Holland cruise for 4 relaxing moms?

tikibeach

Hi, I'm looking for some insight on Holland cruises. Southern or Eastern Caribbean if that matters, on the Westerdam or Eurodam.

I have taken 3 RC cruises and one Carnival. RC is my hands down favorite so far.

Anyway, we are ages 24-46, 2 are smokers and we are all very light drinkers - not looking to close down the bars at 4 a.m., but would like some entertainment after dinner too.

Are most Holland passengers, in your experience friendly? Will there be enough to do? Will I be made to walk the plank if I smoke on my balcony? Also, in order to least offend neighbors with said balcony smoking, which side of the ship should I book?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

I have done Liberty of the Seas and Nieuw Amsterdam, both Caribbean.

For HAL, I'd suggest to pick an itinerary that has 4 ports. The eastern one should be fine; the southern one on westerdam while nice to go to Aruba, I think I will be bored on the ship. Simply just take a look at their brochures, RCI's emphasis is on the ship, onboard activities and entertainment. Whereas HAL's emphasis is about their itineraries, services and, as they said, "timeless sophistication". I will choose HAL for a port-intensive itinerary like Alaska, Med or Panama Canal.

Edit: if you have 10-11 days and can do Noordam, Maasdam or Zuiderdam then it is a different story. Those will be perfect IMO.

Smoking on HAL balconies is *absolutely permitted*. There are no "smoking" vs. "non-smoking" sides of the ship. Many HAL non-smokers seem to prefer to book near the front or midship, on the theory that smoke drifts back, in direction of the ship's motion.

So, a cabin near the stern/back might work better. Fewer people in the smoke's path.

However, no smoking in the cabin.

If you do book, you'll find past pax (Mariners) tend to call the line "Holland America" or "HAL" - abbrebviation for Holland America Line. There was a recent thread on the HAL board, referring to the line as "Holland" = nails on a chalk board.

Re: evening entertainment....I suggest you look for one of the ships with both a Northern Lights Disco and a Piano Bar on the lower prom deck. That means one of the 4 Vista ships (Noordam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam and Westerdam) or the 2 Signature ones (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam). The dedicated nightclub and piano bar seems to make for more lively night life, IME.

In daylight hours, team trivia is a daily event, usually in the Crow's Nest. I suggest you try it the first full day out, and see if it's a daily "must do" for you, as it is for me. Other day activities include free computer classes, photo classes, culinary demos, and occasionally lectures. As Friend100 says, these are not ships with "all the toys". No flow riders, rock walls, or (thank goodness) movie screen by the pool. Instead, wrap around teak promenade deck, with traditional steamer chairs. Real, fresh flowers everywhere.

Just did the Eurodam East Caribbean with 3 friends. Private island Half Moon Cay seems to get voted "best private island" every year. At $300, renting a private cabana on the island is pricey, but the 4 of us felt it was a lot of pampering for $75 each. Worth it for us, YMMV.

I absolutely love HAL, but I think you'll find it very different from Carnival or RCI. It tends to be much quieter, although I think their Caribbean cruises might be just a little bit livlier and with some younger passengers. You certainly won't be dancing until 4am I don't think! The best cruise I ever did was on HAL's Zuiderdam, but that was a 22 nighter - I didn't want to get off at the end!

I agree with Fann1sh - Half Moon Cay is absolute perfection and the cabanas are wonderful. We felt renting one was was well worth the money.

No flow riders, rock walls, or (thank goodness) movie screen by the pool. Instead, wrap around teak promenade deck, with traditional steamer chairs. Real, fresh flowers everywhere.

Just did the Eurodam East Caribbean with 3 friends. Private island Half Moon Cay seems to get voted "best private island" every year. At $300, renting a private cabana on the island is pricey, but the 4 of us felt it was a lot of pampering for $75 each. Worth it for us, YMMV.

tikibeach, the info above is reason enough. I think "4 relaxing moms" are in for a wonderful, traditional cruise. And the Eurodam offers The Retreat on board as well.

Archived