Back from the NCL Sun "Baltic" Cruise

nonni22

Just got back from the May 4, 2012 Baltic Cruise on NCL Sun. Hopefully, I can help answer your questions. We used SPB Tours in St. Petersburg, did all other ports on our own.

Welcome back! Hope you had a wonderful trip. We embark one month from today!

Trying to think whether I have any specific questions. I'm sure I'll think of some as we get closer, but for now...is there anything you wish you had known ahead of time, either about the ship or the ports, that you know now? :) We're also going with SPB and doing the rest on our own.

Thanks!

Welcome back! I have been daydreaming about this cruise for a while. A few quick questions if you you don't mind.

Did you find the cruise busy enough(port and ship wise) that a inside cabin wouldn't be that big of a deal? I'm a solo traveler and usually an inside is the most I wanna spend on a cabin unless it's a special occasion.

Did you find it expensive in port? I have read a lot of reviews that say dining and shopping are overpriced. I'm used to East Coast high prices but I would need to know how to budget.

How did you find the ship? The reviews are so mixed that it's hard to get a good read.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Just got back from the May 4, 2012 Baltic Cruise on NCL Sun. Hopefully, I can help answer your questions. We used SPB Tours in St. Petersburg, did all other ports on our own.

Hi,

I certainly hope you enjoyed your vacation. I have his question about the port in Stockholm.

Did the ship docked at Stadsgarden or Fihamnen port? I am really hoping that it docks at Stadsgarden so we can walk to Gamla Stan.

thanks!

Hi,

I certainly hope you enjoyed your vacation. I have his question about the port in Stockholm.

Did the ship docked at Stadsgarden or Fihamnen port? I am really hoping that it docks at Stadsgarden so we can walk to Gamla Stan.

thanks!

NCL docked at Stadsgarden and we walked into town. It took 30 minutes to get to Gamla Stan, another 10 minutes to city center. Very few places open before 10am so don't rush getting off the ship. I think the hop on hop off would have been a bargain. NCL offered maps and information at Guest Services.

How was the weather? We're booked for next May on the Star and expect it to be a bit chilly. Thanks!

The weather was great - 50s and 60s during the day. It only rained 1 day and just for a few minutes even though rain was forcast for every day when we checked prior to our departure. Layers are the way to go.

Hi,

thanks!

The Sun stops will be at either port this season, it depends on which date you're going.

Glad you had a nice cruise. We're going at the end of June. What did you see in Stockholm and Helsinki? How did you get in to town in Helsinki? Is there a shuttle from the ship in either of those ports or in Tallinn?

Was anyone able/brave enough to use the pools? :-)

Thanks.

Welcome back! Hope you had a wonderful trip. We embark one month from today!

Trying to think whether I have any specific questions. I'm sure I'll think of some as we get closer, but for now...is there anything you wish you had known ahead of time, either about the ship or the ports, that you know now? :) We're also going with SPB and doing the rest on our own.

Thanks!

I wish I had taken a bar of soap. Make sure you check out the Moderno, next to the sports bar, a great place for breakfast or lunch. We didn't find it until the 4th day. It was less crowded than the regular buffet.

We were pleased with our SPB 2 day tour. They are very professional.

Glad you had a nice cruise. We're going at the end of June. What did you see in Stockholm and Helsinki? How did you get in to town in Helsinki? Is there a shuttle from the ship in either of those ports or in Tallinn?

Was anyone able/brave enough to use the pools? :-)

Thanks.

I didn't see anyone in the pool, but there were a few brave souls in the hot tub.

I believe the ship offers transportation into most ports.

In Helsinki we took a public bus 14b from the port into town (street market). The bus stop is by the entrance to the port and to the left. Bought a day pass for 7E, make sure you ask for it or you will get a one way for 2.70. The #3 tram, in front of the train station, circles the city. Rock church was interesting.

In Tallinn we walked into the old town from the ship. Wonderful views from upper town. Great maps at information center. Many restaurants, shops and tourists!

In Stockholm we walkd into Gamla Staden, (30 min) next time I would take the HO HO, you can catch it right at the ship. We walked right past the ferry to Djurgards staden (Vasa Museum). We could actually see the museum from the shore.

Welcome back! I have been daydreaming about this cruise for a while. A few quick questions if you you don't mind.

Did you find the cruise busy enough(port and ship wise) that a inside cabin wouldn't be that big of a deal? I'm a solo traveler and usually an inside is the most I wanna spend on a cabin unless it's a special occasion.

Did you find it expensive in port? I have read a lot of reviews that say dining and shopping are overpriced. I'm used to East Coast high prices but I would need to know how to budget.

How did you find the ship? The reviews are so mixed that it's hard to get a good read.

Yes, the ports are expensive, especially Copenhagen, I would suggest that you eat on the ship and take public transportation.

There is plenty to do on the ship and after 6 ports to explore you won't be bored! You will need to book a tour in St. Petersburg, can't do that on your own.

The staff are very friendly and efficient, the food was good and plentiful. Ice cream bar is opened for most of the day. Very nice library and card room. NCL is a very good value, you won't be disapointed.

Thanks for all the answers, nonni!

I thought of another question...how good are the curtains in the cabins at blocking light? I'm already having trouble getting my 4-year-old to go to bed because "it's not dark out" :rolleyes:, and we'll be cruising during the summer solstice!

Thanks for all the answers, nonni!

I thought of another question...how good are the curtains in the cabins at blocking light? I'm already having trouble getting my 4-year-old to go to bed because "it's not dark out" :rolleyes:, and we'll be cruising during the summer solstice!

The curtains did a good job of blocking out the sun, just make sure they are completely closed. The sun rose as early as 5am. From Copenhagen to St. Petersburg you will lose 2 additional hours.

Welcome back!

Did you watch the Sun sail into Stockholm? I am wondering how early we'd need to get up to view the lovely archipelagos.

We did get up at 5:30am, but later realized that we could have slept longer since the ship goes out the same way it comes in! After leaving the port, we sat on the rear deck had scones and tea and watched the wonderful scenery go by. What a treat that was.:)

Hop on hop off is great for Helsinki, doesn't cost that much and you can see everything!

Would you mind telling me where to get tickets and catch the HOHO? We are leaving in a bit over a week and I haven't finished planning!! One daughter was assigned to plan Helsinki, but not sure if she has planned for the HOHO..

Robin

We did this cruise last fall (last cruise of the season). Our friends had an inside cabin on Deck 8. It was a great location and size-wise, equivalent to a balcony or oceanview.

European ports are expensive. By preplanning, we had local currency for each port and did fine. Check out the open-air markets.

The Sun was our least favorite ship but there was always something to do (and we were on her for 28 days). Next year, the Star (somewhat newer, larger ship) will take the Sun's place in the Baltics.

We're sailing on 7/6/ -our first cruise - and have really enjoyed reading (and meeting) other cruisers).

Are there laundry facilities for passengers' use?

Thanks for answering so many questions!

We're sailing on 7/6/ -our first cruise - and have really enjoyed reading (and meeting) other cruisers).

Are there laundry facilities for passengers' use?

Thanks for answering so many questions!

There are no public laundry facilities on Norwegian ships. There will be a laundry special once or twice on board, fill the laundry bag with as much as you can for a flat fee of approx. $30. People are creative and said they can stuff a lot of clothes if they are rolled up small. I think you can get a couple pair of jeans and several shirts.

Hope this helps!

Archived