Problems parking at the NYC pier?

purrfect007

I tried to reserve parking, but was told not to worry. Really? Wow...is the parking really that vast? I'm trying not to be concerned but knowing NY parking seems to always be something to be concerned about.

We plan to arrive at 10.30 to park and hopefully walk to the check in area by 11.

Do you have to drag your bags from parking lot to check in? I suppose...it's really nice to have this place to ask questions and eliminate unhappy surprises!:)

We have sailed from NYC at least 4 or 5 times and never had a problem finding a parking space. I think since its such an urban setting, many people arrive by taxi, limo, train, bus, etc. They have changed the way you enter the garage and it is easier to pull in to the parking area, pay, park and unload your luggage and take a huge elevator to the area where you turn your bags over to a porter. If you happen to arrive while people are disembarking you might catch a porter with a cart on his way back to this area but unless you have way too many suitcases it really isn't hard. When you have turned your checked luggage over to the porters to go on the ship, take your carry-on, enter the building and check in. NYC is one of the easiest ports to embark in my opinion. I'm jealous, my next cruise is not til Feb. 2013. ;(

I tried to reserve parking, but was told not to worry. Really? Wow...is the parking really that vast? I'm trying not to be concerned but knowing NY parking seems to always be something to be concerned about.

We plan to arrive at 10.30 to park and hopefully walk to the check in area by 11.

Do you have to drag your bags from parking lot to check in? I suppose...it's really nice to have this place to ask questions and eliminate unhappy surprises!:)

You won't have a problem parking at the pier, especially if you arrive at 10:30am. There is an elevator and also escalators to get your luggage downstairs to give to the porters. We have occasionally had to park on one pier while we were actually leaving from another but usually you then are at that pier when you return.

Thanks for this post. I was a little concerned about the garage filling up too. What time does it open in the morning? I like to get to the port early since traffic can be hit and miss coming up the turnpike.

Thanks for this post. I was a little concerned about the garage filling up too. What time does it open in the morning? I like to get to the port early since traffic can be hit and miss coming up the turnpike.

The parking areas are located outside atop the pier terminals.

The info on the parking web page says it opens at 9 am. The URL is http://www.nycruise.com/parkNYC.html

If your assigned parking lot atop one of the terminals is still too full from passengers departing the ship, they will have you wait temporarily in your car in a different terminal lot until enough spots free up.

A word of caution... your GPS may not be acurate in the city!!! Print directions out. We have had intermittant problems in Manhatten. Washington and Philadelphia. There is also alot of construction on the turnpike. Leave yourself enough time. We are leaving in 3 weeks and are starting to figure out when to leave. This is our 5th time from NYC and have never had a problem parking. Bon Voyage!:)

Easy parking. We were actually able to look down at our vehicle from the ship and noticed one of our kids had left the back window open a crack. I left the ship, went back to the parking, did up the window. Only about 1/2 an inch but if it had rained hard it could have been messy.

If all three Piers fill up (never reported here on CC) then there is overflow space across 12th Ave.

Not a shot of parking but you get the idea at the bottom of the pix:

pier.jpg

And here on top of Pier 88/90 you see the cars, just do not park under a street lamp or your car maybe used by some of the birds...

pier88.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
What is the pier address? I can't find it and would like to enter into my gps. All I find online are the cross streets. Thank you for your help:rolleyes:

Google is your friend ... Input - 711 12th Avenue, New York, NY 10019 (also, refer to as Pier 88 or Pier 90 - sometimes refer to as Route 9A as in the good old days, as it was known as the West Side Highway extension)

If you are driving north toward the terminal, you will need to go up to 57th Street & make a left at the light, then another left to go southbound, then keep right to access pier's arrival/dropoff on level 2 (good signage in the area, plus you will see the ships docked, so it's hard to miss it.)

Google is your friend ... Input - 711 12th Avenue, New York, NY 10019 (also, refer to as Pier 88 or Pier 90 - sometimes refer to as Route 9A as in the good old days, as it was known as the West Side Highway extension)

If you are driving north toward the terminal, you will need to go up to 57th Street & make a left at the light, then another left to go southbound, then keep right to access pier's arrival/dropoff on level 2 (good signage in the area, plus you will see the ships docked, so it's hard to miss it.)

this is incorrect. coming north you can simply make a left turn into the port at 55th street. you will see the sign and the ships.

[/color]

this is incorrect. coming north you can simply make a left turn into the port at 55th street. you will see the sign and the ships.

Thanks, oops, you are right - as long as you are driving on the outside & keep left, merge ahead into the single left turn lane at the light. When traffic is backed up & there is traffic agent assigned, they will sometimes wave cars away at busy time if the entire area is bumper-to-bumper & gridlocked. It should read left turn at 59th Street, (not 57th St - typo & can't undo/change) underneath the WSH overpass above (if the 55th Street turn is not accessible for whatever reasons) - when we used car service coming from East Side, driver always take 59th Street to crosstown & turn left at the dead end before the Hudson River, and it will lead to the on-ramps for the pier/level 2 dropoff.

Archived