cruise.....but since then, I take them ahead of time...they are available at your local drug store, walmart, etc....inexpensive and well worth not ruining your vacation....

I start taking them (bonine for me) the night before we sail and then every night before bed (in case of drowsiness)...works like a charm!

I believe they charge you for them at Guest Services, and yes, they are about triple the price in the Gift Shop! Get them at your local pharmacy!

Can Bonine or Dramamine be purchased anywhere aboard the Elation?

The gift shops have a little area where they sell basic OTC meds and will have Bonine/Dramamine for sale, but I'm like the others...you should get it ahead of time. If you wait til you feel seasick, you're going to have a lousy time for awhile because it takes awhile for the medicine to kick in and catch up to your sick tummy. I made that mistake ONE time and couldn't eat dinner because my soup looked like it was moving and I spent the first evening of y cruise in bed. I'll never wait that long again to take the pills...even if I don't feel like I need them yet.

Buy them before you leave. If you know you are prone to motion sickness it's better to have them in hand. I am prone to it so I got a low midship cabin. But I will still start taking dramamine 2 days before I cruise. This gets it into my system. I take it before bedtime so it knocks me out, still in my system the next day and I can function without being a zombie. Works like a charm. I also sit facing the way the ship is moving in the dining rooms and on decks.

Enjoy your cruise!

I will be sailing for the first time in about 8 days... I have purchased some meds to take for seasickness, but I have no idea if I get seasick, seeing as how I have never cruised. I think I am going to risk it and not take any before I sail, and just take the meds with me and start on them if I feel sick. I don't get carsick, and the only time I get motion sickness is like on round rides, like teacups or tilt-a-whirl.. I don't ride those...

I will be sailing for the first time in about 8 days... I have purchased some meds to take for seasickness, but I have no idea if I get seasick, seeing as how I have never cruised. I think I am going to risk it and not take any before I sail, and just take the meds with me and start on them if I feel sick. I don't get carsick, and the only time I get motion sickness is like on round rides, like teacups or tilt-a-whirl.. I don't ride those...

Just a note, even people who NEVER get motion sickness for any reason can sometimes get seasick if the seas are rough so it's good that you are going prepared. It does take a little while for the meds to kick in so at the very first feeling of "I feel ill" take them.

they had Meclazine on Inspiration and it worked for me...not sure of it's other name to buy in a Pharmacy. Dramamine maybe?

Dramamine's (original formula) generic name is dimenhydrinate.

Meclazine or meclizine is the generic name for Antivert, Bonine, or Dramamine II.

I'm a fan of the scopolamine patch (TransDerm Scop), but it's prescription only.

...you should get it ahead of time.

If you wait til you feel seasick, you're going to have a lousy time for awhile

because it takes awhile for the medicine to kick in and catch up to your sick tummy.

Ginger Ale, ginger biscuits and ginger pills also work on a natural basis

and can be useful stomach settlers while waiting for the Bonine to kick in

Dramamine's (original formula) generic name is dimenhydrinate.

Meclazine or meclizine is the generic name for Antivert, Bonine, or Dramamine II.

I'm a fan of the scopolamine patch (TransDerm Scop), but it's prescription only.

thanks, those help me on our last cruise, ginger pills did nothing

Archived