Grand Princess vs Celebrity Solstice Alaska

margob111

I'm considering two different cruise lines to Alaska in May of next year. The Grand Princess will depart from San Francisco for 10 days, so very convenient for me, and the itinerary includes Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm. I could also fly to Seattle and take the Solstice but it's 7 days and Glacier Bay is not on the itinerary. I took a Mediterranean cruise on the Solstice last year and it's a beautiful ship. We are going with another couple and they are funny about things like the bathrooms in the staterooms. I know the Grand Princess has been newly refurbished but I haven't seen any pictures of the refurbished cabins. We've only taken one cruise and loved Celebrity. Any thoughts about the Grand Princess vs. Celebrity? Thanks for your comments. Once we decide on the ship then I can focus on the ports.

Margaret

If the choice was the ships I would take the Celebrity one. But, Alaska is all about the ports and the itinerary for the Grand Princes ship is better than the Celebrity one. So, if it was me, I would let the itinerary be the decider and in this case take the Princess cruise.

Keith

Be aware that Princess docks in Whittier, Celebrity docks in Seward. This might make a difference for you , just FYI.

Not so much. OP is sailing on the Grand Princess...a rt

Alaska itinerary from San Francisco.

I'm considering two different cruise lines to Alaska in May of next year. The Grand Princess will depart from San Francisco for 10 days, so very convenient for me, and the itinerary includes Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm. I could also fly to Seattle and take the Solstice but it's 7 days and Glacier Bay is not on the itinerary. I took a Mediterranean cruise on the Solstice last year and it's a beautiful ship. We are going with another couple and they are funny about things like the bathrooms in the staterooms. I know the Grand Princess has been newly refurbished but I haven't seen any pictures of the refurbished cabins. We've only taken one cruise and loved Celebrity. Any thoughts about the Grand Princess vs. Celebrity? Thanks for your comments. Once we decide on the ship then I can focus on the ports.

Margaret

I tend to go with the people who say choose based on the itinerary. However, I will tell you that I have sailed on both the Solstice and the Ruby Princesss and there was simply no comparison. The Solstice was far superior and we were disappointed with the Ruby Princess based on the comparison. But, the excursions on Princess may be better--I don't know.

Archived