Sunscreen, Name brand or store brand?

gambler

I burn really easily but swim outdoors 3-5 times a week in the summer and also hike some as well. I've experimented a LOT with sunblock. For waterproof, Banana Boat Sport in the tube keeps me from burning and stays on.

I will burn like crazy in anything Neutrogena (they have tested poorly in many tests.) Burt's Bees also tests poorly for protection. Coppertone is sort of middle of the road - works ok for just regular use but doesn't seem to hold up to sweat or water.

For the dead of summer or the Caribbean sun (I've burned in 60spf snorkeling - even reapplied every two hours!) I swear by a surfer rash guard. I get mine from Land's End since they come in "real people" sizes - Lol. Keeps my back protected while snorkeling or swimming and surprisingly comfortable to swim in.

I have been using Neutrogena spray. With 3 sea days and 3 beach days on this cruise, I am looking for some cheaper options. Want to get some color, but not burned.

What are your favorites? Thinking about trying Cvs or Walgreens brands? etc

According to a few consumer reports that my dad sent me, Walgreens brand as well as Target's Up & Up brand are rated the top two sunscreens available. I use the Up & Up SPF 30. Never had any problems at all. But it's all what ever you are comfortable with as well. Hope this helps you in your decision.

I love the Up & Up sport spray.

But even though its water and sweat proof I still reapply when I get out of the water. And Typically I apply the sunscreen before I leave the house (or cabin), I read that somewhere it takes like 30 minutes for sunscreen to attach to the skin.

Thanks for the great info everyone, decisions...decisions.

As one poster did say, if you are trying something new, it is important to test it.

I remember now using a Clinque sunscreen for faces (I use other Clinque products all the time) on the first sea day. Got itchy watery eyes and a rash on my face.

Walgreen brand was named. Consumer Reports best buy. I've used it...works well :)

i was just going to mention that!

I know the most recent Consumer Reports just did a test/write-up comparing sunscreen. I've used Walgreens brand...not for tanning purposes...i'm naturally brown:p but for sunscreen protection. I love Walgreens Sunscreen. Not too oily either.

I love the idea of the environmentally friendly/chemical free sunblocks, but haven't had good luck with them. They are a real pain to rub in, thick and goopy, leave my skin sticky, and have what I find to be a slightly unpleasant odor. I do use an oil free one for snorkeling, though.

Thanks for the great info everyone, decisions...decisions.

As one poster did say, if you are trying something new, it is important to test it.

I remember now using a Clinque sunscreen for faces (I use other Clinque products all the time) on the first sea day. Got itchy watery eyes and a rash on my face.

Oh, I forgot to say, Yeah TX, Dh is from Mineral Wells.!

Happy Sailing,

I love the idea of the environmentally friendly/chemical free sunblocks, but haven't had good luck with them. They are a real pain to rub in, thick and goopy, leave my skin sticky, and have what I find to be a slightly unpleasant odor. I do use an oil free one for snorkeling, though.

I'll have to look up the brand that we used on our last cruise. We didn't have any issues applying it. Even if it was a little bit of a hassle, however, the hassle is worth it compared to not having coral and beautiful fish to look at while snorkeling :) We only used it when going in the ocean. For sea days or walking around in port we used a regular sunscreen.

being out on the water often Im a fan of Bulldog...

as another poster stated dont forget to pack it.. wife once ran short and had to buy some in port, while it was costly it was apparrantly a knock off as she got burned in a couple hrs !

Do you mean bullfrog? Yes, that stuff is amazing. I can be in the lake all day and be protected. it stays on great!

The main thing is if it stays on in water, if you are going to be sweating and in the water etc.

Are you using it on kids? Some can run and sting in your eyes too. So something to think about.

Just make sure to follow labels and reapply if you spend alot of time sweating or in the water.

Bullfrog has worked the best for me staying on the longest in the water. I use the coppertone for kids and it doesn't burn their eyes. I have used the noad before (walmart off brand i believe it was) and it worked, just stung when got in eyes too.

i usually stock up on sunblock at the end of the year for the following year. we live near the lake and have a pool, so we use a ton of sunblock not to mention sports/outdoors.

I use Banana Boat. Works great. I also sometimes use Water Babies... it works for us adults as well as the babies... Great protectection. spf 50. I have been in the hottest sun imaginable with this on and didnt burn.

My dermatologist said not to put anything with a higher protection than 15 on the face. It can hurt your skin. But I still go a little higher if my face is not well tanned.

Do you mean bullfrog? Yes, that stuff is amazing. I can be in the lake all day and be protected. it stays on great!

sorry yes i did mean Bullfrog , goes on once and stays on, not sticky and no smell... I like the gel personaly

I'll have to look up the brand that we used on our last cruise. We didn't have any issues applying it. Even if it was a little bit of a hassle, however, the hassle is worth it compared to not having coral and beautiful fish to look at while snorkeling :) We only used it when going in the ocean. For sea days or walking around in port we used a regular sunscreen.

I suck it up and use it for the few times I'm in the ocean. For my normal pool swimming and hiking, though, I go back to the regular stuff. :)

I swear by the CVS brand and actually just turned a friend on to it on our last cruise. I burn VERY easily, as does my son and we can't even use the sprays because we don't get a thick enough protection. So, I use the CVS brand Sport lotion in an SPF 50. I was out in the sun all day this Saturday (in Houston, TX, so we get strong sun here) and walked away tanned, and that NEVER happens for me with any other sunscreen. Bullfrog was horrible for us, my son got so burnt with that. I do use a separate face lotion though because I'll break out from normal sunscreen on my face.

We use Target brand SPF 30. Wouldn't use anything else. It is cheaper and has gotten great reviews. We are cruising in about a month (7/1) and I have started to stock up. We got some the other day at Target, a 3-pack for $13.99. We do use Ocean Potion special face lotion for our face. I think it is about $3 and is a SPF50.

I remember reading the reviews on it too (and I love Target anyway so it was a good excuse to go there). We got the 3-pack as well just purchased the other day. I'll have to look into the Ocean Potion for face though. I've been wondering what I could get that would work well on my face without making me break out.

If you want to stick with Neutrogena, Costco usually has 2-packs of both the spray and lotion kinds for about what 1 bottle runs at Target or a drug store. My sister pretty much has to use Neutrogena (everything else she's tried breaks her out in hives). I LOVE the Nuetrogena Sport Face lotion. Not greasy, doesn't break me out, doesn't melt off and run into your eyes, and I can put it on once in the morning, be out in the sun all day and not have my face burn. For everything but my face, I prefer Bullfrog. It's cheaper and seems to last longer if you're in the water for extended periods of time than the Neutrogena products.

Oh, and if you burn easily, I highly recommend getting a rash guard to wear when snorkeling. Just be sure to get one with a high neck line so the back of your neck is covered up too!

Archived