Brilliance of the Seas - Norwegian Fjords

Will be travelling on the Brilliance in two weeks time visiting Geiranger, Alensund, Molde and Bergen. What are interesting places to visit, and will we be able to look round under our own steam, or do we need to book excursions?

Also is the weather similar to the UK or do we need to take warmer clothing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We did the Norwegian Fjords on Jewel a few years ago, as part of a British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise. We visited Flam, Geiranger, Alesund and Bergen. I have photos and a short write up posted at http://travel.webshots.com/album/552362325krliPX?start=72

We cruised at the end of June and the weather was quite changeable as you will see from the photos. We did all ship's tours. They were excellent, well planned and we got to see quite a lot of Norway. We did Geiranger as part of our stop at Alesund. If your cruise is the same, I would definitely recommend booking a tour.

Will be travelling on the Brilliance in two weeks time visiting Geiranger, Alensund, Molde and Bergen. What are interesting places to visit, and will we be able to look round under our own steam, or do we need to book excursions?

Also is the weather similar to the UK or do we need to take warmer clothing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We just returned from the Brilliance and visited some of the same ports. The weather is similar to the UK - so just be prepared for cool and rain. You can do the ports on your own and there are some local tours to take I(or not) when you get off the ship. In Alesund there was a HoHo tram available; the sites of Bergen and the town is walkable right from the ship; Geiranger also has some local offerings, but you might want to purchase a bus ride up the mountain from the ship. Geiranger is magnificent. The sail in and sail out are really the highlights. There is a tour office right where the tender lets you off. We did not go to Molde. We found it not necessary to change money in krone, as euros, dollars and charge cards were accepted everywhere. Hope this helps.

As well as joining your Roll Call (I'm on the 2 June with villauk too), I'd suggest having a look in the Europe/Northern Europe & Baltics ports of call forum. Lots of good info there - look out for TLCOhio, who has a very detailed trip report from a couple of years ago with great photos, and posts frequently there.

We just returned from the Brilliance and visited some of the same ports. The weather is similar to the UK - so just be prepared for cool and rain. You can do the ports on your own and there are some local tours to take I(or not) when you get off the ship. In Alesund there was a HoHo tram available; the sites of Bergen and the town is walkable right from the ship; Geiranger also has some local offerings, but you might want to purchase a bus ride up the mountain from the ship. Geiranger is magnificent. The sail in and sail out are really the highlights. There is a tour office right where the tender lets you off. We did not go to Molde. We found it not necessary to change money in krone, as euros, dollars and charge cards were accepted everywhere. Hope this helps.

Thank you Crimsonbird for your helpful information.

It's good to know we do not need to change any money, we thought we would have to.

Can you tell me what is a HoHo tram, is it similar to a hop on hop off bus? Can you also give my an idea of prices for the tram and buses?

Thanks very much.

Forget that last quote about the HoHo bus, I'm having a senior moment.

Archived